U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:03 PM

20 posts, read 17,066 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We may get transferred to the Huntersville area from the Midwest and I'm concerned that the area isn't a good fit for us. I see a lot of "country clubs" and golf courses, which isn't our thing at all. We are hikers, mountain bikers and such...is there much of an active lifestyle there? From what I've seen online, the area looks kind of uppity.

We used to live in the Pacific Northwest and really enjoyed the open-minded, progressive lifestyle and diversity. Is the area pretty narrow-minded?

Lastly, is a commute from the city realistic?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM

777 posts, read 2,272,312 times
Just because you work in Huntersville doesn't mean you have to live up there. 485 (Northwest section) will get you access to the river (for flatwater kayaking), Whitewater Center (for mountain biking and lots more), rural areas, and a short drive to the mountain for hiking (and Crowders Mountain and Kings Mountain are 30-40 minutes away for hiking). Mountain Island lake is also out there and is nothing like Lake Norman.

Reverse commute from CLT isn't too bad depending on where you live. Be aware that there will be construction on 77 for the new toll lanes that will take a few years to finish.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
You say you really enjoyed the "open-minded" part of the Pacific Northwest yet you are coming here with what seems to be a very narrow-minded, or even closed minded attitude? Home is what you make of it. If you choose to read negative stuff, about any area, there's plenty of it on the internet certainly. I'd recommend looking into specific things you are interested in and seeing what you can find. Search for mountain biking charlotte or hiking NC and you'll get more diverse points of view.

I literally have no idea how anyone would say this area is all about country clubs and golf courses honestly. We don't have great golf courses, or even a lot of them, IMO. There are country clubs but the vast majority of people don't belong to one. Again, focus on the activities within a reasonable drive of Huntersville and you might just be surprised what you find. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 PM

162 posts, read 200,353 times
Wow you really are open minded. Country Clubs upset you! Yes there are country clubs...WHO CARES! Golf? Really? How do you feel about Tennis? Uppity..as opposed to what? If you are looking for scraggly, disheveled, unhappy, pot smoking young people walking the streets with their dogs by their sides and carrying guitars then look elsewhere. If you are looking for unhinged rabble rousers protesting the government then look elsewhere. If you are looking to join the Occupy Wall Street movement then look elsewhere. People here are very open minded. They are open minded about their children's success in school, they are open mind about youth sports, they are open minded about the development of their local community. People here are generally happy and enjoy a safe environment for their children and families. People here are open minded about shooting guns at the local range and going to church on Sundays. People here enjoy going on the lake and are very open minded about fishing. People here are open minded about going to a baseball game or a Friday night High School football game. People here are open minded about having a few beers with friends. Yes we are very open minded. So if this is not what you are looking for hop on your bike and ride NORTHWEST! Seattle would be a very nice fit for you, FYI, watch out for discarded used needles that may be laying around the playground.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:11 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You say you really enjoyed the "open-minded" part of the Pacific Northwest yet you are coming here with what seems to be a very narrow-minded, or even closed minded attitude? Home is what you make of it. If you choose to read negative stuff, about any area, there's plenty of it on the internet certainly.
Lol, agree. If OP was somehow able to use the internet to conclude that the area was uppity and narrow-minded, certainly they could have used it to find activities they are interested in. Here is a website that lists some mountain biking trails in Charlotte, which includes 3-4 in the Lake Norman area - Tarheel TrailBlazers - Charlotte Mountain Bike Club

No, it's not going to be like the PNW (and the internet should've also told you that the actual mountains are 2+ hours away), but overall Charlotte is pretty active IMO. Hopefully you get a chance to visit first. InSouthPark gave some good suggestions for some of the more popular outdoor activities. There are also a decent amount of parks and greenways in Charlotte, so I'd recommend visiting some of these places and live near ones you like the best.

Yes there are a fair amount of golf courses in the Charlotte area, but I don't think there are any more in Huntersville than other areas. And that's really just because the weather allows you to play almost year-round, I don't think there are that many people out there every day. I don't really see how Huntersville would be considered "uppity," I could maybe see Cornelius described that way but still not narrow-minded. Parts of South Charlotte could be considered a bit uppity as well (still not narrow-minded), although you wouldn't really want to commute from South Charlotte to Huntersville anyway (from the uptown area it wouldn't be too bad although as mentioned I-77 around Lake Norman can have a lot of traffic even when going what you think would be opposite of traffic.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:08 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,281,275 times
Man you people are sensitive...

To the OP, yes there is lots to do to get outside, but from Huntersville, the nice thing is that he mountains and Asheville are not even an hour away. Lots of opportunities to get to hiking, mountains, rivers, and the outdoors in one direction, or head to Charlotte for concerts, musicals, plays, sports, etc in the other direction. Like mentioned, there's also the National Whitewater center, Lake Norman, some greenways, etc.

People in the Charlotte area are mostly transplants from elsewhere, so you will find all types, including those you enjoy being with.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
but from Huntersville, the nice thing is that he mountains and Asheville are not even an hour away.
What mountains are you getting to from Huntersville in "not even an hour"? Certainly not Asheville unless you own a plane. Stone Mountain or Pilot Mountain might be about 1.5 hours but those are the closest that I can think of.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:38 AM

487 posts, read 656,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You say you really enjoyed the "open-minded" part of the Pacific Northwest yet you are coming here with what seems to be a very narrow-minded, or even closed minded attitude? Home is what you make of it. If you choose to read negative stuff, about any area, there's plenty of it on the internet certainly. I'd recommend looking into specific things you are interested in and seeing what you can find. Search for mountain biking charlotte or hiking NC and you'll get more diverse points of view.

I literally have no idea how anyone would say this area is all about country clubs and golf courses honestly. We don't have great golf courses, or even a lot of them, IMO. There are country clubs but the vast majority of people don't belong to one. Again, focus on the activities within a reasonable drive of Huntersville and you might just be surprised what you find. Good luck.
THANK YOU!

I am astounded at how judgmental people from other areas are about a place they have never been. You would think that women are not allowed shoes and you are given a bible and white sheet with the keys to your house.

With the attitude as typed you won't fit in because you (OP) will be offended that no one cares about country clubs and golf unless YOU LIKE IT. I don't like golf so I don't care to learn about it. I live north of Huntersville (although lived in Huntersville a decade NOT on a golf course and NOT in a country club) and there are plenty of outdoorsy thinks to do.

I would suggest coming here open minded and seeing what we have to offer. And find a community filled with the Northeasterners and y'all can complain about the things you are missing (j/k sorta). I am a west coast transplant myself and love it here. I find the diversity and openness way better than in CA. But then I embrace my new home.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 PM

645 posts, read 755,337 times
OP:

Are you sure that you want to relocate to Charlotte now?

The non-natives are hostile.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 PM

164 posts, read 127,623 times
We just moved to this area (Davidson) a few months ago and I can see where the OP is coming from. Versus the Northeast and Northwest, people in this area tend to wear it on their sleeve a lot more. Homes are bigger and much better appointed and much more opulent than you find in the North. Locals here also tend to drive nicer and newer cars, and consumer spending seems to be a lot higher. So, its easy to be taken aback by some of this. I suspect one of the main causes for the differences compared to those up north is the cost of living and very high taxes on the northern coasts don't leave as much for discretionary spending so we've gotten into a pattern of "government imposed frugality".

While you do see the country club types in their Range Rovers tooling around, there are many more less affluent and "regular" people around here. In terms of outdoorsy types, we went to an REI store near Charlotte and were surprised how many hikers/bikers/campers we saw shopping there. Charlotte is a big town and there are groups for everyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or