Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:08 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times

Advertisements

If I weren't self-employed, I'd hire me in a flash.

I think that Charlotte is an atypical American city. It has grown very fast, perhaps too fast. It's overrun by bankers and people in related and associated to the banking industry. Real Estate became unaffordable to far too many people because of the growth from the outside.

There aren't many STABLE, established neighborhoods, a phenomenon that prevents those who move to Charlotte gaining a feeling of community. If you have the lucre, there are the country clubs and the private schools, but that's it.

When I moved here 30+ years ago, Central Piedmont was the center of the world, and Charlotte was still pretty friendly. Now look at the city. It isn't the same. Granted, cities change in time, but not as fast as Charlotte has changed. A few of my employees are native Charlotteans, but the majority are transplants. The transplants have been working for me for twenty years, and they still comment about how weird the city is. It's difficult to become acclimated here, and it has probably become more so. I can understand how the OP feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post

I think that Charlotte is an atypical American city. It has grown very fast, perhaps too fast. It's overrun by bankers and people in related and associated to the banking industry. Real Estate became unaffordable to far too many people because of the growth from the outside.

There aren't many STABLE, established neighborhoods, a phenomenon that prevents those who move to Charlotte gaining a feeling of community. If you have the lucre, there are the country clubs and the private schools, but that's it.

When I moved here 30+ years ago, Central Piedmont was the center of the world, and Charlotte was still pretty friendly. Now look at the city. It isn't the same. Granted, cities change in time, but not as fast as Charlotte has changed. A few of my employees are native Charlotteans, but the majority are transplants. The transplants have been working for me for twenty years, and they still comment about how weird the city is. It's difficult to become acclimated here, and it has probably become more so. I can understand how the OP feels.
I understand how the OP feels up to a point. The age discrimination isn't a secret. I've got a couple of plans figured out for freelance. In the mean time, I take what I can get & don't complain. It's not a problem that any reasonably informed person can blame on Charlotte.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

436 posts, read 445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
If you take an honest look at this city there really is no industry besides banks and hospitals, that's it. The rest of the jobs are at box stores etc.

How about these locally headquartered industries for an honest look:

- Carlisle Co.-$4 billion in assets
-Nucor Steel (20K employees)
-Bojangles
-Coca-Cola
-Snyder-Lance crackers, etc.
-Harris Teeter
-8 universities and several institutes
-Lowes
-Family Dollar Stores
- Belk
-NASCAR (motor sports)
-American Airlines
-Sports (football, basketball, hockey, soccer, and more)

This city is what it is, very mediocre. Unfortunately when you moved here, like many others you couldn't see it at the time. Maybe mediocre is what newcomers come here for? Most people that move here are extremely glad they did so.

Additionally, the salaries here are a bit higher than most cities of comparable size. You really need to update your information. The area offers nice weather and a low crime rate, but with that comes low pay and few good jobs. .

You may not have checked the national salaries in a long, long time. Charlotte salaries are a bit higher than those of many comparably sized cities around the country.

Last edited by richard rawaon; 01-28-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM

436 posts, read 445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post

When I was young, Westchester, Westerly Hills, Hidden Valley, Inderly Park, Ashley Park, and many, many other places were great, established neighborhoods with their own school. But, the old neighborhoods are still there but are mostly dangerous, un-walkable, places. I miss the old middle class neighborhoods and the sense of community. Our parents belonged to booster clubs, Optimist Clubs, etc. The pride was there. And, the schools were really good. Even though I failed most subjects in high school ((I was a clown), I did very well in out of state colleges. Obviously I listened and just didn't do any work. But, despite all, Charlotte was never a small town thinking place and there was always lots to do. Today, I would only live in South Charlotte or the lake area. I hope these places can keep their proud identity.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
When I was young, Westchester, Westerly Hills, Hidden Valley, Inderly Park, Ashley Park, and many, many other places were great, established neighborhoods with their own school. But, the old neighborhoods are still there but are mostly dangerous, un-walkable, places. I miss the old middle class neighborhoods and the sense of community. Our parents belonged to booster clubs, Optimist Clubs, etc. The pride was there. And, the schools were really good. Even though I failed most subjects in high school ((I was a clown), I did very well in out of state colleges. Obviously I listened and just didn't do any work. But, despite all, Charlotte was never a small town thinking place and there was always lots to do. Today, I would only live in South Charlotte or the lake area. I hope these places can keep their proud identity.
No Southend, Plaza-Midwood, Myers Park, Dilwork, etc??? Sounds like you dun got to big fa ya britches. Just because the demographics have changed doesn't mean that all since of neighborhood and pride is gone. It's different now, so are DC and New York City. Growth comes with pros and cons. The city could have installed stricter development codes/guidelines 20+ years ago to direct and steer better architecture and urbanity.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 PM

162 posts, read 240,103 times
Quote:
You may not have checked the national salaries in a long, long time. Charlotte salaries are a bit higher than those of many comparably sized cities around the country.
The Carlisle Group has 1, that's right, 1 JOB OPENING IN CHARLOTTE.
NUCOR has NO JOBS IN CHARLOTTE.
Bojangles, Coca Cola, Snyders, Harris Teeter? Do I start laughing now?
Lowes, Family Dollar and Belk? Is that the best you have?
American Airlines?
Football, basketball and Hockey? Are you a QB, Point Guard or Goalie?
The only one I will give you is Nascar.
Charlotte is the home of the $12 an hour job! You get the $12 after being with the company 5 years!
Some people are just delusional. And the salaries here are not above the national average at all.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 PM

162 posts, read 240,103 times
Quote:
By the way, you left out Chick Fil A, McDonalds, Zaxbys, Auto Bell and Burger King! LMAO!

Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,815 times
Quote:
the carlisle group has 1, that's right, 1 job opening in charlotte.
Nucor has no jobs in charlotte.
Bojangles, coca cola, snyders, harris teeter? Do i start laughing now?
Lowes, family dollar and belk? Is that the best you have?
American airlines?
Football, basketball and hockey? Are you a qb, point guard or goalie?
The only one i will give you is nascar.
Charlotte is the home of the $12 an hour job! You get the $12 after being with the company 5 years!
Some people are just delusional. And the salaries here are not above the national average at all.

yes!!!!!!- If I could rep you a 1000 times...I would.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
American Airlines?

Duke Energy, Westinghouse, Red Ventures, etc etc. I could give you a 100+ companies that hire engineers, product managers, software developers, etc....companies that have regional and east coast hubs. Most companies have plenty of jobs that never get posted on the internet.

For instance go to indeed.com and use Energy and Charlotte.. And this is ONE industry. Trust me, these jobs pay more than $12 an hours.

Some of you people are just flat out fk'n ignorant and that explains your sad ass situation.

I don't think most people really know how to fully utilize resources to find jobs. Microsoft still has a large presence in Charlotte...
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/micros...s-charlotte-nc. I always tell folks to start with linkedin...

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-29-2016 at 06:52 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times
Quote:
American Airlines?

You think that by working in a job for more than 5 years you should automatically earn more than 12 bucks an hour? You think that the companies you are laughing at do not pay high salaries? I don't understand why you are laughing.

I would recommend that you refocus your efforts inward and learn more about what types of jobs pay the salary you are expecting. Your false assumptions of companies like Family Dollar, Lowes, etc, show me that you don't understand much about the types of opportunities available. There are many, many high paying jobs in each of the companies you laughed at above.

It's not the city's fault that you don't have your dream job. Do you think there is a city with more job opportunities than Charlotte for your specific job? What is your ideal job? Do you have the skills to perform that job? If not, what can you do to gain those skills? Focus on yourself and demonstrate your abilities and work ethic and the good pay will follow.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte