Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Fans in ALL cities do what we're doing after a losing end to a great start. We deserve 24 hours of anger. Maybe 48 hours after this one. Hell, I'm ready to go to the next Hornets game just to get my mind off of football.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Well,

No matter how you feel about what Cam Newton did, unfortunately for the Panthers, this is what people will end up remembering about the entire season and Charlotte's 2nd trip to the Superbowl.

Such a shame.
Only by Cam haters. Most people will remember it for them going 15-1 during the regular season en route to the Super Bowl after losing their only good WR, and Cam winning MVP and Rivera winning Coach of the Year, but were outplayed by the Broncos in Peyton Manning's last game.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Hillbilly View Post

I don't recall Coach K "dabbing" or proclaiming that we have never seen anything like him before
Coach K doesn’t shake Syracuse players’ hands after third-straight loss | For The Win

Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM

211 posts, read 114,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
I don't think any of this behavior is good. But I think each of the incidents are small and pretty insignificant in the scope of judging a person's overall character.

I told you that I think Cam's body language was indeed poor and he came off poorly to the reporters. If that's all it takes to make someone a bad person, the list is short in sports. All big time coaches and athletes have run-ins with bad reporters and become annoyed/have bad days at some point.

Does dabbing make you mad because it's dancing? Not sure what the issue is with dancing. Do Aaron Rodgers celebrations bother you?

Have you ever seen a quarterback with the size and skill of Cam Newton? The experts that are paid to study the game are in agreement that he is a one of a kind talent that has not been seen. Does it bother you that Cam acknowledged this?

Cam said that if the dancing bothered anyone they should keep him out of the end zone. They did. And I didn't see any dancing. The story should be about Manning becoming an undisputed Top 5 quarterback of all time with his 2nd Super Bowl - not Cam's post game presser or whether or not your kid should look up to him.
I will answer your points....I don't think in this case it was a bad reporter, I think he didn't want to be there and didn't want to face the music....let's also be clear, no where, in any of my posts, and there are a lot criticizing him, did I ever say Cam Newton is a bad person. Outside of his laptop issue in college, never once did we hear he is in trouble....no drugs, no alcohol, nothing....I have never questioned his real life character

Dabbing after a first down....you are flat out showing up the other team....why? When Rodgers does his discount double check after a first down, yes, annoying, no place for it

Have I ever seen a QB with his size who was as mobile....no....one so called expert (Jaworski) said that Colin Kaepernick could be the greatest....lol, how's that working out....same draft experts let Brady go to the 6th round and I believe Montana to the third round, so these so called experts are not always on the mark

This whole "I am an African American QB" what's the reason for this? Should I differentiate and call Cam a good black QB as opposed to a good QB? He opened that can of worms, not the media....this race card is getting old, let's not play it....agreed?

Last edited by Southeast Hillbilly; 02-08-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 03:51 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Default Are the carolina Panthers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Bottom line, Newton has had a phenomenal year, but in this game, he played like he has in former games, not that good. Not only did he digress to olden times, he disgusted the world with his unintelligent comments and demeanor. I can get over his poor communication skills, but I can't get over his "Oh poor me" crap that has been observed since day one. The other members of the team cover him with their maturity and superior intellectual answers in the eyes of the world. He cares about himself and not the team. It is all about fame and glory of himself. Now it is sunken deeply. It was a bad game and we played poorly, but it happens. His behavior was deplorable and usually is,
Amen!
Cam Newton is the big public face of the Panther franchise. Prior to Super Bowl 50, there have been 49 winning quarterbacks & 49 losing quarterbacks. If in that history there has ever been a losing quarterback who was so graceless & classless afterwards in defeat as Cam was, I can't recall of it. And that's not an image that the Panther franchise will want to have associated with the team & city as it it is so solidly associated around the world at this moment.
Nobody likes a poor winner but equally, nobody likes a poor loser & Cam has been both.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Amen!
Cam Newton is the big public face of the Panther franchise. Prior to Super Bowl 50, there have been 49 winning quarterbacks & 49 losing quarterbacks. If in that history there has ever been a losing quarterback who was so graceless & classless afterwards in defeat as Cam was, I can't recall of it. And that's not an image that the Panther franchise will want to have associated with the team & city as it it is so solidly associated around the world at this moment.
Nobody likes a poor winner but equally, nobody likes a poor loser & Cam has been both.
Did you watch all 50 and all of their post game press conferences (and who knows when they even started having press conferences)?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
Quote:
I will answer your points....I don't think in this case it was a bad reporter, I think he didn't want to be there and didn't want to face the music....let's also be clear, no where, in any of my posts, and there are a lot criticizing him, did I ever say Cam Newton is a bad person. Outside of his laptop issue in college, never once did we hear he is in trouble....no drugs, no alcohol, nothing....I have never questioned his real life character

Dabbing after a first down....you are flat out showing up the other team....why? When Rodgers does his discount double check after a first down, yes, annoying, no place for it

Have I ever seen a QB with his size who was as mobile....no....one so called expert (Jaworski) said that Colin Kaepernick could be the greatest....lol,how's that working out....same draft experts let Brady go to the 6th round and I believe Montana to the third round, so these so called experts are not always on the mark

This whole "I am an African American QB" what's the reason for this? Should I differentiate and call Cam a good black QB as opposed to a good QB? He opened that can of worms, not the media....this race card is getting old, let's not play it....agreed?

No place for it? It's a GAME. Who cares? I say let them dance. Makes it more entertaining. Let them give balls to kids. Let them enjoy the moment. Celebrating isn't the same as taunting. And again, it's a kids GAME!

You think Cam brought up race for that race related headline? Have you watched his press conference that generated that quote in context? He was responding to a repeated question about dealing with criticism. The first time they asked, he said he relies on his religion and doesn't pay too much attention to detractors. They pushed again for the big juicy soundbite, and he knows that's what they're looking for, so when he mentions race, he prefaces it by identifying the baiting question and that the answer may make many people uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ByeunUXT4

Then of course, they edit it for the race statement and the headline becomes, "CAM BLAMES RACISM FOR DETRACTORS" as if the guy was complaining. So ironic. If you don't like his answer, don't ask the question "Why do you think some people are bothered by you?" How should he answer it?

Cam is an emotional person, for better or worse. He's going to celebrate in victory. He's going to sulk in defeat.

Judgmental fans intolerance for the way he celebrates and sulks and misplaced expectations for a sports figure is more of the issue than his behavior. Same things happened to Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali, Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman, Lee Trevino or any other expressive, emotional athletes. The difference is that we live in an era where the media can spin it either way.

There isn't a celebrity that is immune to controversy from the media. We love building up icons and tearing them down. This fact doesn't mean celebrities shouldn't be accountable for their actions, but it does mean we should do a bit of due diligence vs. judging everything off of the latest headline.

As for character flaws people can throw all kinds of stones. He does have a child out of wedlock. So does Tom Brady. Peyton's a suspected doper. Big Ben is a sexual assailant. Jordan had a gambling issue as well as infidelity suspicions. Greg Olsen rapped in college about gang rape. And on and on and on.

These guys are football players and should be considered that. They aren't politicians. They aren't teachers or public servants. I don't really care how they behave in a press conference and I certainly am more entertained when they are as compelling as Cam. I'm certainly not looking to them as role models for my kids on anything other than football skills.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 PM

211 posts, read 114,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Did you watch all 50 and all of their post game press conferences (and who knows when they even started having press conferences)?
Lol, you don't dispute he acted like an idiot, you want to debate if he was the worst?
You got it Phils....he was the 46th worst out of 50, does that make you fell better? Is that a good thing

Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
FWIW - if my kid was watching Cam sulk, I would tell him that it's ok to be sad but you've got to shake it off and keep your head up.

You know what's pretty ironic? Cam made a commercial with the line, "Too bad they don't make bandaids for feelings."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXe-XerqRI

Then he pouty faced for a press conference like a baby.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Lol, you don't dispute he acted like an idiot, you want to debate if he was the worst?
You got it Phils....he was the 46th worst out of 50, does that make you fell better? Is that a good thing
I don't know, I just think it's silly to make that kind of statement with likely nothing to back it up. I mean the article was already posted about Manning not shaking hands with Drew Brees when he lost, which Cam did to Manning, and that's was found easily just because Manning was the other QB yesterday. I'm sure you can easily find 20+ examples of "bad sportsmanship" in the Super Bowl, AKA players being upset that they just lost likely the biggest game of their career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte