Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,252,984 times

Advertisements

Take it easy on noname13 guys, he might've lost all his money on a bet that both Cam and Rivera would've been gone from the Panthers by now

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26657980-post992.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 AM

112 posts, read 106,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
You think that by working in a job for more than 5 years you should automatically earn more than 12 bucks an hour? You think that the companies you are laughing at do not pay high salaries? I don't understand why you are laughing.

I would recommend that you refocus your efforts inward and learn more about what types of jobs pay the salary you are expecting. Your false assumptions of companies like Family Dollar, Lowes, etc, show me that you don't understand much about the types of opportunities available. There are many, many high paying jobs in each of the companies you laughed at above.

It's not the city's fault that you don't have your dream job. Do you think there is a city with more job opportunities than Charlotte for your specific job? What is your ideal job? Do you have the skills to perform that job? If not, what can you do to gain those skills? Focus on yourself and demonstrate your abilities and work ethic and the good pay will follow.

Good luck!
This!

I moved down here from DC and I make quite a bit more here as a software engineer than I did up there. You are obviously in the wrong line of work so fix it.

By the way, this poster has spent the last three years complaining about Charlotte and making fun of the Panthers. I'm not quite sure why they haven't just returned to NY.

Last edited by miaheatfan; 01-31-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 04:30 PM

162 posts, read 238,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Take it easy on noname13 guys, he might've lost all his money on a bet that both Cam and Rivera would've been gone from the Panthers by now

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26657980-post992.html
And by the way genius, Rivera was almost fired by the owner after last season, so talk to him first, I am sure he could let you in on the negotiations being you are so relevant

Old 01-31-2016, 06:43 PM

280 posts, read 945,024 times
Instead of complaining about Charlotte online get out and FFIO.

Jobs don't grow on trees. The people getting the jobs are networking and making personal connections. A stack of resumes in my email or on my desk isn't worth anything compared to someone who has the initiative to come in and meet me in person and shake my hand. Find some networking groups in your field and get out there and shake some hands.

There are plenty of middle class neighborhoods. You can buy houses all across the spectrum from 100k to millions. There are good schools in suburbs with affordable housing and good schools in town too. Not every school is the most desirable but they're not all bad either. Again get out and get hands on.

I think you can solve most of your problems you list just by taking initiative and pounding the pavement.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 PM

645 posts, read 1,058,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Come on..you gotta be kidding me right? Similar metro size...Nashville, Indianapolis, Columbus, Orlando, Kansas City, San Antonio, etc. etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Charlotte is a burgeoning mid-size city and not nearly the size of Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc. The available jobs and expected salaries are on par with cities its size. And better in a lot of cases. I know there are several posters that make erroneous comparisons and one lunatic that constantly compares it to NYC. Laughable...not reality.
Ari,

I can't argue the statistics, but Charlotte was not much more that a wide spot in the road until AFTER the early '70's when liquor-by-the-drink laws were passed. National companies just didn't want to locate to Charlotte for that reason. Charlotte was a small, backwards, bible thumpin' town until the '80's. Since then it has taken off economically, but it lacks diversity in so many areas which include the job market. That diversity will not grow until the city matures. That may be another fifty years.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 AM

436 posts, read 441,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Ari,

I can't argue the statistics, but Charlotte was not much more that a wide spot in the road until AFTER the early '70's when liquor-by-the-drink laws were passed. National companies just didn't want to locate to Charlotte for that reason. Charlotte was a small, backwards, bible thumpin' town until the '80's. Since then it has taken off economically, but it lacks diversity in so many areas which include the job market. That diversity will not grow until the city matures. That may be another fifty years.

Everything about what you have written is your personal opinion and far from reality. To think that a corporation wouldn't move to Charlotte because of brown bagging is insane. I believe that the motivator is growth and money. If you were even close to correct, the city wouldn't have "always" outpaced others in growth. Charlotte was much smaller years ago but has never been a backwards town. You have assumed incorrectly or listened to those that were sheltered. If you don't think that the area is diverse, you have issues. You just have no idea what was around in earlier days.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Ari,

That's absurd and out of touch with reality and the data disputes these gross generalizations. From a demographics standpoint, it is one of the more diverse mid-size metros in the country. As far as jobs, it has already matured and continues to diversify and defy the misconception of being solely a "bank" town.

Although financial services is a key component of it's work force, the notion of a being a one trick pony isn't reflected in the data. Most cities/metros have a prominent industry, for instance energy (petroleum) in Houston and when there are slowdowns in those industries, it will impact the community but not to the point of devastation.

I provided a website link of similar metro sizes...which do you think offers more job diversity or population diversity? These places (like Charlotte) aren't the size DC, Houston, Philly, etc. Of the metros/cities I provided I can infer which might present better opportunities for jobs...Denver, CO and Austin, TX. And it's marginal at best and still depends on level of education, experience and network. Charlotte, Nashville, Kansas City, Orlando, etc. etc. are mid-size cities/metros whose workforce diversification isn't as robust as major metros.

There is a reason the city has two of the more popular professional sports teams. A due diligence assessment was used to determine if the city/metro/region could economically support a team based on statistics, not anecdotes or derogatory perceptions. Stick with the data because everything else is opinion and tainted with bias and isn't good business acumen.

In my opinion, the one thing that could've been a catalyst for overall cultural happenings in the area is a prominent urban university/college. Although many people have a distaste for their "liberal" influences, these campuses tend to organically spawn a creative culture. I've always wondered why there isn't a Belk Univ or why some other prominent family didn't build such a campus or a downtown Charlotte U...perplexing.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 02-01-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,044,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's absurd and out of touch with reality and the data disputes these gross generalizations. From a demographics standpoint, it is one of the more diverse mid-size metros in the country. As far as jobs, it has already matured and continues to diversify and defy the misconception of being solely a "bank" town.

Although financial services is a key component of it's work force, the notion of a being a one trick pony isn't reflected in the data. Most cities/metros have a prominent industry, for instance energy (petroleum) in Houston and when there are slowdowns in those industries, it will impact the community but not to the point of devastation.

I provided a website link of similar metro sizes...which do you think offers more job diversity or population diversity? These places (like Charlotte) aren't the size DC, Houston, Philly, etc. Of the metros/cities I provided I can infer which might present better opportunities for jobs...Denver, CO and Austin, TX. And it's marginal at best and still depends on level of education, experience and network. Charlotte, Nashville, Kansas City, Orlando, etc. etc. are mid-size cities/metros whose workforce diversification isn't as robust as major metros.

There is a reason the city has two of the more popular professional sports teams. A due diligence assessment was used to determine if the city/metro/region could economically support a team based on statistics, not anecdotes or derogatory perceptions. Stick with the data because everything else is opinion and tainted with bias and isn't good business acumen.

In my opinion, the one thing that could've been a catalyst for overall cultural happenings in the area is a prominent urban university/college. Although many people have a distaste for their "liberal" influences, these campuses tend to organically spawn a creative culture. I've always wondered why there isn't a Belk Univ or why some other prominent family didn't build such a campus or a downtown Charlotte U...perplexing.
I agree that the post you were replying to would have been more true in 1995 than today. Charlotte has weathered the recent economic downturns really well. There aren't many cities one would rather live in during a recession. Nothing is ever perfect, but there has to be a reason so many people are choosing Charlotte as home over their alternative.

As for UNCC, I hope that the new light rail extension and future success of the football team integrates UNC Charlotte culture into the downtown growth. I think the uptown classes are a great start to building a more integrated college feel downtown. Maybe the baseball team can start playing some games in the minor league park too...unless they do this already?

I think it would be a really neat time to attend UNCC. You could live anywhere between uptown and campus and jump on the light rail for classes.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,570 times
North vs South

If there is something to complain about, then a valid argument can be made for new construction. Charlotte is constantly tearing down it's history. The destruction of NoDa is a perfect example.

Which is strange because up here in the North the developers try to retain the inner city character of the neighborhoods. Yes, the northern cities have sprawl in the burbs but there is a huge push to keep the old time architecture and character in place to draw people in. Even the surrounding small towns don't bulldoze old downtown buildings unless they are beyond repair and then they try to keep with the aesthetic. Buildings are usually gutted.

As far as the COL, I have no idea why someone would move to a city, ANY CITY, without a job. This isn't the 90s or early 00s. America has changed. Most cities have high COL. I still get a kick out of people looking for a 3br in a trendy neighborhood for $500 a month.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:40 AM

645 posts, read 1,058,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Everything about what you have written is your personal opinion and far from reality. To think that a corporation wouldn't move to Charlotte because of brown bagging is insane. I believe that the motivator is growth and money. If you were even close to correct, the city wouldn't have "always" outpaced others in growth. Charlotte was much smaller years ago but has never been a backwards town. You have assumed incorrectly or listened to those that were sheltered. If you don't think that the area is diverse, you have issues. You just have no idea what was around in earlier days.

Thump thump thump. You and Ari need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte