U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:30 PM

51 posts, read 63,982 times

Advertisements

Thank you for you response. I'm considering public and private. I'm just not sure where. Do you have any personal opinion about the public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
Is your son's school diverse?

There are plenty of "top-rated" schools in the Charlotte area, but most are not diverse and are really only "top-rated" because they are in more affluent areas. Myers Park is probably the best example of one that is both good and diverse.

Just curious, what made you pick Charlotte? I like Charlotte but if you can live anywhere and it sounds like your biggest reason for leaving is the weather, there are probably better choices out there.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:14 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,738,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupen View Post
Thank you for you response. I'm considering public and private. I'm just not sure where. Do you have any personal opinion about the public schools?
You can get a good education in the public schools here. So often a school's reputation is based on test scores which is a function of demographics. Perhaps your #1 school in Ohio is a mostly affluent population for instance. Most schools in Charlotte try to have a little bit of balance. Starting in middle school, there are special honors classes for higher achievers, and the public high schools in Charlotte have a full array of AP (some have IB) classes. My child went to public schools in Charlotte (IB at Myers Park), received a full scholarship to a top university and is now attending Stanford for a PhD. It's really up to the child and the parents.

and as GoPhils says, Myers Park is both good and diverse. There are plenty of affluent families at MP which help support the school, but also various nationalities, income levels and races. It's why we loved it. The International Baccalaureate program is top notch.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:28 PM

We live in a very affluent neighborhood very similar to MP and our entire school system has less than 800 kids. We probably have 10% of people from other countries. I'm brazilian married with an american. The reason why we are choosing Charlotte is because my husband travels more in the East part of the country and other reason is that we have already some friends in the Charlotte area. That would make easier for us.

GoPhils what are the better choices for warmer weather in your opinion?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:25 AM

Ok, traveling throughout the east makes Charlotte a more attractive choice due to the airport and Charlotte's central location, and I guess rules out the west coast which many seem to love the weather of.

Most would agree Charlotte's weather is much better than OH, but it still gets cold in the winter (just doesn't last very long) with the occasional snow and the summers are long and hot. If you are looking to get rid of snow altogether (maybe you aren't, a lot of people do like Charlotte's weather because you get all 4 seasons), other popular areas for relocation particularly for work from home folks include Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL. But if one of you would need to find a new job later, it is harder to find a job in the first three in particular. Then of course you have Raleigh/Durham which is pretty similar to Charlotte in a lot of aspects.

But back to Charlotte, if you don't want cookie cutter it sounds like you might like Myers Park or Davidson. Those are two of the most expensive areas in the Charlotte metro so might need to go to the top of your budget to get something you like. Would your housing budget change depending on if you choose public or private schools? I've heard mostly good things about the private schools but they can cost as much as some colleges - https://www.charlotteagenda.com/1669...st-of-tuition/

Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
The big 3 are Country Day, Latin and Providence Day. There are a very limited number of slots in general, and even more so if it isn't a natural entry point like the start of middle school or high school. And even then, a lot of the slots may go to siblings/alumni kids etc.

Other options would be Cannon and Davidson Day up north, as well as more religiously based schools like Charlotte Christian or one of the Catholic Elementary schools.

Keep in mind that many of the kids at the private schools may not live in the immediate area of the school.

Thank you GoPhils that's a great reply and for sure can help a lot of people here. I agree with about those cities and we thought about some those them too. Airport for my husband will be very important and he has some clients in Charlotte area. This is another reason that we choose there. I'm not opposed to Cookie Cutter houses. We just need to get used too and find a good builder. Meyers Park is beautiful but the houses prices are very high and you could not afford a private school if we don't like the public school. We went on Davidson. It's such a nice city but we didn't get the click abut living there. Last night I was doing some research in Fort Mill and could be an option too. Do you know anything about that area? I think I'm giving up with the cookie cutter houses situation. LOL In this life we need to be more flexible, right? Tks again.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:42 AM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Thank you GoPhils that's a great reply and for sure can help a lot of people here. I agree with about those cities and we thought about some those them too. Airport for my husband will be very important and he has some clients in Charlotte area. This is another reason that we choose there. I'm not opposed to Cookie Cutter houses. We just need to get used too and find a good builder. Meyers Park is beautiful but the houses prices are very high and you could not afford a private school if we don't like the public school. We went on Davidson. It's such a nice city but we didn't get the click abut living there. Last night I was doing some research in Fort Mill and could be an option too. Do you know anything about that area? I think I'm giving up with the cookie cutter houses situation. LOL In this life we need to be more flexible, right? Tks again.
You could also look at Belmont, Cramerton, & SE Gastonia. They are quick & easy access for the airport. If you decide that the public schools aren't right for you, Gaston Day has a very good reputation.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:13 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,660,180 times
Quote:
Thank you for your information. I'm looking for all options. Now we live in Ohio and we have a number 1 public school in the state. Is very hard to take the right decision when we live in a small great community with a 5 minutos walking distance from the school.The traffic here is great. But the weather is terrible. All my friends are moving south. We are trying to decide between Charlotte and the suburbs but we didn't take the right decision yet. My husband can work from home and we can choose where we can live. My soon is in 3th grade, loves sports and is very sociable. I don't like cookie cutter houses but I think would be hard to find a good subdivision that is not a cookie cutter. We are looking for homes that are between 375k and 500k with family activities.
I suspect you are in Cinci, I think Walnut Hills is top rated school in Ohio. We moved from Chagrin Falls 11 years ago, couldn't be happier. My daughter graduated from Ole Miss and son attends UNC. We find some of the Union County schools some of the better schools in area (Marvin, Weddington, Cuthberson) and you may want to search some of these areas. Our kids went to Weddington.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know a ton about Fort Mill, just that it seems to be growing rapidly and people seem to like the public schools down there (there is a separate York and Lancaster County in SC forum on here if you want to ask on there). A commute to uptown may not be ideal but just going to the airport occasionally should be less than 30 minutes most days.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Thank you all for the posts. It is always great to know different opinions and know more about the area. I still looking all the choices and I will post here when we decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte