Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,429 times

Advertisements

I would like some idea about the average salary for a pharmacy technician in the area. Doesn't have to be exact, but at least a ballpark. Info from areas in south Charlotte/Fort Mill area would be appreciated. Although I would assume it would be about the same for most of the areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I would like some idea about the average salary for a pharmacy technician in the area. Doesn't have to be exact, but at least a ballpark. Info from areas in south Charlotte/Fort Mill area would be appreciated. Although I would assume it would be about the same for most of the areas.

Thanks!
Last time I knew it was in the $10-12 an hour ballpark.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 AM

429 posts, read 730,215 times
Loves Mountains is correct (as usual- LOL) the job board at one of the larger hospitals in the Charlotte area has the range from $12-$14, so I would count on techs starting at the lower end. It's a real battle to get the upper end pay, regardless of your experience, when starting out. Pay raises are not guaranteed, and even though you get a review after 90 days, a raise does not come with that review. A Pay raise can be given at your yearly evaluation and at the MOST would be 3%- 4%. This is just enough to cover the increase in your insurance cost for that year...Let me say, this is based on what's considered the community hospital in Charlotte, not the private hospital; I have heard the pay scale is a little higher over at the there.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
It would depend on if you're looking to work in a commercial pharmacy (e.g., Walgreens, CVS, etc.) or a hospital. The pay is more in a hospital.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 90,849 times
Also I would think it would make a big difference whether you were certified or not. I'm in Jersey and I have a friend who is a pharmacy tech who makes minimum wage because she's not certified.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromjersey View Post
Also I would think it would make a big difference whether you were certified or not. I'm in Jersey and I have a friend who is a pharmacy tech who makes minimum wage because she's not certified.
I believe in NC you HAVE to be certified to get a pharmacy tech job

Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It would depend on if you're looking to work in a commercial pharmacy (e.g., Walgreens, CVS, etc.) or a hospital. The pay is more in a hospital.
And the pay with an insurance company is always better than a hospital's.

Think out of the box...you may not have to work retail!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,429 times
According to the chart that I have it says:

North Carolina - State registers but does not license or certify.
South Carolina - State registers and certifies, but doesn't license.

Not sure what they mean by the state certifying, though. I should think that passing the PTCB would be good enough.

Basically here is my situation........I have a BS degree in Medical Technology with an ASCP certification. Unfortunately due to some chemical allergies that I developed, I can no longer work the bench in the lab. Managerial, sales or technical support would be fine. I also have 10 years technical and sales support and some regular sales experience as well. But I have found out no matter how good you were at your job (Fortune 10 company and top of my field), if you are older (I'm 55 now) and have been away from it for a bit (due to back surgery and recovery and then not being able to find anything), no one is interested no matter how well you can do the job. I contacted two different firms down there about jobs they had advertised and never heard anything from either of them. And I felt I was more than qualified and capable to do either job.

Anyway, I had thoughts of taking an online PhT course, which because of my background I could do in a month or so, and then taking the PTCB boards, so I would be certified by a national agency. We are closing on our home in Sun City Carolina Lakes in March and if I could find a job down there, I would move down earlier than we planned and hubby would stay up here until he could find something down there as well. I don't need a huge salary, but it would be nice to have something at least to take care of my basic living costs. But at $10/hour I'm not sure that would work. I would love to find something to get back into field technical support and training, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM

209 posts, read 612,930 times
Any idea where to get the training or to get certified?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,335 times
Wow, $12-14/hr is it?

Sorry, just thought a pharmacy tech would be making more than a meat clerk at the grocery store...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte