U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,515 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are relocating from Boston to Charlotte in only about 1-2 months. My sister has lived there for a few years now and loves it, and we desperately need to get away from the long commutes, heavy and freezing winters, pissed off people and high cost of living here. She has lived mostly north of Charlotte (Huntersville, Cornelius, Concord, etc) and so I have visited her a few times there and like those neighborhoods, but also want to be close enough to downtown as well for restaurants, museums, plays, shopping, etc.

We are 26 and 38, so we would love to be near other young couples (as opposed to college students, or older families). We are not big into nightlife (our clubbing days are over), but like "culture" related events (Food, music, performances, museums, etc) which is why I don't think we would want to be right in downtown. My boyfriend does work in the music industry though so being somewhat near music venues (driving distance) is important. Being near a lake would definitely be a big plus since we like to kayak, fish and paddle board. And we can't feel like we live in the middle of nowhere either--even in the burbs there would need to be some shops and grocery stores, etc to make us feel comfortable there. We don't have kids and don't plan on having any at any time soon so school systems are not a concern, but a nice and safe neighborhood is. I would like to be able to take our dogs for a walk at night alone and not feel afraid. We are looking to find a nice home, relax, and enjoy our lives a bit more than the hectic chaos we are experiencing running back and forth to work only and having no free time now. We want to stop struggling to stay afloat and get comfortable somewhere with better whether.

We would love to only spend $1200 but could do up to $1400 or so for the right place. Since we do have two dogs, and one is a great dane, we are looking for a single family with a fenced yard to rent rather than a condo.

Right now we are sort of just looking between downtown and Cornelius so we are somewhere between downtown and Lake Norman, but we would love some advice on specific neighborhoods to check out, or avoid. Or if there are some other regions west, east, or south we should consider, that would be great to hear as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,778,931 times
Some closer to Uptown neighborhoods to look at include NODA, Chantilly, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth and South End.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 01-05-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM

191 posts, read 317,279 times
Welcome...Cornelius sounds like a great fit due to it's proximity to the lake and downtown. There are more condos for rent within this price range than single family homes; however they do come up and move pretty quick. Herritage Green may work for you also there are some single family homes in the community Alexander Chase. You may have some difficulty with two pets, especially large breed dogs. Many will have a weight limit. Best of luck in your search! Feel free to contact me with more specific questions.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:43 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie327 View Post
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are relocating from Boston to Charlotte in only about 1-2 months. My sister has lived there for a few years now and loves it, and we desperately need to get away from the long commutes, heavy and freezing winters, pissed off people and high cost of living here. She has lived mostly north of Charlotte (Huntersville, Cornelius, Concord, etc) and so I have visited her a few times there and like those neighborhoods, but also want to be close enough to downtown as well for restaurants, museums, plays, shopping, etc.

We are 26 and 38, so we would love to be near other young couples (as opposed to college students, or older families). We are not big into nightlife (our clubbing days are over), but like "culture" related events (Food, music, performances, museums, etc) which is why I don't think we would want to be right in downtown. My boyfriend does work in the music industry though so being somewhat near music venues (driving distance) is important. Being near a lake would definitely be a big plus since we like to kayak, fish and paddle board. And we can't feel like we live in the middle of nowhere either--even in the burbs there would need to be some shops and grocery stores, etc to make us feel comfortable there. We don't have kids and don't plan on having any at any time soon so school systems are not a concern, but a nice and safe neighborhood is. I would like to be able to take our dogs for a walk at night alone and not feel afraid. We are looking to find a nice home, relax, and enjoy our lives a bit more than the hectic chaos we are experiencing running back and forth to work only and having no free time now. We want to stop struggling to stay afloat and get comfortable somewhere with better whether.

We would love to only spend $1200 but could do up to $1400 or so for the right place. Since we do have two dogs, and one is a great dane, we are looking for a single family with a fenced yard to rent rather than a condo.

Right now we are sort of just looking between downtown and Cornelius so we are somewhere between downtown and Lake Norman, but we would love some advice on specific neighborhoods to check out, or avoid. Or if there are some other regions west, east, or south we should consider, that would be great to hear as well.

Thanks!
Does your boyfriend play in bands or work the sound equipment &/or lights?

You should look for rentals in Belmont, west of Charlotte.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:07 PM

8 posts, read 9,383 times
Welcome!

Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 AM

314 posts, read 582,875 times
We relocated from the Boston area almost 10 years ago and love it here. You won't regret it!
It may be a challenge to find a single family home with a fence though. I did a quick mls search and only saw one property in the area you are looking in.
Best of luck and feel free to contact me if you have questions!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM

496 posts, read 1,545,229 times
Welcome! I just relocated to Charlotte on Tuesday from the North Shore area (Hamilton, MA) and I am already loving it here! I live in the Steele Creeke area and I pretty much don't need to leave my apartment for anything because of the great location. I hope the transition goes smoothly for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or