Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 08:51 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
A black mobile QB who can flip over defenders into the endzone and throw 40 yard lasers off his back foot...

A white LB who is in beast mode and has more pick 6's than any DB in the league this year.

A latino head coach who went from worst to first in record time.

Yeah... I think this team will be talked about in 20 to 30 years of they win the SB.

So you better cheer hard as hell for the Broncos...lol
It's amazing how you can inject race into any subject. Simply amazing.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:54 AM

211 posts, read 114,918 times
Quote:
A black mobile QB who can flip over defenders into the endzone and throw 40 yard lasers off his back foot...

A white LB who is in beast mode and has more pick 6's than any DB in the league this year.

A latino head coach who went from worst to first in record time.

Yeah... I think this team will be talked about in 20 to 30 years of they win the SB.

So you better cheer hard as hell for the Broncos...lol
I don't understand that....why can't he be just a good QB as opposed to a good "black" QB?
Is Kuechley a good linebacker or just a good "white" LB?
Is Rivera a good coach or just a good "Latino" coach?

Do you like Newton because he is black or because he is good?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
It's amazing how you can inject race into any subject. Simply amazing.
c'mon, if you don't think that information will be used in stories this week and in years to come IF they win the SB then you are fooling yourself.

it isnt a negative it's just the way the world works.

but I damn sure didn't think you guys would get angry or use it as a way to deflect from the topic.

I think it's a great example of winning with coaches and players from different backgrounds.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Hillbilly View Post
I don't understand that....why can't he be just a good QB as opposed to a good "black" QB?
Is Kuechley a good linebacker or just a good "white" LB?
Is Rivera a good coach or just a good "Latino" coach?

Do you like Newton because he is black or because he is good?
because it's America. They are all good but they are also black, white and latino.

Nothing wrong with it. its not like they are winning just because of their color but I'm talking about one of the reasons this team will be talked about in 20 to 30 years.

Mobile QB's rarely win SB's.

The NFL has no never had a Latino HC win a SB

Kueckly is simply amazing and lets be honest, he doesnt look like a throw back LB when he isn't in pads.

These make for great stories on NFL, ESPN, etc... and these are the places where people talk about teams from 20 to 30 years ago.

So I really don't see why anyone gets mad when having this discussion.

I'm talking reality not fantasy land where people claim to see no color.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times
Quote:
c'mon, if you don't think that information will be used in stories this week and in years to come IF they win the SB then you are fooling yourself.

it isnt a negative it's just the way the world works.

but I damn sure didn't think you guys would get angry or use it as a way to deflect from the topic.

I think it's a great example of winning with coaches and players from different backgrounds.
It's because any chance you get to use race as a subject you do. I'm sorry I don't think newton's race is that much of an issue. It wasn't when wilson won. It's not like Cam will be the first black qb to win the superbowl. As for rivera, unlike the black community that hispanics don't always point to their race, and again There's been minorities head coaches in the superbowl. I think this team is going to be judged on their efforts not their skin color. I'm pretty sure they would feel the same.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It's because any chance you get to use race as a subject you do. I'm sorry I don't think newton's race is that much of an issue. It wasn't when wilson won. It's not like Cam will be the first black qb to win the superbowl. As for rivera, unlike the black community that hispanics don't always point to their race, and again There's been minorities head coaches in the superbowl. I think this team is going to be judged on their efforts not their skin color. I'm pretty sure they would feel the same.
dude, stop trying to be dramatic about the topic. What do you mean "unlike the Black community.." do you really think ESPN and NFL network only talked about the first Black HC to win a SB was due to the Black Community?

lol, it's the media... they have 2 weeks to come up with as many stories as possible and some will touch on "the first HC to win a SB" because they love that stuff.

This has nothing to do with community. This has to do with the media finding anything to grab onto that has the words "first to ever... or youngest ever... or never been done before"

and Cam is different. He dances, he poses, he celebrates, he has fun and some people don't like it. But he is also a Heisman winner and nothing like we have ever seen before at the QB position.

you may not think Cam's race is an issue but there was a mother who hid behind her child and asked where his parents were or what they thought about his conduct in the field... there are people calling into radio stations saying his football giveaway is staged.

Hell, you don't want to admit it but when is the last time a QB has entered the league, broke multiple passing and rushing TD records his first 2 years and you STILL predicted him to be out of the league in 4 or 5 years?

Based on what? It certainly wasn't based on his play on the field.

Maybe it was blind hate but I seriously doubt if any other QB had Cam's stats those 2 years you would still predict failure from them.

When Aaron Rodgers poses and dances its cute, when JJ Watts or Clay Matthews poses or dances its passion for the game...

but when Cam does it its "OMG, he doesnt respect the game"

Now I agree, I bet those players and coaches don't care about it and would love to be judged on their game and not have race injected into the discussion but er are talking about discussions in 20 years and everyone has to admit the media who will have these conversations will use race, age, etc...

I'm sure you watch ESPN 30 for 30... stop acting like you don't know how this works.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 01-26-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
because it's America. They are all good but they are also black, white and latino.

Nothing wrong with it. its not like they are winning just because of their color but I'm talking about one of the reasons this team will be talked about in 20 to 30 years.

The NFL has no never had a Latino HC win a SB

Kueckly is simply amazing and lets be honest, he doesnt look like a throw back LB when he isn't in pads.

These make for great stories on NFL, ESPN, etc... and these are the places where people talk about teams from 20 to 30 years ago.

So I really don't see why anyone gets mad when having this discussion.

I'm talking reality not fantasy land where people claim to see no color.
So the double standard is raising its head....I don't know if you are a person of color (did I say that correctly or is that PC wrong? ) you are saying you as a black guy can say "Newton is a good black QB" and it's cool, because that's America and the way it is nowadays

If I, as a white guy, posts the following "I think Cam Newton is a really good black QB"....it would take all of 5 seconds for the sh*t to hit the fan...."RACIST! RACIST! Why can't he be a good QB, why don't you think he is as good as a white QB"

There may be a bit of a side story with Rivera being the first Latino HC in a SB.....as far as Newton being a black QB in the SB....been there, done that with Williams as the first, you had McNair, McNabb, Wilson ( speaking off top of my head, so may be missing one), so the black QB in the SB is a bit old

Last edited by Southeast Hillbilly; 01-26-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
They played a very easy schedule. Didn't set any records. You might personally rank them one of the greatest of all time, but even if they win the superbowl, this won't be a team that's talked about 20,30,40 years from now. Honestly if most in the carolinas feel this way panthers. I'm going to pull for the broncos.
They set a record for the most points scored in the NFC Championship game. Against a team that was even with the Patriots as the favorite to win the Super Bowl when the playoffs started. Cam also set a record for being the first QB ever with at least 30 passing TD's and 8 rushing TD's (finishing with 35 and 10). If they win the Super Bowl they'd be only the third 15-1 team to do so.

As far as the race thing, I agree you probably don't "need" to talk about it, but I think Felt's comment was more in response to why people would "talk about" the Panthers. Only 2 black QB's have won the Super Bowl. Another reason for being "talked about" is Cam is trying to be just the third Heisman winner to win the Super Bowl, and also trying to be just the third QB to win both the NCAA Championship and a Super Bowl. Rivera is also trying to be just the 4th head coach to win a Super Bowl that also won one as a player.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Let's clarify, because I will be more than happy to have a civil debate on this topic....there is a distinct difference between a "running" QB and a "mobile" QB.....a running QB has set plays where there were pre designed runs for them and those plays were an integral part of the offense....Vick, V Young, RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton were/are all "running" QBs (they are obviously mobile as well). On that point I will agree, the only "running" QB to ever win a SB was Wilson, to this point....Mobile QBs on the other hand has won their share of SBs....Staubach, Griese, Rodgers, Elway, Rothlisberger, S Young....all mobile QBs that won SBs

Last edited by Southeast Hillbilly; 01-26-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
They set a record for the most points scored in the NFC Championship game. Against a team that was even with the Patriots as the favorite to win the Super Bowl when the playoffs started. Cam also set a record for being the first QB ever with at least 30 passing TD's and 8 rushing TD's (finishing with 35 and 10). If they win the Super Bowl they'd be only the third 15-1 team to do so.

As far as the race thing, I agree you probably don't "need" to talk about it, but I think Felt's comment was more in response to why people would "talk about" the Panthers. Only 2 black QB's have won the Super Bowl. Another reason for being "talked about" is Cam is trying to be just the third Heisman winner to win the Super Bowl, and also trying to be just the third QB to win both the NCAA Championship and a Super Bowl. Rivera is also trying to be just the 4th head coach to win a Super Bowl that also won one as a player.
Thank you, you summed it up perfectly.

When they talk about teams years from now they use anything they can that will make for a great story and I think they will pull from these topics as well as all the stats, dominating playoff performances, etc.

but they have to win the SB or they will be just another good team who didn't seal the deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte