U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,194,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
so your basing your opinion on a stigma, and a stereotype. This was investigated, and the health inspector didn't have a problem with it. It wasn't the greatest PR move for the owner, but this really sounds a lot worse than it is. I would be more interested in seeing past inspections, and did they have any critical violations.
Only because the deer was cut up in the delivery car and not the restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Only because the deer was cut up in the delivery car and not the restaurant.
from the article it sounded like the deer was skinned and gutted in the parking lot, and it mentioned they washed the meat in the sink. the article was poorly written imo. Regardless the health inspector didn't find it to be an issue. I don't either having worked on a farm, and having worked in restaurants for the last 15 years. If these people were doing something wrong they would have been shut down. I'm not a fan of government agencies but the county health departments do a really good job here in NC imo

Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM

436 posts, read 334,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
so your basing your opinion on a stigma, and a stereotype.

1. Yes it is my opinion.
2. Based on a "stigma?" Please clarify.
3. I don't think that health consciousness and the avoidance of roadside dead animals with a precarious bacterial infestation status is a stereotype. I consider it 21st century common sense.

This was investigated, and the health inspector didn't have a problem with it. It wasn't the greatest PR move for the owner, but this really sounds a lot worse than it is. I would be more interested in seeing past inspections, and did they have any critical violations.

This was investigated after the fact. I have known Chinese restaurants to be closed for selling cat to customers. I personally am not a picky eater and in my life have eaten dog and monkey. I am concerned with the origins of what I eat. I never trust grocery stores or markets to clean the vegetables that they sell. I do it myself. I am cautious of Asian restaurants. I have lived in Asia. Their sanitation standards are different than ours in many of the countries. Their bodies have adjusted to eating contaminants that would make us ill in many cases. If you read the sanitation scores that are made available, you would have noticed that 90 percent of the worse scores are from Asian restaurants. I don't always agree with the low scores, but I am thankful that they are there in Charlotte where restaurants are very diverse. These scores don mean too much to me unless the write-ups are for not washing hands, or not refrigerating.

Sometimes I feel the low grades are not warranted. For example, I had just eaten at an Indian restaurant that was closed shortly after I left by the health dept. The temperature of the buffet dishes wasn't high enough. Sometimes the spices that are used in certain dishes allows the temperature to safely be a bit lower. I believe this is the case in this situation. In parts of Indian, spices are used as a antibacterial since refrigeration is not always available. So, they know a bit about that subject.

Bottom line, if I were to hit a deer, and I were not me, I would consider keeping the deer if I felt that the injury to the liver and other organs containing biles, etc. were not severe enough to make the meat a risk to eat. And, I have no problems with the people from the restaurant eating whatever they wish. But, do I think that they might use the deer meat as a fill-in for certain dishes? probably.

We all come from different places and have our personal opinions. You are likely right with what you feel. But we are what we are and what we believe is hopefully based on actual experience and knowledge. Even stereotypes are often based on actuality. This is a very long answer and I need to shut up now, and I am sure that you agree if you have bothered to read my rant to this point. I personally would have stopped after the second paragraph.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,064,953 times
Heh heh, I remember when this happened in Buffalo a few years back. So many jokes were made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or