Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 AM

11 posts, read 22,522 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is possibly transferring us to Charlotte (I am from Charlotte originally, but we have been in Georgia for nearly 9 years). We are thinking of moving to Mooresville this time (previously lived in the University area) mainly because the schools seem better farther north. We have 3 kids- 8th, 4th and 1st grade. He will be working in the University area. My questions: taking into account traffic, how long is he looking at in the car to commute from Mooresville to the University area? Opinion of Mooresville High vs. Lake Norman High? MGSD vs. ISSD? Are there other high schools that I just don't know about? Suggestions of neighborhoods with at least a pool $400k and below? I'd love to find a neighborhood with a swim team! Some we've seen online: Cherry Grove, Morrison Cove, Morrison Plantation, Waterside Landing. Just any info you can give would be helpful!

Last edited by cmb1976; 12-16-2015 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:29 AM

64 posts, read 95,443 times
His commute time will be based on when he drives to and from his new job. If he leaves early(6:30am) it will take about 45 min. to get to university. If he leaves at 7:30, I would say 1 hour at a minimum. Driving home, he will be stuck in traffic from 4pm to 7pm. These times are based on him driving down 77 to Harris blvd.(exit 18)

Depending upon where he will be working in the University area, he may be able to avoid I 77 completely. He can take Rt.3 south to rt.73 and then jump on I 85. This will be longer to drive but you will not hit the bumper to bumper traffic on 77.

Can't help with the schools.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM

Thank you! Yes it does help. He will be at exit 18. Times are pretty much what we expected, but still not as bad as it is here in ATL!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Just as an FYI. They have begun construction on toll lanes from Exit 23 (Gilead Road) to Exit 28 Cornelius (Mooresville exits are 34-36). If they go through with the toll lane project there might be some $$ impact to his commute.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info on the toll lanes. That is good to know!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:38 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
If your not set on Mooresville, you may want to look into Concord (Cabarrus County). We live in the western part so we are almost right on the border of Meck. We have some great schools. Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS. You could look into Highland Creek (Cabarrus Side), Skybrook (Cabarrus side), Winding Walk and there are other neighborhoods around but they go to Odell ES which is still a good school. There is a neighborhood nearby (Winchester) that has a swim team and I also know that Moss Creek was trying to start their own swim team.

The commute wouldn't be bad at all to University especially since 485 has opened up.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 AM

I definitely think we are going to spend some time looking around Cabarrus County. We lived close to Highland Creek and Skybrook before but that was a long time ago so I'm glad to hear the schools are good. The more I'm hearing and reading about Mooresville, I'm thinking we may be better off in Cabarrus County after taking into account the time and money tied up in commuting. My husband was wondering about 485 too- so thanks for that info!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb1976 View Post
I definitely think we are going to spend some time looking around Cabarrus County. We lived close to Highland Creek and Skybrook before but that was a long time ago so I'm glad to hear the schools are good. The more I'm hearing and reading about Mooresville, I'm thinking we may be better off in Cabarrus County after taking into account the time and money tied up in commuting. My husband was wondering about 485 too- so thanks for that info!
Cabarrus County probably makes more sense for the commute. We have a poster who lives in Mooresville but she doesn't come on much anymore. She's not the only poster in Mooresville but she lives in the city limits & has mentioned taking a back road to I 85. I don't live in that area so take that for what it is.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM

Someone else mentioned there are alternatives to the interstates, but even those can get backed up at peak times. I think even on a good day, he would be spending a lot of time on the road. Looks like housing prices may be a little lower in Cabarrus County as well, so that is a plus!

Last edited by cmb1976; 12-16-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:07 PM

95 posts, read 280,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb1976 View Post
Someone else mentioned there are alternatives to the interstates, but even those can get backed up at peak times. I think even on a good day, he would be spending a lot of time on the road. Looks like housing prices may be a little lower in Cabarrus County as well, so that is a plus!
Is your husband transferring or relocating for a new job? I ask because my husband has been trying to apply for jobs and it's just not happening. We're in Florida and wonder if by not living in CLT is a negative when he applies. If he did get a new job, how did he do it where they decided to relocate him? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte