U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM

276 posts, read 417,351 times

Advertisements

Are there any people interested in modernist housing? I am looking at the prefabs, but they are quite expensive (custom is so expensive it is out of the question, of course).

There is a modernist builder named Weiler in NC - they make Rapson Greenbelts. They even construct entire communities. Greenbelts are small and a bit too featureless for my taste, but even then, it would be difficult (read impossible) for me to afford... about 300K turnkey.

My fantasy is that a few people got together, bought some land and then tried to get a price break on modest prefab, maybe Weehouse or something....

Any interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,040,859 times
Wife and I are drawn to this idea on many levels, but not to the extent of moving further out of town.

Last edited by mullman; 02-06-2008 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,157,579 times
I think I would be unclear as to what you would define as modernist. Can you post a link to the type of house you are referring to?

Dawn

Old 02-06-2008, 03:00 PM

616 posts, read 1,566,700 times
There may be a link or two of intereste here, from a previous thread:

There are lots of mid-century modern homes in Charlotte, like this one:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/rfs/511828586.html (broken link)

Haven't seen homes like these, JETSONGREEN.COM, on JETSON GREEN - green building : modern design : sustainable development

Maybe this :: CleverHomes :: is more like it?

Wieler, located in the Chapel Hill area, WIELER / Live In A Work Of Art may be of interest, although I haven't seem these in Charlotte either.

Or modern modular? I like the rocioromero LV Series - Rocio Romero, modern design and prefab architecture (http://www.rocioromero.com/LVSeries/LVL.htm - broken link)

While we're at it, how about the Slow Home approach? Check it out - Slow Home Principles (http://www.theslowhome.com/blog/slowhomeprinciples/ - broken link)

Will ask my husband for more links, he's doing that kind of research.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,157,579 times
Hmmmm.....I like the concept. I would be interested in doing it on my own property. I know my husband wouldn't be interested in sharing land, but he does like the idea of going more green and not having so many toxins in our home.

Dawn

Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM

Is there any part of the greater metro Charlotte area where people are living in the 21st century (or at least the late 20th century)? Maybe some small, hidden enclave few people know about?

I am looking for (for the past 3.5 years), a small, eco-friendly, affordable (100K) modernist house on a wooded lot.

An HOA would be OK, but only if the residents were modernists and loved their houses.

An old MCM would be OK, but only if it hasn't been scooped up by a RE agent and re-package with a 700k price tag.

An A-Frame would be great (I consider A-Frames to be modernist).

Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
Is there any part of the greater metro Charlotte area where people are living in the 21st century (or at least the late 20th century)? Maybe some small, hidden enclave few people know about?

I am looking for (for the past 3.5 years), a small, eco-friendly, affordable (100K) modernist house on a wooded lot.

An HOA would be OK, but only if the residents were modernists and loved their houses.

An old MCM would be OK, but only if it hasn't been scooped up by a RE agent and re-package with a 700k price tag.

An A-Frame would be great (I consider A-Frames to be modernist).
I thought you posted on here before and someone showed you this link...

ModernCharlotte.com - Mid Century Modern

...but perhaps not.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:11 AM

I am well aware of this site. I can't afford 700K houses.... especially ones that were selling for 40K six years ago.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
Are there any people interested in modernist housing?...My fantasy...
I could have sworn you discussed this topic on another thread. And it was suggested that if you didnít want to pay what it costs for one of these homes, because they would be expensive, then you should look at some of the modernist type townhome communities going up, like Duo or Celedon. I could be wrong, but if that wasnít discussed before, then that is certainly my suggestion to you now.

Charlotte, NC,real estate, homes, condos, and townhouses, Center City Realty

Duo, Townhomes, Charlotte, NC - MyTownhome.com

My Townhome - Available Listings - Thumbnail Results

Celadon - Charlotte, NC

Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM

I shared a common wall with other for 25 years of my adult life. If people were considered of others, I still would be. Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte