U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,271,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I never said preseason games are a measure of a team's greatness. tread102 posted a link to an article ranking teams according to the toughness of their schedule. My point was that the article proves nothing about the Panthers' strength: Every game the Panthers played against any of those top five teams on that toughest schedule ranking, regardless of whether it was pre-season, post-season or regular season game, the Panthers always won. My next point was that a couple of those teams in the top five the Panthers never played this season, but the Cardinals and Seahawks did play them, and in every instance the Cardinals and Seahawks beat those teams. But then the Panthers turned around and beat the Cardinals and Seahawks every time the Panthers played them. I was being all-inclusive to show a 100% win record when all games are included. Take out the pre-season games doesn't change anything: it's still a 100% win record against those teams. So it's pretty lame to just jump on that point, which changes nothing in my premise.

Nobody knows the final outcome, obviously. We won't know until the Super Bowl is played. But tread102 keeps posting comments implying the Panthers' success is just a fluke. The links I posted were to a betting site and to a computer simulation site, both of which are predicting the Panthers will win the Super Bowl. Without a crystal ball, that's the best we've got. And all these naysayers like tread102, I'd like to see them put their money where their mouth is, like the people on that betting site. Put up some real money and bet on the Broncos. I dare him.
whoa whoa whoa easy cowboy. quote the post where I said fluke. never said it. Just said they aren't an all time great team. As for betting I think the panthers will win. Still don't think it makes them a great team. Denver isn't that great of a team. Great great defense, but a shell of an offense with a qb that has never played great in big games. I think they win by 7-10 points.

see your problem you are taking what I'm saying personal, like I'm slighting the panthers. I'm not. I'm just being rational, and not being a homer like most here.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:27 PM

11,810 posts, read 9,407,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I've argued with you for years. I was wrong about Cam being great. I didn't think he would win a superbowl. Pretty sure he will. He's made such progress since he broke into the league. If he continues to progress he might be one of the best ever.

that being said you love to overstate and stretch the facts. The panthers average margin of victory was 12 points, not 15. starting with week one they won by 11, 7, 5, 14, 4, 9, 3, 8, 17, 28, 19, 3, 38, 3, 18.

10 of their victories were wins where the winning margin was less than a two touchdown game. I only really see 5 blowouts on there. They are a great football team, not an all time great. People have way too short of a memory, and typical with everything charlotte we have to push for it to be the best ever. It's just simply not the case.
Lol.. 12 instead of 15 is twisting the facts?

amd how many games had garbage TD's once the game was out of hand?

You love to look at box scores but rarely watch the whole game. There were times when the game was over by the start of the 4th quarter and they stopped attacking.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:44 PM

5,905 posts, read 7,765,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
honestly, a lot of these folks don't watch a lot of football. and even fewer have great memories. the teams you mentioned you knew they were going to win. you knew how they were going to win. almost all had a defense that was almost impossible to score on. I think that's the biggest issue with the panthers they didnt have that great defense. It was opportunistic, but not great.
Eh I guess you could argue the definition of great, but the Panthers defense was pretty great, they just let up too much at the end of games which made their stats look worse (they learned not to do that on Sunday and look what happened). Despite giving up all those late points they were still 6th in both yards and points allowed.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:16 PM

4,824 posts, read 2,581,161 times
It would appear a few folks around here would benifit from a trip to Canton, Ohio to learn something about the history of the game.

The Panthers have had an outstanding one-off season but until they have a two or three year run with similar results and do so with largely the same players 'greatest' anything will have to wait.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:44 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,186,918 times
Carolina is the best team in football. There have been a lot of questions surrounding them even going into tonight, but this should put all critics to rest. This game was billed as the contest of the two best and Carolina was dominant at every level. Cam dominated. Our subpar receivers looked like the elite group Arizona was supposed to have. Our running game was good, our O-line was awesome, our special teams were good. Our front seven pressured Palmer all night. Our secondary that was supposed to get eaten alive by the outstanding cardinals receivers shredded those receivers with great coverages and tons of interceptions. We forced turnover after turnover...

We still have one more game to play, and I will never call a game before it begins because I believe any team in the NFL can beat any other team. But the Carolina Panthers are the most complete, most talented all around team in Pro football. If anyone still doubts that, then they aren't paying attention.

In the 20th year of the franchise the Panthers are going to Super Bowl 50 with 10 pro bowlers and the MVP of the league. Get pumped...This team is epic!!!!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 3,159,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
It would appear a few folks around here would benifit from a trip to Canton, Ohio to learn something about the history of the game.

The Panthers have had an outstanding one-off season but until they have a two or three year run with similar results and do so with largely the same players 'greatest' anything will have to wait.
Not really, seen most if not all of those games. It was much easier to have long runs given the state of the game back then, player/team loyalty was en vogue whereas free agency has changed that mindset to a certain degree. The other common factor is a solid QB and reason Patriots have had steady success the past 10+ years.

The Panthers had better defenses (and deeper) in 2013 and 2014 and offense would sputter at times with Cam evolving as a QB, and the OC coordinator evolving with Cam. Remember the original OC Chud left for Cleveland. I think the success realized this year could have happened last year but Cam got hurt and the team didn't get in the groove until late last year. So in a sense, the timing of Panthers success was off a bit and this could have been the 3rd year of a Superbowl contending team(s). And If you REALLY reflect back on some of those games, the Panthers would barely lose for a variety of reasons, poor decisions by a young head coach and staff, Cam trying to carry the load as a young QB (not checking down or throwing the ball away), didn't have full grasp of offense to audible out of plays based on defensive scheme.

And lastly, no where in the current Hall of Fame exist anything or any QB similar to Newton. The one-off ain't so much of a one-off because the defense has been Superbowl ready/worthy for 3 years and the cohesion on offense finally caught up while losing dynamic playmakers such as Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams.

Denver will be the ultimate test, that's one of the best D's I've seen in a while. It'll be troublesome for the offensive line, Cam's timing, etc. Like it or not, the past 3 years could have been Buffalo-esque type Supberbowl runs but more similar to recent Cincinnati-ish playoff runs. The difference in those teams and Panthers is Newton, the athletic tight end with a powerful arm whose become a pretty good QB....Canton in the making baring injury because I have seen it all, nothing like that dude. On his A game days, he would have destroyed some of those historic and ballyhooed defenses.

Lastly, regardless of outcome in the Superbowl the media, pundits and history buffs will never recognize Panthers as all time great team. First off, they weren't "supposed" to be this good this year, it's a small market team with pockets of success and just can't get over that arrogant-a$$ laptop stealing over zealous towel wearing QB. It's easy to see all the faults in Cam or sometimes wish he'd be more laid back or reserved with celebrations like many of the other QBs. But that's not him and maybe he realizes how short NFL careers are and how close he came to being a NOBODY given his past. I recently watched "Survive and Advance" about the '83 Wolfpack. Valvano was unconventional, players had fun and he soaked it all it in...now looking back, he didn't have the time he thought and knew moments like these are rare, enjoy it because no guarantee about next year.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-26-2016 at 03:33 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Lol.. 12 instead of 15 is twisting the facts?

amd how many games had garbage TD's once the game was out of hand?

You love to look at box scores but rarely watch the whole game. There were times when the game was over by the start of the 4th quarter and they stopped attacking.
boy some things never change with you. yes you twisted the facts. you said 15, and in the context that you said it. you made it sound like it could easily be higher, and that's what your writing implied. Now confronted with the facts, you want to claim I didn't watch the games. Just stick to your story, and when wrong say oops I was wrong.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:11 AM

211 posts, read 82,274 times
ESPN, on their NFL page, listed every franchises best team (according to ESPN)....good tidbits of info. The writer said, had the 2003 Panthers had won the SB, he would have listed that team ahead of this years Panthers team

Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Eh I guess you could argue the definition of great, but the Panthers defense was pretty great, they just let up too much at the end of games which made their stats look worse (they learned not to do that on Sunday and look what happened). Despite giving up all those late points they were still 6th in both yards and points allowed.
not the case go Phils. that's a great narrative, but needing a stop at the end of the game to win, because you gave up multiple scores down the stretch doesn't make you great. That happened in both New orleans games. The green bay game. The Indy game. The giants game, and in the Seattle game. they didn't even lead the league in scoring defense. They were 6th. They were also 6th in total defense. That's not great, and nobody outside of a Carolina fanboy is making an argument that this team is one of the greatest of all time.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:23 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,233,952 times
If they finish the deal, then yes.. they will be considered one of the greatest teams ever... 15-1 regular season and finish the run with a SB win! IMO, one of the greatest.. You can't smoke and mirror you way to a 18-1 SUPER BOWL season, you just can't!

But lets not get the cart before the horse, they must finish the deal before we start equating them with the greatest teams ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or