U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM

276 posts, read 418,149 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]For 30 years, I somehow managed to endure the mundane chore of going to the supermarket without incident. Now I storm out at least once a month.

It goes something like this:

Cashier: "Hello, Sir. Do you have YOUR Bozo Card?"

Me: "Nope".

Cashier: "You forgot your Bozo Card, or you don't have one?"

Me: "I don't have one."

Cashier: "Would you like to apply for one?"

Me: "Nope."

Cashier: "Are you from out of state? Just visiting?"

Cashier: "How about your phone number?"

Cashier: "WHY don't you want a Bozo Card?"

Me: "I would rather not entrust my personal and private data to the likes of Harrass Teaser".

Cashier glares.

Cashier: "Well, you could have saved $16.57 if you had a Bozo Card. Why don't you take your Receipt over to Customer Service and get a Bozo Card?."

Here's the question:

Do I really have to go through this every time I want to buy a bag of Fritos??

Is there a supermarket (or something like it) somewhere in Charlotte that does not violate harrassment, fraud (fair disclosure, anyone?), price gouging, identity theft, extortion ("give us your personal data or we'll charge you double"), and competitve collusion laws?
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
[SIZE=2]For 30 years, I somehow managed to endure the mundane chore of going to the supermarket without incident. Now I storm out at least once a month.

It goes something like this:

Cashier: "Hello, Sir. Do you have YOUR Bozo Card?"

Me: "Nope".

Cashier: "You forgot your Bozo Card, or you don't have one?"

Me: "I don't have one."

Cashier: "Would you like to apply for one?"

Cashier: "Are you from out of state? Just visiting?"

Cashier: "How about your phone number?"

Cashier: "WHY don't you want a Bozo Card?"

Me: "I would rather not entrust my personal and private data to the likes of Harrass Teaser".

Cashier glares.

Cashier: "Well, you could have saved $16.57 if you had a Bozo Card. Why don't you take your Receipt over to Customer Service and get a Bozo Card?."

Here's the question:

Do I really have to go through this every time I want to buy a bag of Fritos??

Is there a supermarket (or something like it) somewhere in Charlotte that does not violate harrassment, fraud (fair disclosure, anyone?), price gouging, identity theft, extortion ("give us your personal data or we'll charge you double"), and competitve collusion laws?
[/SIZE]
You sound pretty bitter IMO.

I don't understand what the big deal is. Get a card so for all future shopping trips you save $$.

If you still refuse, just go through the self serve checkout lanes and you won't have to deal w/people.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,793,409 times
Earth Fare. And by the way, you can make up all of your own information for that card. Also, law states that the stores has to have their own card for customers to use who do not have one. But anyway, I save a lot of money with that HT card and don't get harassed. There are unadvertised specials which will print on your receipts or sent via email. Kinda ironic you would sign into a public messgae board which logs your ip address and requires and email address to complain about this.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Default Huh????

I am stunned. Why would you not want a card that saves you money? I just posted on another list how much money we saved on Sat. at Harris Teeter.

I typically cut my grocery bill by at least 1/3 using that card. The cashier is only trying to make sure you are aware of the savings the card would afford you.

Where are you from? Did your grocery stores not have customer cards?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,482,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am stunned. Why would you not want a card that saves you money?
For a lot of folks ani its a matter of personal privacy. Having said that I have convenience cards for all of the major supermarket chains down here. I'd say if you don't want to be harassed buying a bag of chips go to Walmart or a gas station.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
For a lot of folks ani its a matter of personal privacy. Having said that I have convenience cards for all of the major supermarket chains down here. I'd say if you don't want to be harassed buying a bag of chips go to Walmart or a gas station.
I am about as paranoid as it gets when it comes to ID Theft/fraud. But studies show that people are more likely to have their identity stolen right out of their mailboxes or garbage cans as through a customer card. Shred, shred, shred!!!!

However, I understand what you are saying, BG. For me, just handing someone a card doesn't make me feel exploited or violated but we are all different.

Like Groove said - the guy can give them fake info if he wants to - he still has card to give him price breaks - and no one has his info!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 AM

14 posts, read 47,898 times
I've had my Bozo card for years and HT never calls me or mails me anything they don't send to everybody on the mail route. All info is available on Google anyway.
AFAIK all the major stores have Bozo programs to try to keep shoppers loyal--you'd have to find a one shot deal to not have that, I think.
But I agree, the cashier went over the top--of course, they are required to ask and re-ask.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,622,254 times
I understand you want your privacy and your buying habits be share on some system but you do not have to give out real information to get a card. ON some I put fake information when I get the card. It funny at my favorite grocery store they say Hi Mrs Cants because the name appears on their register screen and I always give them a confuse look because I forgot about the fake name.

I get annoyed at certain retail stores they are always asking me to save 10 percent or 20 percent by getting approved for their store credit card everytime I shop there.

So my solution to this problem is act like I am talking on my cell phone.
This also works great at car lots.

I respect the cashiers asking me it is a part of their job and are encourage by thier employers due to the company has goals they must meet.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I understand you want your privacy and your buying habits be share on some system but you do not have to give out real information to get a card. ON some I put fake information when I get the card. It funny at my favorite grocery store they say Hi Mrs Cants because the name appears on their register screen and I always give them a confuse look because I forgot about the fake name.

I get annoyed at certain retail stores they are always asking me to save 10 percent or 20 percent by getting approved for their store credit card everytime I shop there.

So my solution to this problem is act like I am talking on my cell phone.
This also works great at car lots.

I respect the cashiers asking me it is a part of their job and are encourage by thier employers due to the company has goals they must meet.
OK. Now I know. Cell phone. HA HA HA - you just solved how I am going to handle some situations in the future. Who knew.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,799,307 times
I have a Vic card at HT they ask me if I have it and if I say no they dont bother me, they have on occassion scanned theirs so I can get the discount..Ive never been harrassed for not having it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte