U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 06:24 PM

211 posts, read 81,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
If if IF they win tomorrow, and IF they're back in the SB next year and IF they win it all next year, then yes. The Panthers are in the greatest ever conversation.
Lots of "Ifs" there. Stop trying to force your way into the conversation....back to back is nice, but has been done before, This team is not in the class of the 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers or 90s Cowboys

Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 PM

5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
That could still put them in the range of the top 10 or so teams though which is about the best anyone's said. Not sure why people keep bringing up multiple seasons though, this is the only season we're talking about.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,267,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
That could still put them in the range of the top 10 or so teams though which is about the best anyone's said. Not sure why people keep bringing up multiple seasons though, this is the only season we're talking about.
cause one season is a flash in a pan. 85 bears. 2000 ravens. granted two of the greatest defenses of all time. Seriously look at it this way. How many future HOF are on the panthers? 2. Cam and Luke. That's it. That's not top ten greatness. Hillbilly said it best. They are in the top 50. The probably fall right in the mid 20's. I'd be alright to move them into the teens, but this isn't a top 10 team, and that's ok.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Hillbilly View Post
Lots of "Ifs" there. Stop trying to force your way into the conversation....back to back is nice, but has been done before, This team is not in the class of the 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers or 90s Cowboys
Re-read my post. I put those multiple ifs in there because I don't think the Panthers deserve to be in that conversation yet. However, if they win today, and IF they win next year; then they do deserve to be in the conversation. "In the conversation" to me means top 15 of all time. On the other hand, if Cam and company wins 5 rings over the next 9 seasons then that "conversation" changes quite a bit.

In my opinion, this is a question that needs to be revisited in 2025. Asking this in 2016 is a bit premature.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:23 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
The "greatest team ever" is a bogus premise.

Too much has changed, in all aspects, since football started.

At best you can go for the greatest team in an era, but not "ever." Understand the game. And its myriad of changes.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM

211 posts, read 81,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Re-read my post. I put those multiple ifs in there because I don't think the Panthers deserve to be in that conversation yet. However, if they win today, and IF they win next year; then they do deserve to be in the conversation. "In the conversation" to me means top 15 of all time. On the other hand, if Cam and company wins 5 rings over the next 9 seasons then that "conversation" changes quite a bit.

In my opinion, this is a question that needs to be revisited in 2025. Asking this in 2016 is a bit premature.
THANK YOU!!!!

totally agree....if this group goes to and wins 3 SBs in a 4 or 5 year run, then yes, they go into the discussion of all time great teams....but let them do it first, then discuss it

I will stick to what I originally said, if this team wins the SB, yes, for a single season, they get lumped in with all 50 SB winning teams as far as a great team for one season....if Denver wins today, then they get that honor

Last edited by Southeast Hillbilly; 02-07-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,860,106 times
Being 18-1 would certainly make them one of the greatest teams. That's 18-1 capped off with a Super Bowl win unlike the last 18-1 team we saw. I don't think some people quite grasp the scope of how difficult it is to win 18 games in an NFL season. Even when your opponent is clearly less talented, it's very easy for the better team to sometimes lose any given Sunday. Just being 18-1 alone could make them a good argument for the best of the modern era (post 2000s) so far.

Winning multiple years is irrelevant unless we're asking if they're a going to be a dynasty or something.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:40 AM

436 posts, read 336,148 times
We are fortunate to be the best team this year provided we win today. We should be happy with that and hope that the future remains successful. Having been in two super bowls is great. If we win today, it will be wonderful. But, we are not even close to being "the best team ever" point at this time. But, everyone has to start somewhere. Sadly, if we lose today, the 18-1 record will not be as significant. But, that isn't going to happen (I hope.)

Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
Thank goodness Keep It Simple has made his way to this thread to inject the all-knowing upon us.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:56 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Being 18-1 would certainly make them one of the greatest teams. That's 18-1 capped off with a Super Bowl win unlike the last 18-1 team we saw. I don't think some people quite grasp the scope of how difficult it is to win 18 games in an NFL season. Even when your opponent is clearly less talented, it's very easy for the better team to sometimes lose any given Sunday. Just being 18-1 alone could make them a good argument for the best of the modern era (post 2000s) so far.

Winning multiple years is irrelevant unless we're asking if they're a going to be a dynasty or something.
I agree, I have no idea why people keep talking about multiple years.

Ravens, Bucs and Bears had dominating defenses and people out them in the "best ever D" conversations all the time. No one says anything about being a great D 2 or 3 years in a row.

If the Panthers dominate the Broncos they will be in the best ever convo when we look back at what they accomplished vs other SB teams who won.

Anyone pointing out a weak schedule... answer this question. How tough was any of the "best ever" teams schedules the year they won the SB?

yeah, exactly, no one talks about their schedules because once you win, they only thing they compare is points, dominant wins, memorable games from the SB run, etc...

and when this Panther team is remembered all people will talk about is the 31 point half over Seattle, 40+ points on AZ and winning their first 15 games and going 22-2 in their last 24 games.

all they have to do is win the SB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or