U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
OP:

Are you sure that you want to relocate to Charlotte now?

The non-natives are hostile.
I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that the first post came off a bit negative. Notice that all of us that did point that out (except for maybe one) also offered constructive recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM

20 posts, read 17,066 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
We just moved to this area (Davidson) a few months ago and I can see where the OP is coming from. Versus the Northeast and Northwest, people in this area tend to wear it on their sleeve a lot more. Homes are bigger and much better appointed and much more opulent than you find in the North. Locals here also tend to drive nicer and newer cars, and consumer spending seems to be a lot higher. So, its easy to be taken aback by some of this. I suspect one of the main causes for the differences compared to those up north is the cost of living and very high taxes on the northern coasts don't leave as much for discretionary spending so we've gotten into a pattern of "government imposed frugality".

While you do see the country club types in their Range Rovers tooling around, there are many more less affluent and "regular" people around here. In terms of outdoorsy types, we went to an REI store near Charlotte and were surprised how many hikers/bikers/campers we saw shopping there. Charlotte is a big town and there are groups for everyone here.

Thank you- this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

I am used to a 1200sqft fixer costing 600K. So seeing homes that are nearly 4000 sqft is mind-boggling to me.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 PM

164 posts, read 127,623 times
Agree. We thought our new home was fancy because it had crown molding but then we visited friends (not Range Rover drivers) who have really swanky places. When I look at home interiors on Zillow, they look like High Roller suites in Vegas. Not to our taste at all. We have some work to do to update our home but I don't think we'll ever get to the Louis XV kitchen cabinets and gold inlaid toilet seats level.

But again, moving from Boston we are saving about $12,000 per year in property taxes and maybe $400,000 on the home price so I can easily see how people will have more disposable income here and find ways to dispose of it!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:59 PM

436 posts, read 334,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingChick View Post
Hi there,

We may get transferred to the Huntersville area from the Midwest and I'm concerned that the area isn't a good fit for us. I see a lot of "country clubs" and golf courses, which isn't our thing at all. We are hikers, mountain bikers and such...is there much of an active lifestyle there? From what I've seen online, the area looks kind of uppity.

We used to live in the Pacific Northwest and really enjoyed the open-minded, progressive lifestyle and diversity. Is the area pretty narrow-minded?

Lastly, is a commute from the city realistic?

Thank you!!

My friends moved back from the "progressive" Pacific Northwest. She is a teacher, he is a naval officer. She is also one of the most beautiful women you'll ever see. She hated it. She said that the bitchy women continuously made fun of her accent behind her back and eliminated her from practically all social opportunities. She a wonderful, accepting person that is very friendly and should never have to endure such nastiness. I have of this sort of treatment from others that have lived there as well. You might call people that live in their little "live my way or no way" world "progressive," I call them narrow-minded douchebags. I think that you would not like it here because everyone may not be exactly like you. By the way, I live in the Davidson area. In this part of the world, we do not force people to join country clubs or play golf. We have all types of people here. You do know that we have 2 1/2 million people in this area?

Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Quote:

I am used to a 1200sqft fixer costing 600K. So seeing homes that are nearly 4000 sqft is mind-boggling to me.
I'm 100% confident I can sell you a 1200sqft fixer for 600k if you'd like to spend that? Just hit me up and we'll make this deal happen and you'll be more comfortable living here!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 PM

191 posts, read 317,279 times
Default Welcome to North Carolina

Quote:
Hi there,

We may get transferred to the Huntersville area from the Midwest and I'm concerned that the area isn't a good fit for us. I see a lot of "country clubs" and golf courses, which isn't our thing at all. We are hikers, mountain bikers and such...is there much of an active lifestyle there? From what I've seen online, the area looks kind of uppity.

We used to live in the Pacific Northwest and really enjoyed the open-minded, progressive lifestyle and diversity. Is the area pretty narrow-minded?

Lastly, is a commute from the city realistic?

Thank you!!
First, I hope I can get you off to a better start here😉 I love the Pacific Northwest, easy to see why the hesitation to moving here, but truly we have some great areas. It sounds like you may be a perfect fit for Davidson! A bit artsy, college vibe, but not a typical college town. There is a country club community, but plenty of restored homes near the quaint downtown area. The town prides itself on outdoor greenways. Check out fisher farm park! Any town will be what you make of it. In my profession, I actually see that we are a groaning area of diversity with most of our population actually transplants from elsewhere. Find someone to show you the great areas, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. Again, welcome to the South!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 AM

487 posts, read 656,645 times
Quote:

See this is what gets me instead of saying WOW you sure can get a lot of house for the money you came in disparaging people for large houses. The dollar stretches here for housing. It is great. I have a house for sale in Huntersville that is lovely and 3400 sq feet for 275K. It is not a fixer upper, It sucks for ME the market has not gone up but it is well worth the money. Heck I dont think you could build it for that.

My loss is someone's gain!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
See this is what gets me instead of saying WOW you sure can get a lot of house for the money you came in disparaging people for large houses. The dollar stretches here for housing. It is great. I have a house for sale in Huntersville that is lovely and 3400 sq feet for 275K. It is not a fixer upper, It sucks for ME the market has not gone up but it is well worth the money. Heck I dont think you could build it for that.

My loss is someone's gain!
The market has come up. I think in most areas of Charlotte prices are just about at their highs from before the crash. Hopefully there's not another one coming soon (although at least this time the rise has seemed to be more gradual)...

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 AM

487 posts, read 656,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The market has come up. I think in most areas of Charlotte prices are just about at their highs from before the crash. Hopefully there's not another one coming soon (although at least this time the rise has seemed to be more gradual)...
I paid 272K in 2006 for the house. Huntersville is not up like some areas. It is what it is. We moved to Davidson and need this one gone so someone will get a great deal.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
I paid 272K in 2006 for the house. Huntersville is not up like some areas. It is what it is. We moved to Davidson and need this one gone so someone will get a great deal.
LOL like I said, most areas of Charlotte are about at their previous highs... From what I've seen in looking Huntersville is up as much or more than many other areas. And again from what I've seen if it truly was a "great deal" then it'd be under contract in a week. Good luck to you and congrats on your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or