U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
boy some things never change with you. yes you twisted the facts. you said 15, and in the context that you said it. you made it sound like it could easily be higher, and that's what your writing implied. Now confronted with the facts, you want to claim I didn't watch the games. Just stick to your story, and when wrong say oops I was wrong.
haha... I have no problem admitting I was wrong about the average being 12 and not 15.

Their 12 point differential was #1 in the NFL this year.

and yes, it could definitely be higher. Panthers took their foot off the pedal late in games and sometimes it made games appear closer than they were. All you have to do is look at the games, half time stats and scoring to see this Panther team was dominating most opponents.

I know you need to be right about something so you look for any little "gotcha" stat but this team is 17-1 and just blew the 2nd best team in the NFL in scoring out by 30+ points.

They put up 31 on Seattle in the 1st half
They put up 24 on AZ in the 1st half
They put up 27 on GB in the 1st half

I definitely think they would have put up more points if they kept their foot on the pedal but that isn't how Rivera coaches the game.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 01-26-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 AM

211 posts, read 81,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Eh I guess you could argue the definition of great, but the Panthers defense was pretty great, they just let up too much at the end of games which made their stats look worse (they learned not to do that on Sunday and look what happened). Despite giving up all those late points they were still 6th in both yards and points allowed.
Again, people have different parameters for the word "great"....to often people live in the "latest must be the greatest"....there was talk a few years ago, when RB Johnson rushed for over 2000 yards and proclaimed him "ONE OF THE GREATEST RBS OF ALL TIME"!!!! He had a great SEASON, that doesn't anoint him as overall a GREAT player....big difference (IMO)

I think the Panther defense is a really good defense, this year....when I think of truly GREAT defenses, I think 60s Packer defenses, 69 Viking defense, STEEL CURTAIN of the 70s, DALLAS DOOMSDAY, 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, and the Seahawk defense of 3 yrs ago....just my opinion, the Panther defense is not on that level

Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 AM

5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Quote:
not the case go Phils. that's a great narrative, but needing a stop at the end of the game to win, because you gave up multiple scores down the stretch doesn't make you great. That happened in both New orleans games. The green bay game. The Indy game. The giants game, and in the Seattle game. they didn't even lead the league in scoring defense. They were 6th. They were also 6th in total defense. That's not great, and nobody outside of a Carolina fanboy is making an argument that this team is one of the greatest of all time.
They did lead the league in scoring offense though. That's what makes the Panthers so good, is that they are good to great in all phases. I doubt there were more than a couple teams ever that were #1 in both defense and offense. Earlier I think you mentioned the 2000 Ravens as one of the greatest teams? They had Trent Dilfer at QB, and were 14th in points scored. They also had 4 losses that year (where they scored 6 points or less in all of them), so they would not be ahead of the Panthers if they win.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,006,608 times
Greatest team ever? No. Not by a mile.

Greatest team this season? Yeah, I'll definitely say that. They obviously played well as a team and had fun doing it.

This is easily the best season ever for the Panthers. And congrats to them. But they would have to keep up the winning for a couple more seasons to be one of the best ever.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Greatest team ever? No. Not by a mile.

Greatest team this season? Yeah, I'll definitely say that. They obviously played well as a team and had fun doing it.

This is easily the best season ever for the Panthers. And congrats to them. But they would have to keep up the winning for a couple more seasons to be one of the best ever.
The discussion is if they would be one of the greatest single season teams ever. Multiple seasons are irrelevant.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:46 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,268,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
haha... I have no problem admitting I was wrong about the average being 12 and not 15.

Their 12 point differential was #1 in the NFL this year.
wrong again. they had the biggest point differential of 192, but 15 wins. arizona had 176 but only 13 victoires. Arizona's average was better.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,006,608 times
Well, the thread title says "greatest team ever", not limiting it to one season. I only skimmed the rest of the thread.

However, I didn't realize this was a Charlotte board thread and as such, Panthers fans are allowed to feel a bit more jubilant about their season. Normally, I wouldn't post on a specific fan thread such as this...I thought it was on the regular NFL board. My apologies.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:51 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,268,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
They did lead the league in scoring offense though. That's what makes the Panthers so good, is that they are good to great in all phases. I doubt there were more than a couple teams ever that were #1 in both defense and offense. Earlier I think you mentioned the 2000 Ravens as one of the greatest teams? They had Trent Dilfer at QB, and were 14th in points scored. They also had 4 losses that year (where they scored 6 points or less in all of them), so they would not be ahead of the Panthers if they win.
that Raven's defense is considered by many as the greatest defense of all time. If we were talking about the panthers offense being one of the greatest of all time, then you would have a point, but again outside of the biggest fan boys nobody is making that case. The offense nor the defense is in the argument of GOAT.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
not the case go Phils. that's a great narrative, but needing a stop at the end of the game to win, because you gave up multiple scores down the stretch doesn't make you great. That happened in both New orleans games. The green bay game. The Indy game. The giants game, and in the Seattle game. they didn't even lead the league in scoring defense. They were 6th. They were also 6th in total defense. That's not great, and nobody outside of a Carolina fanboy is making an argument that this team is one of the greatest of all time.
lol...their scoring offense was #1

it's definitely GREAT to be ranked 6th in scoring D when your offense is #1 in scoring.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
that Raven's defense is considered by many as the greatest defense of all time. If we were talking about the panthers offense being one of the greatest of all time, then you would have a point, but again outside of the biggest fan boys nobody is making that case. The offense nor the defense is in the argument of GOAT.
I don't think I ever said the Panthers offense or defense was one of the greatest of all time. But the bottom line is if they win the Super Bowl they will be one of the greatest (top 10) teams of all-time. Sure, they made some games more interesting than they needed to be, but they won all but one. The Falcons really weren't that bad, as they finished 8-8, and of course the Panthers dominated them just 2 weeks earlier. The Falcons played pretty much the best game they could possibly play, and won thanks to an amazing play by Julio Jones.

Yes, the Ravens defense could be one of the greatest (maybe the greatest) of all time, but their offense was mediocre to below average. No way in heck would I put a Ravens team with 4 losses where they scored 6 points or less above this Panthers team if they win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or