U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:28 PM

132 posts, read 96,051 times

Advertisements

From what I know, CLT has a lot of transplants, and I went over the summer and that appears to be the case. Where are most from, by city and/or region? I know a lot are from the Buffalo area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:26 PM

156 posts, read 145,729 times
Very cool interactive map.

The answer is: everywhere, but mainly the northeast.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 01-23-2016, 09:01 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,952 times
If I had to guess. Western new york. Western pa, and eastern ohio.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
They're from lands that do everything better:

schools
roads
driving
restaurants
nightlife
trash collection
beautification
sports teams
snow removal
and on and on

If you want to know how something is done better, just consult your favorite transplant. Bless their hearts. Slowly but surely under their well intended influence we are becoming more like their homelands each day - for better or worse.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 AM

57 posts, read 109,984 times
Transplants come from dead bodies and are transplanted into a body that still has a chance.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:23 AM

924 posts, read 1,854,105 times
I would like to add my 2 cents being that I am a transplant from Florida (22 years) via WV (24 years).

Schools (9)- My children are happy, their teachers are great, they are learning and that's all that matters to me.

Roads - (9)Better than WV, same construction everywhere that Florida always has - dealing with it- same traffic congestion

Driving - Nobody anywhere can drive - in any weather. LOL

Restaurants - (9)Same as everywhere else, but I do miss the good seafood. I can drive to Myrtle or the coast for that when I want it.

nightlife -(8) Not really interested, but uptown Charlotte is beautiful and is the cleanest city that I have ever seen, and walking around at night I feel safe in the area that the restaurants and clubs are in.

trash collection - Somebody complained about trash collection? Wow.

beautification -(10)- Charlotte is a beautiful city, sorry, nothing compares to the beach, but, like I said, I can drive for 3 hours and see that.

sports teams - (10)-OK Not sure there is anything like WVU fans, but Panther Nations is great. I love how this team has brought the state closer together this year. I don't have any ties to any of the colleges, so I can't really comment on them.

snow removal - No matter where you live they did it better wherever anyone from north came from, however, if you read the forums of people from the north, they are complaining about what their state is doing, too. Some people just can't be satisfied.

We have been here almost 8 years. The state is beautiful, the people are warm and kind, there is a lot to do, if you choose. People need to look for the good instead of pointing out the bad.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,023,531 times
In the Movie "Crimes and Misdemeanors" the character - psychology Professor Levy says of relationships: "When we fall in love, we are seeking to re-find all or some of the people to whom you were attached as children. On the other hand, we ask our beloved to correct all the wrongs that these early parents or siblings inflicted on us. So, love contains in it the contradiction, the attempts to return to the past and the attempt to undo the past." This is similar to what some "transplants" seem to be seeking when they relocate - to somehow recreate the abandoned "home" in an idealized, hoped-for version. It doesn't work and the "natives'" real home is often disturbed in the process.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,683,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy58 View Post
Transplants come from dead bodies and are transplanted into a body that still has a chance.

Hahaha!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,180,826 times
Southern California here...Charlotte resident for 3 years

Old 01-24-2016, 11:52 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I would like to add my 2 cents being that I am a transplant from Florida (22 years) via WV (24 years).

Schools (9)- My children are happy, their teachers are great, they are learning and that's all that matters to me.

Roads - (9)Better than WV, same construction everywhere that Florida always has - dealing with it- same traffic congestion

Driving - Nobody anywhere can drive - in any weather. LOL

Restaurants - (9)Same as everywhere else, but I do miss the good seafood. I can drive to Myrtle or the coast for that when I want it.

nightlife -(8) Not really interested, but uptown Charlotte is beautiful and is the cleanest city that I have ever seen, and walking around at night I feel safe in the area that the restaurants and clubs are in.

trash collection - Somebody complained about trash collection? Wow.

beautification -(10)- Charlotte is a beautiful city, sorry, nothing compares to the beach, but, like I said, I can drive for 3 hours and see that.

sports teams - (10)-OK Not sure there is anything like WVU fans, but Panther Nations is great. I love how this team has brought the state closer together this year. I don't have any ties to any of the colleges, so I can't really comment on them.

snow removal - No matter where you live they did it better wherever anyone from north came from, however, if you read the forums of people from the north, they are complaining about what their state is doing, too. Some people just can't be satisfied.

We have been here almost 8 years. The state is beautiful, the people are warm and kind, there is a lot to do, if you choose. People need to look for the good instead of pointing out the bad.

Great post! I agree with your total assessment.

I've found that sometimes the loudest voice in the room is the only one that is heard, and all too often it is negative. The fact remains that for every whiner there are 100's of happy people in this town. Not to say that everything is always perfect in Charlotte, but we have a lot to be proud and happy for and I really do believe that there is a ton to enjoy.

Your post is a breath of fresh air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or