U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,419 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering relocating to Charlotte, and at the moment are focused on the Lake Norman area. Admittedly, we don't know a whole lot about it. We spent a little bit of time in Cornelius and in Davidson, and really liked both of them. We looked at some of the neighborhoods near Jetton Park.

Among our bigger questions is what the median age group is like there. We are new parents, and are both 30 years old. We're coming from the DC area, where being a 30 year old parent is generally considered very young, and it's very difficult here to find friends in our relative age bracket with kids. Most people with young kids here are about 37-38, which is fine, but it's also nice to to get to know some people at a similar life stage.

We don't know many people in Charlotte, so we were really hoping to move not only to a family friendly area, but one where perhaps some of the younger parents are moving to. We're not city people, despite the millennial trend, so we really want to live in a newer suburb.

Any feedback would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
We moved down here from the DC area a few years ago. Our kids are now 6 & 8. You would fit right in our neighborhood. We are in Concord but right on the Cabarrus/Meck line almost Huntersville. Our neighborhood is full of families of all ages with kids of all ages. It's a nice mix. We are also close to get to Davidson, Lake Norman within 20-25 minutes. We have great schools as well.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
If you are set on the Lake Norman area, your best bet for "young" parents is probably Huntersville. I think Cornelius and especially Davidson (other than the college students) might skew just a bit older as they are a little more expensive.

But there are really a lot of younger parents all over the Charlotte area IMO.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the insight - what is the difference in average home price from an area like Cornelius to and area like Huntersville? Seem like the neighborhood we looked at in Cornelius ranges from about $350K-$450K. How are the schools in Huntersville?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:42 AM

718 posts, read 723,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If you are set on the Lake Norman area, your best bet for "young" parents is probably Huntersville. I think Cornelius and especially Davidson (other than the college students) might skew just a bit older as they are a little more expensive.

But there are really a lot of younger parents all over the Charlotte area IMO.

Completely agree. Davidson is obviously the college area although beautiful. Cornelius is wonderful but definitely an older demographic. Huntersville is great in every aspect but is getting crowded. That would not prevent me from moving there though. It seems like they are trying to make the necessary improvements to the on/off ram exits at least. My biggest concerns with the Lake Norman Area would simply be the Toll Project and the infrastructure. There are a lot of people trying to get home to that area every day and the roads are backed up all the time. But Huntersville is a wonderful place to live, especially if you could ever live and work there.

I know I dwell on this sometimes, but another place to look at housing if you want to find a lot of other families is
Highland Creek 28269 - Still very close to i77 but close to so many other things as well. we lived in Charlotte for almost 6 years and tried a few places, but ultimately loved Highland Creek. Plus you can choose between living in two different counties for schooling. THey also have school in the neighborhood. We moved to Charlotte from DC as well, you will love it

Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:46 AM

Thanks that is really good to know. I spend about 3 hours a day round trip on my current commute, going from Maryland into Virginia for work, so I'm thinking that as bad as the traffic may be by Charlotte standards, it would still probably be better than what I'm currently dealing with. Is that a poor assumption?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcandsg View Post
Thanks that is really good to know. I spend about 3 hours a day round trip on my current commute, going from Maryland into Virginia for work, so I'm thinking that as bad as the traffic may be by Charlotte standards, it would still probably be better than what I'm currently dealing with. Is that a poor assumption?
No, it's not a poor assumption. There will be traffic. 77 is a parking lot but it will never be as bad as my commute from Sterling down Rte 7 to Bethesda down Georgetown Pike to 495.

485 is open now and that makes the commute to Charlotte or area around Charlotte much better.

If you do go with Huntersville you want to end up at Hough High School. You do not want to end up at North Meck (as it is now) or Hopewell HS (as it is now).

If you check out my area just in Cabarrus County check out the school pyramids for Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill High. Odell ES is also a good ES. They have rezoned Cox Mill ES, Odell ES and Highland Creek ES (which is in Highland Creek on the Meck side of the neighborhood) because those schools and neighborhoods/area are very popular with families moving in from out of state.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks. Does anyone have any thoughts on Mooresville? I realize it's a little further north, but we're really looking into any and all options as long as the schools are good.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcandsg View Post
Thanks. Does anyone have any thoughts on Mooresville? I realize it's a little further north, but we're really looking into any and all options as long as the schools are good.
You should read this if you are interested in Mooresville as it will impact commute to Charlotte.

NCDOT: I-77 Express Lanes

I've read on here the Mooresville Graded District is good for schools.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:15 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
No, it's not a poor assumption. There will be traffic. 77 is a parking lot but it will never be as bad as my commute from Sterling down Rte 7 to Bethesda down Georgetown Pike to 495.

485 is open now and that makes the commute to Charlotte or area around Charlotte much better.

If you do go with Huntersville you want to end up at Hough High School. You do not want to end up at North Meck (as it is now) or Hopewell HS (as it is now).

If you check out my area just in Cabarrus County check out the school pyramids for Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill High. Odell ES is also a good ES. They have rezoned Cox Mill ES, Odell ES and Highland Creek ES (which is in Highland Creek on the Meck side of the neighborhood) because those schools and neighborhoods/area are very popular with families moving in from out of state.
Keeping the HS's in mind doesn't hurt but kind of as you alluded to if OP only has a baby then it will be a long time until they are in HS and the zoning (or quality of certain schools) will likely be different by then. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Hopewell in particular becomes more recommended as that area continues to grow. Yes, Huntersville has a little more variety in schools but of course it has the advantage of being closer to uptown and traffic starts getting exponentially worse once you get north of exit 23.

IMO $350-$450K will get you a very good house in Huntersville (or Mooresville, which is a family-friendly area as well but not sure of the age breakdowns), a decent/good house in Cornelius, and probably a mediocre house in Davidson. There is also "Davidson" in Cabarrus County which is probably about in line with Huntersville pricing although it might be a stretch to call that the Lake Norman area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or