U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:31 AM

21,881 posts, read 27,145,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I don't have a problem with Venison. I do have a problem with a restaurant picking up random dead animals off of the road and cutting it up in their delivery cars. What animal is next? I can tell you I won't be finding out.
Yeah, I'd steer clear of that place. It's one thing if the roadkill is on the menu as such, but otherwise, no way would I go to that place. Years ago there was a place called The Roadkill Cafe in the Pine Barrens. The menu was flexible because it depended on the roadkill du jour. A food critic from the Philadelphia Inquirer ran across the place & actually gave it a good review. If roadkill is clearly labeled as such I don't have a problem with that, but I wouldn't eat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 02:07 PM

436 posts, read 334,875 times
It can be just as good as cat and/or dog if cooked properly if the paint and glass is removed.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:48 PM

445 posts, read 678,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
It can be just as good as cat and/or dog if cooked properly if the paint and glass is removed.

And plenty of yum yum sauce.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,264,159 times
Ugh this story makes me mad for a lot of reasons. There is such a stigma attached to roadkill in this country. I honestly don't understand it. No you don't want to be picking up dead animals that's been dead for several hours.(to the person that said days carcasses do certain things after a certain time frame. If you're informed you know.) If the animal was freshly killed there was no issue. The health department didn't cite them because the animal was cut up in the parking lot. I'm sure they planned on using it for personal use, as venison has a noticeable taste, that even a yummy orange sauce wouldn't mask.

There is some risk here. It was about 10 years ago a goat was butchered by a bunch of hispanics in a restaurant in rowan county, and there was an e coli outbreak. it killed a person. Being a hunter, and having butchered 100's of animals you have to take great care when removing the organs. Meat naturally has no bacteria, but bust open the stomach or the intestines, and boom you can have it all over the meat.

Restaurant Linked to E. Coli Shut Down (illegals slaughter live goat in kitchen after hours)

I can understand why people are upset about this, but it's truly because they are uniformed. I trust that the health inspector did his job, and the carcass was handled correctly, and yes I personally have ate roadkill, and it was yummy. The last time I handled roadkill was when I lived in PA. Driving home one night we seen a dead buck on the side of the road. Poor guy was still warm. Hated to see it go to waste. I threw it in the truck, and took it home, and dressed it out. The next day I took it to a big cat rescue. There was nothing wrong with the deer. I didn't want it, but I didn't want to see it rotting on the side of the roads. Those big kitty's sure enjoyed it.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM

57 posts, read 109,997 times
Yeah, I am willing to bet some of your roadside BBQ places have done the same thing.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,199,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy58 View Post
Yeah, I am willing to bet some of your roadside BBQ places have done the same thing.

I don't eat at roadside BBQ places either.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 PM

545 posts, read 459,742 times
Sweet and Sour Bambi is now on the menu!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:15 PM

645 posts, read 755,713 times
Didn't a similar thing happen about eighteen months ago?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 AM

436 posts, read 334,875 times
Lets be honest, in today's society, taking roadkill home and eating it is something you would expect with starving third world people or on a "survivor" type T.V. show. I wouldn't eat in a restaurant where the owners would stoop to that level. I would especially be concerned with the sanitation level there. There's lots of bad germs on the side of roads that can infest a dead animal quickly.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:39 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,264,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Lets be honest, in today's society, taking roadkill home and eating it is something you would expect with starving third world people or on a "survivor" type T.V. show. I wouldn't eat in a restaurant where the owners would stoop to that level. I would especially be concerned with the sanitation level there. There's lots of bad germs on the side of roads that can infest a dead animal quickly.
so your basing your opinion on a stigma, and a stereotype. This was investigated, and the health inspector didn't have a problem with it. It wasn't the greatest PR move for the owner, but this really sounds a lot worse than it is. I would be more interested in seeing past inspections, and did they have any critical violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or