U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 01:41 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,380,733 times

Advertisements

Yeah yeah yeah, kudos to Aristotle and Felt but we all listen to 610. Armchair analysis is absurd. Palmer is a quarterback who can be rattled but has amnesia. My prediction is that the team that scores the most points and keeps the other team from scoring will win.

It took 10 games for the local radio guys to finally get behind the team. The talk for 5 games was whether we had enough "weapons" at WR. Guess we answered that question. So the next five was about how we were inevitably going to drop a game.

The analysts can't even keep above a 50% successful prediction rate. It's a toss up and most of them just wait for the result and explain what happened as if it was inevitable. One or 2 plays make a HUGE difference in his game and to talk like anything is decided or known is overconfident.

No matter the outcome on Sunday, the Panthers have a ton to be proud of. Only 4 teams in history started 14-0. MVP Quarterback. The first and only quarterback ever to throw for 30 and run for 10. He broke the QB rushing TD record set by Steve Young in 5 years (Steve played 15). Fans set an attendance record this season. 10 pro bowlers. Led the league in takeaways, points per game and total points.

The atmosphere in the Carolinas is great and I hope the Hornets can find similar success over the next few years to re-energize the base. If all you transplants would learn to love your local team, or at least foster your kids love of sports through them, watching the rise would be so much more enjoyable! I can't tell you how great it is to be a fan of a poor team and watch them slowly build toward success. It's similar to watching a favorite local band hit the big time. A bit bittersweet since the bandwagon gets crowded, but so much fun to be there for the entire ride.

With uptown growing, especially among the young affluent, I hope some of those younger transplants can adopt the fandom and join. The energy and faithfulness with the Hornets from 1988-1999 was something electric and a real unifying factor for the city. I would love to see us all do it again - and in one of the fastest growing cities in America with tremendous upside and future.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 9,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Yeah yeah yeah, kudos to Aristotle and Felt but we all listen to 610. Armchair analysis is absurd. Palmer is a quarterback who can be rattled but has amnesia. My prediction is that the team that scores the most points and keeps the other team from scoring will win.

It took 10 games for the local radio guys to finally get behind the team. The talk for 5 games was whether we had enough "weapons" at WR. Guess we answered that question. So the next five was about how we were inevitably going to drop a game.

The analysts can't even keep above a 50% successful prediction rate. It's a toss up and most of them just wait for the result and explain what happened as if it was inevitable. One or 2 plays make a HUGE difference in his game and to talk like anything is decided or known is overconfident.

No matter the outcome on Sunday, the Panthers have a ton to be proud of. Only 4 teams in history started 14-0. MVP Quarterback. The first and only quarterback ever to throw for 30 and run for 10. He broke the QB rushing TD record set by Steve Young in 5 years (Steve played 15). Fans set an attendance record this season. 10 pro bowlers. Led the league in takeaways, points per game and total points.

The atmosphere in the Carolinas is great and I hope the Hornets can find similar success over the next few years to re-energize the base. If all you transplants would learn to love your local team, or at least foster your kids love of sports through them, watching the rise would be so much more enjoyable! I can't tell you how great it is to be a fan of a poor team and watch them slowly build toward success. It's similar to watching a favorite local band hit the big time. A bit bittersweet since the bandwagon gets crowded, but so much fun to be there for the entire ride.

With uptown growing, especially among the young affluent, I hope some of those younger transplants can adopt the fandom and join. The energy and faithfulness with the Hornets from 1988-1999 was something electric and a real unifying factor for the city. I would love to see us all do it again - and in one of the fastest growing cities in America with tremendous upside and future.
Esseq, good post, I agree to support the local team whether you are a transplant or a native....I get everyone is on the bandwagon because they are now 16-1 and in the NFCCG. It's easy to jump on a winners bandwagon. The real test is when they go 5-11, are the same people who are cheerleading now, be cheerleading then?

Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First & 10 View Post
Esseq, good post, I agree to support the local team whether you are a transplant or a native....I get everyone is on the bandwagon because they are now 16-1 and in the NFCCG. It's easy to jump on a winners bandwagon. The real test is when they go 5-11, are the same people who are cheerleading now, be cheerleading then?
Thanks - and I fight off the same protective feelings too sometimes but always conclude that it's pretty petty and lame to be possessive over a sports team. I wouldn't want to say "I was a fan first so you can't root for them now." That's lame. I think they should jump on board. Share the love - the more the merrier.

But don't hit me with some BS about "well your team hasn't been good so that's why I don't root for them"...or "you are going to relocate". Bunch of insecurity shining through with those comments.

And I do think it's sad when kids can't enjoy it. It's just a game - let them have some fun rooting for a winner if your rust belt team sucks this year. Just because your great granddad waived a towel from his favorite chair for 60 years in the snow doesn't mean your kids should be stuck watching them lose because you can't except that you aren't in Philly/NY/Pittbagh/Bahstan/Cleveland/Buffalo or wherever.

Welcome aboard!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM

5,866 posts, read 7,691,252 times
Quote:
People jump off the bandwagon in every city when the team is losing. Well except Pittsburgh I guess, every single one of their fans watches every minute of every game, and everyone that's not from there just doesn't understand what it's like to be a real fan

Old 01-22-2016, 03:01 PM

Haha- I agree that the Pittburgh bias is strong in some minds that have shared. More power to them. I love the pride but think it isn't limited to one area. If they learned about how loyal the Charlotte fan base has been, they may be able to see how their own pride really isn't that special. It isn't just about winning. It's more than that and it isn't something unique to their area. For example:

Charlotte set the NBA attendance record for 11 straight seasons - record sellouts and a tough environment to play in for visitors, but a horrible win/loss record and a pretty poor product on the court as far as talent prior to LJ and Zo.

Great fans are in the Carolinas and Charlotte - just as great as Pittsburgh or Philly. Join our bandwagon if you live here my friends. The time is now. FROM THE MOUNTAINS TO THE OCEAN! FROM THE END ZONE TO THE END ZONE! NOTHING COULD BE FINER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCpOFbPupVo

Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 PM

22 posts, read 9,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
People jump off the bandwagon in every city when the team is losing. Well except Pittsburgh I guess, every single one of their fans watches every minute of every game, and everyone that's not from there just doesn't understand what it's like to be a real fan
Pitts, GB, Dallas, Giants, Bears....there are many fanbases that fully support their teams....win or lose

Old 01-22-2016, 05:36 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

I listen to 610 every day on my way to and from work. Their job is to stir the pot and get people to call in so I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

One thing I will say though is a lot of people who call in had predictions that were real low due to a 7-8-1 record and losing Kelvin Benjamin.

People will jump on thr bandwagon when the Panthers are winning but what about when they have a losing season? This is why bandwagon fans are the worst type of fans IMO. Its like friends who come around when you get money but as soon as you fall on hard times they become ghost.

Regardless, anyone on here for the last 5 years knows I have defended the Panthers, Cam and Rivera in any thread where people were criticizing them.

...and lmao at the team who scores the most points will win. Now that is some great analysis.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Your snark is a little ironic given the obvious.

If you understood we wouldnt have this debate.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:55 PM

5,866 posts, read 7,691,252 times
Quote:
Pitts, GB, Dallas, Giants, Bears....there are many fanbases that fully support their teams....win or lose
Well sticking to the Steelers theme, there's not much data to go off of since they haven't had a losing season since 2003. Taking a quick look at that season, attendance at their last 2 home games that year was about 10,000 less than the capacity, so looks like you're wrong and Pittsburgh fans aren't as great as they think.

Staying on topic, the Panthers have actually had very impressive attendance numbers in their short existence.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:05 PM

And the Hornets set the attendance record - selling out every game - for 11 years - many of which they were awful from a W/L perspective. Still love me some Tripucka and Kenny Gattison highlights though.

Charlotte has great fans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or