U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 4,961 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to chime in. I'm your age but haven't been single for around 7 years. There are plenty of ppl our age who are single, both neighbors on either side of me (up at lake norman) are single, one a bachelor, the other a bachelorette). I used to rent very cheaply in the Cotswold area, a very safe neighborhood (something that was important to me being a single female) and just a handful of miles from uptown. SouthEnd is where I'd live now if I were in your position (it's got light rail going straight uptown). If you visit uptown, it's definitely an adult atmosphere even during the day and you won't have trouble meeting a variety of friend-material people. I don't take the kids there a ton because it's not as kid-friendly as suburbia. In terms of married v single social life, you won't have a problem either way. With kids or without, ppl tend to find others that are like themselves in schedule and availability, so you just have to get yourself out there and have fun and you'll meet people who like to do the same. As far as IT opportunity, unless someone here is in that industry and has recently job-hunted, perhaps your best bet is just to poke around Indeed and see what pops up. My husband was job hunting recently and it seemed like every other opportunity that popped up was IT industry, not what we were looking for, but plentiful. There is a lot of active opportunity, lots of community meet ups for road runners, trail runners, road bikers, mountain bikers, hikers, triathletes, ultra runners etc. who meet both in the Charlotte greenways and up in the mountains. My Canadian hubby likes the active life here, a contrast to where he grew up, and something we both enjoy. I know it can be a financial strain to travel, but no one will see a place through your eyes like you will, so if you can swing it at all, come to the area for a weekend and see what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 04:03 PM

819 posts, read 638,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Sorry to hear the prospects for the software market are so dismal in North Carolina. I'm assuming, pardon my ignorance, that the Piedmont is the entire NC and surrounding region? It is strange, but I keep hearing over and over again how thriving and growing Raleigh/Durham and RTP software industry is becoming and becoming like a Silicon Valley in its own right, with a much lower price tag, yet not substantially lower wages. Strange!

To be honest, I loathe having to work a corporate job and would love to start my own business or do freelancing. I'd love to learn more about how you do freelancing. I'd be willing to take a paycut and rough it if I could run my own business or survive by freelancing and telecommuting. Honestly, I always wanted to live in the mountains, like in Montana or the North Cascades of Washington, etc, away from the drama of the city, traffic, crime , pollution, etc. However, I know I need to feed myself and seeing that I have not been on the market in 15 years, I do not know what to expect.

I will be building up my skill set. Although, I do not have Google on my resume, I have a huge portfolio of fairly sophisticated applications and will try to make myself a jack of all trades with a good amount of experience to back it up. It seems many of these jobs these days want you to boast of a huge amount of various technologies and have a lot of industry experience. I know from reading these job requirements the demands they have are expansive and cannot imagine many humans can keep up with the so-called criteria. Especially, considering the demands of an IT project coupled with the ever evolving technologies that come and go.

For now, I am just thinking of survival. I want to live as cheap as possible and improve my skill set, but I would like to live somewhere there is enough jobs if I need to supplement my income while I pursue my goals of running my own business and not being locked up as a corporate drone.

Southbound, I will have to investigate Gastonia area more. I'm fairly ignorant to the geography of the Charlotte region so I know I have a lot of investigation to do. It sounds promising. Of course, survival is my main goal now, but I do feel the Charlotte area has a lot to offer. Being 2 hours from the Smokey mountains will be nice for me to unload during the weekends after a week of being stuck in the city. Even in Seattle, realistically you can be driving 2 hours to any serious beautiful mountain hiking, with the traffic, congestion, etc.. The trails right near the city are always too crowded to be enjoyable. Of course, Seattle area does host some pretty dang amazing mountain scenery. Too bad the city itself has become so expensive, pretentious, sterile and a traffic ridden hell.

You probably heard that because RedHat has been there a while and it's embedded in various other common role employers in the area. I consider "piedmont" to be Asheville to Burlington. Burlingston to Greenville is mountain region and I haven't seen any trend or statistic that suggest it's in some development bubble.

The outskirts of Charlotte like Maiden I think even have more IT infrastructure change in the last 10 years with Google and Apple and the common stuff in the new buildings(Lake Norman region is being mentioned everywhere).

You're not the only one migrating. I do business with a few people who work for Microsoft in engineering and research and even they are cautious about jumping around.. One has an impressive resume with IBM too..

Old 01-13-2016, 07:11 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,780,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
You probably heard that because RedHat has been there a while and it's embedded in various other common role employers in the area. I consider "piedmont" to be Asheville to Burlington. Burlingston to Greenville is mountain region and I haven't seen any trend or statistic that suggest it's in some development bubble.

The outskirts of Charlotte like Maiden I think even have more IT infrastructure change in the last 10 years with Google and Apple and the common stuff in the new buildings(Lake Norman region is being mentioned everywhere).

You're not the only one migrating. I do business with a few people who work for Microsoft in engineering and research and even they are cautious about jumping around.. One has an impressive resume with IBM too..
Do what? You have an interesting notion of NC geography.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:07 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
To be honest, I loathe having to work a corporate job and would love to start my own business or do freelancing.

Wouldn't everyone? I loathe having to work a corporate job too but it pays for my butler and hand maiden.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,107 times
I'm Messianic Jewish and am leaving west Virginia bc if no Messianic Congregations.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,780,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMessianicJew View Post
I'm Messianic Jewish and am leaving west Virginia bc if no Messianic Congregations.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-07-2016, 07:07 PM

819 posts, read 638,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Do what? You have an interesting notion of NC geography.
North Carolina Climate & Georgraphy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte