U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:32 PM

670 posts, read 1,066,219 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am reconsidering a relo from Tampa, FL to Charlotte AGAIN. Charlotte has been on my heart for over 10 years and now that I have a job that is remote, I can make it happen. I would love to hear from any Floridians who have relocated and hear what they miss, if anything about FL. Most importantly, I know that there are tons of RELO threads and info on here but I am interested in some current updates from anyone who moved to Charlotte that can share info that they wish they had known before moving to Charlotte. Did anything catch you off guard or could have potentially swayed your decision had you known?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind Regards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 05:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,789,201 times
These might help:

People who moved from South Florida to CLT, thoughts?
Thinking about transferring to Charlotte from Tampa area
Moving from Tampa Bay area to Fort Mill, SC

Old 12-29-2015, 06:04 AM

436 posts, read 335,257 times
I lived in Clearwater. What I don't miss is the annoying highway 19 and everything being on it and traffic. What I miss is being 20 minutes to my boat launch on the gulf. Overall, I am happy being between the beach and mountains. I like the change of weather too. I like both places though. If either were bad, there wouldn't be so many northeastern moving down.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Thanks Carolinadawg I read through the links. Thanks Richard Rawaon! I bet you're very happy to be away from US 19. I really want seasons back lol. I moved here from VA so looking for information on NC and feedback from ANYONE who has moved to Charlotte on something they learned about NC once moving. For instance, I was just reading that NC has a 'seat time' requirement for students. I have 3 kids in which 2 will be in middle school next year and attend a Performing Arts school and one high schooler. I had never run across that info before which is what prompted me to start this post to see what info is out there that may not be easily found in research. I also found out about a pet tax so just trying to gather as much info as possible. The good thing is home costs, car insurance and food seem to be cheaper in NC than FL. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM

436 posts, read 335,257 times
Nalexand, Check with the Charlotte Chamber about performing arts schools. They are available. I too missed the distinct seasons. I do not miss the flood insurance and hurricanes in Florida either. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM

54 posts, read 46,593 times
I think CMS is a better source of information on performing arts schools than the Chamber:

Visual & Performing Arts

Old 01-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Thanks guys! Any other hidden fees for living in NC like the pet fee that one may not be aware of?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:10 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,789,201 times
I wouldn't worry about the "pet tax", it sounds unenforceable, and I never paid it when I lived in Charlotte. Some taxes and fees people seem surprised about when moving to NC include a 2% tax on food at the grocery store, and full sales tax on clothing. Also, when you title your car brought in from another state, there is a 3% Highway Use Tax charged, although in that situation its capped at $250, I think. Cars, boats, rv's, etc. are subject to local property taxes as well.

Also, NC requires an annual vehicle safety and emissions inspection for most cars that costs $43.60.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 01-03-2016 at 05:24 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,384,737 times
I moved here from Tampa in 1996 so it's been a while :-) Until Publix moved here, I had no access to Cuban sandwiches which crushed my world. :-)

I've never paid the pet tax, not a fan of the personal property taxes on cars etc. The choices in restaurants and entertainment has improved dramatically since I arrived. Love Charlotte and will only visit Tampa now. I do miss Kojaks on Gandy though ;-)

Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,205,239 times
I moved here from the DC area and I've never paid nor heard of the pet tax. We have had two dogs since living down here. Also, what is the "seat time" for students? I have two ES kids and never heard of it.

We got caught several times trying to buy wine or beer on Sunday's before noon especially during football season. We didn't know about it until the 1st time we tried it and just couldn't get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or