U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 AM

11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Steve Smith was a missing element in the SB. Remember Cam's towel over his head days? Remember how Steve snapped Cam out of it? What other Alpha male on that offense calls bad-Cam out when he's acting like a child? My point exactly. Smith was needed in SB 50 because in THAT game, the old Cam returned.
Have you watched Inside the NFL and listened to Cam encouraging his OL during the game?

Don't be fooled by the media slant and hot takes spinning this as Cam pouting during the game.

Cam got beat up by a great defense. Now maybe Smith could of helped on the field since the WR's dropped a few watchable balls (cotchery, arghhh) but unless he helped in max protection or played Left Tackle I don't see where Smith was needed.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I loved Smith when he played for us but it was time for him to go. That ship has sailed and we've made it to the Super Bowl without him (or really any true WR threat for that matter). Smith was not the missing element on Sunday unless he is now an all pro OL who could handle the speed of Denver's ends.

Smith played with a ton of passion, that's for sure, and I always appreciated it. I'm not quite sold on him being a true leader though. He was noisy, talked a lot, got in teammates faces and screamed (and got into fights with them) but not sure that qualifies you to be anointed the "leader" because you're loudest? Takes more than that.

I'm not saying Cam is the best leader of the team either right now. Although, if I'm getting on anyone's back on that offense it's going to be the reigning MVP's back who nearly brought a Super Bowl victory back to Charlotte.
exactly, and is there any film of Cam pouting during the game with a towel on his head?

I sure didn't see any clips of Cam pouting until the game was decided.

Also remember fans said the Panthers would be worse off without Smith and look what they did this year without Smith AND Kelvin Benjamin!

What next? Bring back Delhomme!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune Massive View Post
Will be interesting how FA will affect this team....Charles Johnson is due $15 mil and is 30....Norman is a FA and I am sure will want a huge payday
I would let CJ go if possible or try to renegotiate his contract.

Ealy and Star balled out. Ealy was a freak in the SB.

Norman sounded like he may stay. I would pay the man or tag him.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Don't even argue with him. It's pointless. He points to a Ravens season destroyed by injuries, including one to smith himself. Smith is a warrior. I know one thing he would have dove for that ball.
you are free to use 2014 if needed. They didn't win a SB last year with Smith. Panthers never had back to back winning seasons with Smith his whole career.

So... nice try.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:58 AM

35 posts, read 11,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you are free to use 2014 if needed. They didn't win a SB last year with Smith. Panthers never had back to back winning seasons with Smith his whole career.

So... nice try.
I cannot believe, if you are a Panther fan, you will even remotely criticize Smith. He is arguably a HOF WR who has played with average, at best, QB s during his time in NC. The way they let him go is shameful. Word on the street is the reason he was cut loose was because him and Newton did not get along

Last edited by Neptune Massive; 02-11-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I cannot believe, if you are a Panther fan, you will even remotely criticize Smith. He is arguably a HOF WR who has played with average, at best, QB s during his time in NC. The way they let him go is shameful. Word on the street is the reason he was cut loose was because him and Newton did not get along
I'm a Steeler fan first and foremost. I like the Panthers and I agree Smith is a great player but this doesn't mean Smith was needed to win this SB this year.

Smith was a fiery competitor but he also stopped Cam from spreading the ball around and sucke punched a teammate and broke his jaw. Imagine if Cam sucker punched a player? Fans would probably burn his house down and try to get him banned from the NFL. lol

I definitely think they let Smith go because he dominated the locker room and I don't see how that was a bad move when you look at the chemistry of this team the last 2 years.

I never said Smith wasn't a beast.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 AM

35 posts, read 11,020 times
Quote:
I'm a Steeler fan first and foremost. I like the Panthers and I agree Smith is a great player but this doesn't mean Smith was needed to win this SB this year.

Smith was a fiery competitor but he also stopped Cam from spreading the ball around and sucke punched a teammate and broke his jaw. Imagine if Cam sucker punched a player? Fans would probably burn his house down and try to get him banned from the NFL. lol

I definitely think they let Smith go because he dominated the locker room and I don't see how that was a bad move when you look at the chemistry of this team the last 2 years.

I never said Smith wasn't a beast.
It would be foolish to say that having Smith would have automatically meant a win. Nobody knows that. On paper, yes, Smith would have given them a better option on the field. Even at his age, he was the best receiving option, other than Olsen, that Carolina would have had. Would it have been enough, who knows

I will disagree with your statement of he prevented Cam from spreading the ball....the QB determines where the ball goes. Don't know what you mean that Smith prevented that?

Last edited by Neptune Massive; 02-11-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM

436 posts, read 334,778 times
Quote:
exactly, and is there any film of Cam pouting during the game with a towel on his head?

I sure didn't see any clips of Cam pouting until the game was decided.

Also remember fans said the Panthers would be worse off without Smith and look what they did this year without Smith AND Kelvin Benjamin!

What next? Bring back Delhomme!!!

I believe that the Jake Delhomme/Smith team exceeded anything we have seen since. I don't even think that Benjamin was up to Smith's level. Delhomme and Smith were inspirational and were 100% about team and not self.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It would be foolish to say that having Smith would have automatically meant a win. Nobody knows that. On paper, yes, Smith would have given them a better option on the field. Even at his age, he was the best receiving option, other than Olsen, that Carolina would have had. Would it have been enough, who knows

I will disagree with your statement of he prevented Cam from spreading the ball....the QB determines where the ball goes. Don't know what you mean that Smith prevented that?
Sure he does.. but WR's like Smith our vocal in the huddle, vocal on the sideline and vocal in the locker room and it's "I'M OPEN, I'M OPEN, I'M OPEN"

Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I believe that the Jake Delhomme/Smith team exceeded anything we have seen since. I don't even think that Benjamin was up to Smith's level. Delhomme and Smith were inspirational and were 100% about team and not self.
Umm... there are plenty of clips of Smith telling the camera he is the greatest thing in the world. He never said we were great in those clips. It was always "I'm the best, they can't stop me, I'm awesome"

please understand there is nothing wrong with that IMO. I think the best WR's are selfish and think they are the best to ever play the game.

As far as exceeding expectations. When this season started and Kelvin went down 99% of the phone calls on radio said this team wouldn't make the playoffs.

Articles were written calling the Panthers the worst undefeated team in NFL history.

KB isn't on Smith's level because he only has one year under his belt. In one year he had 9 TD's, 1000+ yards and 73 receptions

His ceiling is higher and he was drafted #1 and he is huge. Smith played bigger than his size but Kelvin has the physical tools to be a great WR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or