U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:40 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,993,242 times

Advertisements

I hate all the trash too!

That's why I have adopted a stream section near town and I pick up trash on the major road near my home usually several times a month. "My" section of Wendover road stays noticeably cleaner with an hour of work two or three times a month! Be the change you want to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,747,020 times
Unfortunately, this has become the sad reality for life outside of I-277. Not only does the city does have a litter problem, it has a litter "clean-up" problem. I have personally sent photos, and maps to certain CDoT officials expressing my concern. And to be honest, if you take a proactive initiative you will get results. The problem is that the CDoT is not proactive and rely soley on 311 calls, or emails, which helps, but still kinda sad. I travel down Fairview Rd each day to work. The same trash has been lining the buffer wall against million dollar homes since Halloween. Part of the disconnect comes with city-maintained roads vs state-maintained roads. For example, Woodlawn, Providence, and a handful of other MAJOR thoroughfares are state-maintained. Therein lies one of the problems. An entirely different protocol is in place to keep these roads maintained. I've been told that by 311 and other officials. Many newcomers from larger, dirtier cities may not see the problem as evident in some of the responses. I travel quite a bit, to cities larger, smaller and comparable to Charlotte's size, and notice how clean and maintained their main thoroughfares are even in the outlying areas. As of now, there is no plan, no strategy to keep our roads clean of debris and basic litter. I try to be proactive and do what I can but I am only 1 person. Maybe a grass roots campaign can be formed from the likes of the OP and other posters here to get this city cleaned up. And don't get me started on the storm drains. Many have been clogged with debris for over 2 years on Providence & Fairview. Call after call doesn't help on this one. There is something about that particular intersection where NCDoT or CDoT won't touch it.

Last edited by swampfoxer; 01-12-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,385,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I hate all the trash too!

That's why I have adopted a stream section near town and I pick up trash on the major road near my home usually several times a month. "My" section of Wendover road stays noticeably cleaner with an hour of work two or three times a month! Be the change you want to see!

Greatest post of all time!

You guys describe the trash as if it's a city/management problem. Cities don't pollute, people do! If everyone griping on this board would re-purpose half of the time spent picking up trash vs. categorizing complaints they would solve the problem. They would probably feel better about themselves and inspire others too!

I'm going to go pick up some trash.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

You guys describe the trash as if it's a city/management problem. Cities don't pollute, people do! If everyone griping on this board would re-purpose half of the time spent picking up trash vs. categorizing complaints they would solve the problem. They would probably feel better about themselves and inspire others too!

I agree to a degree. Yes, we should all play a role in keeping Charlotte clean by not littering or picking up litter when you safely can.

But you are wrong in that this is a city/management problem. Just like trimming trees away from power lines, salting roads when it snows, the city is responsible for keeping debris out of storm drains and picking up litter. As much as I would like to get out and put up orange traffic cones so I can clean mounds of litter from busy intersections, it's for one, not safe, and some things are better left for the city since they have the right equipment to handle these jobs. The problem in Charlotte, is the hiring freeze from the CDoT. Whether its keeping the miles of litter out of the brush along the greenway, or roadways in Ballantyne litter free, we are at a standstill. Like one poster said. We need another DNC. Amazing how every inch of the interstates and surface streets got manicured in record time.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 PM

102 posts, read 82,553 times
Charlotte's uptown and some of the old neighborhoods are very clean compared to other cities I've been to. I think the issues lies with large stretches of uninhabited roads and areas with heavy construction. When I began attending UNCC back in 2013 there was almost never trash along North Tryon, even in the "worse" areas. Now that the light rail construction has been underway I think a lot of the thousands of construction workers leave their lunch garbage lying around. I think the city will find it imperative to keep the corridor clean, especially since it will be Charlotte's premier transit line.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
Charlotte's uptown and some of the old neighborhoods are very clean compared to other cities I've been to. I think the issues lies with large stretches of uninhabited roads and areas with heavy construction. When I began attending UNCC back in 2013 there was almost never trash along North Tryon, even in the "worse" areas. Now that the light rail construction has been underway I think a lot of the thousands of construction workers leave their lunch garbage lying around. I think the city will find it imperative to keep the corridor clean, especially since it will be Charlotte's premier transit line.
Yes, much of the areas of concern are along thoroughfares that are not fronted by private property and in construction zones. Typically, owners of such land keep their frontage maintained. Here are a few examples where litter build-up is a problem. Believe me, there are hundreds, but these are some I see daily. Hmmm....where to begin. OK, how about Runnymede Lane/E Woodlawn Rd between Michael Baker Dr and Brandywine (near Park Rd Shopping Center). That stretch is state maintained. Or should I say state "un-maintained". Which is problem number 1. A seemingly different protocol for state vs city maintained roads. Only a few houses front that stretch. Litter and other debris builds up constantly. The last time it was cleaned was, well, just weeks before the DNC. Right now, the curbs are so full debris from the trees, water cannot flow anywhere except into the street. If you know that stretch, then you know it has several sharp turns. It can be dangerous for drivers, especially during heavy rains. But it is not on any type of "priority list" for the city to manage. If you call 311, you will get response.

How about S Blvd between Arrowood Rd and Sharon Lakes Dr and onto Westinghouse Rd. The southbound side next to the light rail is a corridor of shame. It's depressing to drive that stretch and see all the trash and debris in the brush areas that are city owned. Yes, the same junk visitors see while riding our fancy light rail. I've often imagined how nice that stretch would look with a wide sidewalk and nice landscaping. It would probably even help nearby property values.

I was instrumental in helping former mayor Pat in choosing ICA (Infrastructure Corporations of America) back in 2007 when the litter was so bad along our interstates 77, 85, 277 & 485, he was getting constant letters from not only Charlotte citizens, but prospective companies wanting to re-locate to this area. Yes, it was so bad and such an embarrassment that he was forced to do something. ICA was hired to clean up our interstates and on-off ramps where many people like to ditch their trash. Those roads looked pretty darn good for a number of years. I do not believe (not sure) if we still use them. I would say not by the looks of things during some recent interstate travel.

It's really kinda sad when you think about it. Charlotte likes to build new and fancy things, but they have no budget to maintain them. The greenways for example. I was walking the section of greenway with an out of town guest a couple years ago in midtown. I mentioned the creek and he said "there's a creek there?" The brush had gotten so out of control, the beautiful waterway could not be seen. It was so pretty in it's first few years, but looks terrible now. Also, I remember when they did a major makeover of the Tyvola/I-77 interchange. They planted new trees, new grass and it looked very nice.....for about 6 months. It slowly went downhill and has regained it's status as one of the ugliest interchanges in the area. There is no budget to maintain such things. Even former mayor Pat made reference to that once. Many cities have a system in place to manage such things. Unfortunately, Charlotte does not and now it's beginning to get noticed. But not inside the confines of sparkle city, uptown. They can keep that looking nice for visitors. But that's where it ends.

Last edited by swampfoxer; 01-12-2016 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Unfortunately, this has become the sad reality for life outside of I-277. Not only does the city does have a litter problem, it has a litter "clean-up" problem. I have personally sent photos, and maps to certain CDoT officials expressing my concern. And to be honest, if you take a proactive initiative you will get results. The problem is that the CDoT is not proactive and rely soley on 311 calls, or emails, which helps, but still kinda sad. I travel down Fairview Rd each day to work. The same trash has been lining the buffer wall against million dollar homes since Halloween. Part of the disconnect comes with city-maintained roads vs state-maintained roads. For example, Woodlawn, Providence, and a handful of other MAJOR thoroughfares are state-maintained. Therein lies one of the problems. An entirely different protocol is in place to keep these roads maintained. I've been told that by 311 and other officials. Many newcomers from larger, dirtier cities may not see the problem as evident in some of the responses. I travel quite a bit, to cities larger, smaller and comparable to Charlotte's size, and notice how clean and maintained their main thoroughfares are even in the outlying areas. As of now, there is no plan, no strategy to keep our roads clean of debris and basic litter. I try to be proactive and do what I can but I am only 1 person. Maybe a grass roots campaign can be formed from the likes of the OP and other posters here to get this city cleaned up. And don't get me started on the storm drains. Many have been clogged with debris for over 2 years on Providence & Fairview. Call after call doesn't help on this one. There is something about that particular intersection where NCDoT or CDoT won't touch it.
...now you're thinking. I admire your persistence but assume the photos and emails you've sent aren't very high on their priority list. During the recession the city was asked to provide the same services with less funding, then less services with less funding.

If Fairview/Woodlawn/Providence roads are particularly troublesome, I recommend going forward with your grassroots campaign - there are many, many other community members that feel the same way, and if you would organize them I would guarantee you could make a HUGE difference, if only cleaning 1 time per month. Each of those roads has large portions of sidewalk that would make the effort fairly easy. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:06 PM

70 posts, read 54,244 times
Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't "gripin". I was just asking since I moved here 2 weeks ago. In fact if you read my post I was asking if there was a way to volunteer

Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters123 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't "gripin". I was just asking since I moved here 2 weeks ago. In fact if you read my post I was asking if there was a way to volunteer

Not intended towards your goodwill gesture Fosters 123. My post was intended to be directed to those with high expectations but no interest in contributing toward a solution or considering the variables that make it difficult for the city to contain. Reread the thread. There are several.

If you read my post, you would see that I did not reply specifically to your comment. I will try to be more specific in the future and am glad you are open-minded to helping.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:22 PM

70 posts, read 54,244 times
Quote:
Not intended towards your goodwill gesture Fosters 123. My post was intended to be directed to those with high expectations but no interest in contributing toward a solution or considering the variables that make it difficult for the city to contain. Reread the thread. There are several.

If you read my post, you would see that I did not reply specifically to your comment. I will try to be more specific in the future and am glad you are open-minded to helping.
No worries, If anyone knows about any groups specific to the South side, Ballantyne area, I would like to get my son and I involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte