U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
lol... people wanted Rivera fired last year.

but you are correct, reporters will bring up his ethnicity for clicks and ratings.

all I'm doing is admitting they will do it.
I remember when fox was here. everybody wanted him fired, and wanted cowher. people acted like he walked on water. they forgot he had i think three losing seasons. Rivera's sucess should show that patience is key sometimes.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't remember that angle and that's probably not the whole story. Since when is staying in SCHOOL a bad idea!
oh yea he dodged the panthers. Can't really blame him. The panthers were a dumpster fire, but I hate when it happens just like what Eli did.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,696,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Hillbilly View Post
It's funny how winning changes perspectives....about 14 months ago, when the panthers were sitting at I believe 3-7-1, fans wanted to know who the next coach was and were killing management for saddling this team with 2 over paid, underperforming RBs....fast forward 14 months later, Rivera is all of a sudden a genius and Stewart is the next coming of Walter Payton....newbie fans do have such short memories
I don't think many people wanted Rivera fired last year as he was coming off a 12-4 season. They did want him fired in the beginning of the 2014 season when they started 1-3, before of course going 11-1 the rest of the way.

But fans wanting coaches fired is certainly not unique to "newbie" fans. Pretty sure people wanted Tom Coughln fired during the 2011 season and they ended up winning the Super Bowl that same year.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 AM

211 posts, read 81,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think many people wanted Rivera fired last year as he was coming off a 12-4 season. They did want him fired in the beginning of the 2014 season when they started 1-3, before of course going 11-1 the rest of the way.

But fans wanting coaches fired is certainly not unique to "newbie" fans. Pretty sure people wanted Tom Coughln fired during the 2011 season and they ended up winning the Super Bowl that same year.
Majority of Giant fans that I speak to will tell you that they love Coughlin as a coach and it was time to move on (Coughlin technically resigned, he wasn't fired). Like I said, a year ago, people in Charlotte were SCREAMING for Rivera to be axed (Cowher apparently lives down here) for Cowher and killing management for the HORRIBLE contracts that were given to Williams and Stewart....the knock on Rivera was he didn't know how to properly use Newton and that Williams & Stewart were soft....fast forward a year, It's "We love Rivera, great coach" Stewart is a beast, and "look at what Williams is doing for Pitts, we should have never let him go"....the same people killing the GM for those horrible contracts and now genuflecting that the management is great with the moves they made ....that is what I meant by "newbie" fans

Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM

11,715 posts, read 9,338,106 times
well, Herney was responsible for those horrible contracts and he was fired.

Gettleman actually did a tremendous job maneuvering around it with the draft and clearing cap space by adding journeyman to the roster.

Rivera had no control over those contracts.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Majority of Giant fans that I speak to will tell you that they love Coughlin as a coach and it was time to move on (Coughlin technically resigned, he wasn't fired). Like I said, a year ago, people in Charlotte were SCREAMING for Rivera to be axed (Cowher apparently lives down here) for Cowher and killing management for the HORRIBLE contracts that were given to Williams and Stewart....the knock on Rivera was he didn't know how to properly use Newton and that Williams & Stewart were soft....fast forward a year, It's "We love Rivera, great coach" Stewart is a beast, and "look at what Williams is doing for Pitts, we should have never let him go"....the same people killing the GM for those horrible contracts and now genuflecting that the management is great with the moves they made ....that is what I meant by "newbie" fans
Do you even live within 200 miles of Charlotte?

I stand by my statement that few people wanted Rivera fired last year. I'm sure there were a few but there are a few idiot fans of every team. He was coming off a 12-4 season where he was named coach of the year. There were several reports including NFL.com speculating that he actually would be fired after the 2012 season, and even more speculation after they started 1-3 in 2013. But like I said, fans of all teams want coaches fired all the time. I was not talking about Coughlin this season, I was talking about people wanting him fired during the very same season that they won the Super Bowl. And good coaches do get fired. It happens. Bill Belichick was fired.

Sorry, the Stewart/Williiams comments prove you have no idea what you are talking about. Like Felt said, the Panthers got a new GM in 2013. It was no a secret that they were in a bad salary cap situation when he was hired and by all accounts he has done an amazing job getting out it. He restructured both Stewart and Williams contracts and of course eventually released Williams. I have not heard a single person say they wish Williams was still here regardless of his success in Pittsburgh (there were some people unhappy about the release of Steve Smith though).

Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Do you even live within 200 miles of Charlotte?

I stand by my statement that few people wanted Rivera fired last year. I'm sure there were a few but there are a few idiot fans of every team. He was coming off a 12-4 season where he was named coach of the year. There were several reports including NFL.com speculating that he actually would be fired after the 2012 season, and even more speculation after they started 1-3 in 2013. But like I said, fans of all teams want coaches fired all the time. I was not talking about Coughlin this season, I was talking about people wanting him fired during the very same season that they won the Super Bowl. And good coaches do get fired. It happens. Bill Belichick was fired.

Sorry, the Stewart/Williiams comments prove you have no idea what you are talking about. Like Felt said, the Panthers got a new GM in 2013. It was no a secret that they were in a bad salary cap situation when he was hired and by all accounts he has done an amazing job getting out it. He restructured both Stewart and Williams contracts and of course eventually released Williams. I have not heard a single person say they wish Williams was still here regardless of his success in Pittsburgh (there were some people unhappy about the release of Steve Smith though).
Lived here the past 20 years. Just because my OPINION differs from yours, you don't have to attack and get snarky....keep it classy Go

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Lived here the past 20 years. Just because my OPINION differs from yours, you don't have to attack and get snarky....keep it classy Go
That wasn't your opinion, you were stating what you were claiming the majority of others in Charlotte's opinions were. I asked if you lived nearby since if you didn't, at least that would give you an excuse for being so off-base with your comments. Particularly as I said with the Williams/Stewart statements. I'll maybe give you that there was some talk of Rivera possibly being fired after the 2014 season, but no one really thought it should have or would have happened during the season. Besides I did admit that people wanted Rivera gone, it just didn't happen when you said it did.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That wasn't your opinion, you were stating what you were claiming the majority of others in Charlotte's opinions were. I asked if you lived nearby since if you didn't, at least that would give you an excuse for being so off-base with your comments. Particularly as I said with the Williams/Stewart statements. I'll maybe give you that there was some talk of Rivera possibly being fired after the 2014 season, but no one really thought it should have or would have happened during the season. Besides I did admit that people wanted Rivera gone, it just didn't happen when you said it did.
I cannot possibly speak for the entire population of Charlotte, that is a ludicrous idea. The talk radio and people I have spoken to, the majority wanted him fired midway last year. The popular replacement was Cowher....some fans are of the mindset that memory only goes back to the last game. It's unfortunate, but that mindset does exist....if you win, you are great, if you lose, you are the worst....more educated fans look at the entire body of work

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM

569 posts, read 1,221,075 times
I have been a loyal fan since about 2002, I sat through all the years of them sucking with QB's like Matt Moore, Vinny Testaverde and Clausen. It is nice to see them have a great season. For the record, I always liked Stewart as our running back, the guy is a bulldozer and unstoppable when healthy. He did not play due to injuries for quite a long time.

Are they the one of the best teams in history?

Right now, yes in my opinion. It is not only winning, but the chemistry that makes them such a great team. Many of the Panther's are well respected members of the community. Our history is not squeaky clean, but I feel proud that new our team is not only good at winning, but also charitable, honest and great role models for the people. They are also a young team with a lot to prove, it is nice to finally get some respect. I believe we are setting ourselves up to become a great dynasty. Every team has their time. Dallas had theirs, New England and Steelers. It is now our time, so everybody get the heck out of our way. What an exciting time to be a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or