U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM

367 posts, read 557,769 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Davidson area to help w/ my wife's commute.

Right now her commute is an hour both ways up 77 and it's only going to get worse with the toll project getting started.

We drove around Davidson the past weekend and checked out some of the neighborhoods.

I guess I'm biased, but I love the neighborhoods in Charlotte- specifically Cotswold where we live.

When we drove around Davidson, it was all subdivisions. That's not a bad thing, but I just don't want to live in a subdivision of 100 homes built by a national builder. A lot of these homes were built in the 1990s and I'm not a fan of the style. (we live in a home that's 2 years old and has a craftsman style)

Our budget is $500k - $700... maybe a bit higher, but it has to be a great neighborhood.

We checked out River Run and few other places.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:45 PM

487 posts, read 656,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
We may be moving to the Davidson area to help w/ my wife's commute.

Right now her commute is an hour both ways up 77 and it's only going to get worse with the toll project getting started.

We drove around Davidson the past weekend and checked out some of the neighborhoods.

I guess I'm biased, but I love the neighborhoods in Charlotte- specifically Cotswold where we live.

When we drove around Davidson, it was all subdivisions. That's not a bad thing, but I just don't want to live in a subdivision of 100 homes built by a national builder. A lot of these homes were built in the 1990s and I'm not a fan of the style. (we live in a home that's 2 years old and has a craftsman style)

Our budget is $500k - $700... maybe a bit higher, but it has to be a great neighborhood.

We checked out River Run and few other places.

Any suggestions?
The best part about Davidson is the LACK of subdivisions. There is davidson and then there is DAVIDSON and what you sound like you were looking in is the outskirts ("davidson") If you don't want to live in a subdivision why were you driving through subdivisions?

I would look closer to Main Street where the homes are more custom. Shearer road has some for sale too that are not cookie cutter. East Rocky River too. Davidson-Concrod Rd etc aka STAY OUT OF THE SUBDIVISIONS!

These outskirt areas that you are talking about are not the real DAVIDSON. I live on a perfectly lovely cul de sac of custom built homes right on the town edge (literally). What drew us to the area is the lack of subdivisions, no HOAs (yet interestingly the homes are kept up without big brother telling you to do so)

I think you need to find a Realtor who knows the area.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:39 PM

436 posts, read 334,650 times
You seriously need to be in Cornelius. Much better for everything.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:31 PM

191 posts, read 317,185 times
Davidson does have some awesome non neighborhoods. There is a great one on Rocky River road that I showed to a client today. It does take a little more searching, also note that neighborhoods like River Run have been built over time, and there is a wide variety of homes. There are also some great neighborhoods just over the Iredell County line, which is a huge savings for tax purposes. I agree with the poster above that Rocky River, Shearer Rd, and then some of the streets in the walking district have the most individual personality. Good luck, let me know if you have any specific questions about a particular street or home.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
The best part about Davidson is the LACK of subdivisions. There is davidson and then there is DAVIDSON and what you sound like you were looking in is the outskirts ("davidson") If you don't want to live in a subdivision why were you driving through subdivisions?

I would look closer to Main Street where the homes are more custom. Shearer road has some for sale too that are not cookie cutter. East Rocky River too. Davidson-Concrod Rd etc aka STAY OUT OF THE SUBDIVISIONS!

These outskirt areas that you are talking about are not the real DAVIDSON. I live on a perfectly lovely cul de sac of custom built homes right on the town edge (literally). What drew us to the area is the lack of subdivisions, no HOAs (yet interestingly the homes are kept up without big brother telling you to do so)

I think you need to find a Realtor who knows the area.
No offense and I don't mind subdivisions, but like subdivisions, cul-de-sacs are commonly associated with that evil sprawl term.

I agree with you though for OP, if you don't want a subdivision, don't look in subdivisions lol. And Davidson is one of the few areas other than some of the Charlotte neighborhoods with walkable, non subdivision areas. Not sure what they cost now but I'd think $700k should be able to get someone in there.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
No offense and I don't mind subdivisions, but like subdivisions, cul-de-sacs are commonly associated with that evil sprawl term.

I agree with you though for OP, if you don't want a subdivision, don't look in subdivisions lol. And Davidson is one of the few areas other than some of the Charlotte neighborhoods with walkable, non subdivision areas. Not sure what they cost now but I'd think $700k should be able to get someone in there.
I would agree but our little area is definitely NOT sprawl. $500,000 is really about the bottom of the market here unless you are lucky. We paid $400K for our 2600 sq ft home and it was a steal. Our biggest problem was their were no good comps for the appraisal in the area. Right place at the right time.

I love living in Davidson - I dont think I could find a better area AND NO HOA!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM

64 posts, read 71,309 times
Davidson is a great place to live. We have lived in Davidson for 11 years now and like the small town feel. Lots to do like Christmas in Davidson (Dec.3, 4, 5). Concerts in the park over the summer. Davidson College always has something to offer as well. As with others have said, you will find a great non subdivision if you spend the time and drive around.

Best of Luck.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM

367 posts, read 557,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I agree with you though for OP, if you don't want a subdivision, don't look in subdivisions lol.
I hear ya, but the inventory is very low for homes not in subdivisions.

I just really worry about being up there during the 77 construction. I work from home, so I don't have a commute. But one of the perks of where we live now is that we're close to everything.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
I hear ya, but the inventory is very low for homes not in subdivisions.

I just really worry about being up there during the 77 construction. I work from home, so I don't have a commute. But one of the perks of where we live now is that we're close to everything.
The reason inventory is low is because those are the best neighborhoods - it is where people want to live. You have to be ready to move on a house when it becomes available.

With construction going on I assume your wife's commute will then get worse. Honestly, it sounds like you don't want to move. Davidson is a great place, but not just not a great place for everyone :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte