U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 AM
 
50 posts, read 199,986 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

So what is the plan for spring with the drought and all?

I have a fescue lawn established from seed three years ago. After a few years of fall aeration and reseeds, good watering practices and proper fertilization my lawn was turning our pretty well last spring/early summer.

Then the drought hit. I stopped watering in early August and let the grass go dormant as usual not expecting the drought to be so intense. I skipped the aerate and reseed because of the water restrictions.

Now that early spring is on the horizon, what should I do? Will preemergent harm any grass that is currently dormant? Should I aerate and reseed in February and hope for rain? Should I dormant seed? Should I just leave it alone and try to recover in the fall?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
So what is the plan for spring with the drought and all?

I have a fescue lawn established from seed three years ago. After a few years of fall aeration and reseeds, good watering practices and proper fertilization my lawn was turning our pretty well last spring/early summer.

Then the drought hit. I stopped watering in early August and let the grass go dormant as usual not expecting the drought to be so intense. I skipped the aerate and reseed because of the water restrictions.

Now that early spring is on the horizon, what should I do? Will preemergent harm any grass that is currently dormant? Should I aerate and reseed in February and hope for rain? Should I dormant seed? Should I just leave it alone and try to recover in the fall?

What do you think?
We are in the same situation and trying to decide what to do. I hope someone else will advise what they are planning to do. We have not decided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,669,212 times
Reputation: 3695
I am planning to prepare and maintain my lawn (fertilize/aerate) the same as if there weren't any water restrictions.

The drought last year was extremely bad. I know the climate starts to dry out going into late April, but I'm probably going to cheat and start a little earlier this year.

I'll take my chances, but I feel its better than "doing nothing" and letting my lawn look like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Reputation: 22373
Jack, I am in S. CLT and I think our area is still under water restrictions so I don't know what to do. ???? Just go through the motions and hope for rain? I guess we can prepare the soil and then wait for a rain forecast and spread the seed and hope for good timing. Otherwise, I will just be feeding the birds an expensive meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,669,212 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Jack, I am in S. CLT and I think our area is still under water restrictions so I don't know what to do. ???? Just go through the motions and hope for rain? I guess we can prepare the soil and then wait for a rain forecast and spread the seed and hope for good timing. Otherwise, I will just be feeding the birds an expensive meal.
I'm not fully understanding you. Do you have "patches" that you need to fill in or are your redoing the whole lawn?

I have some patches that I need to fill in (overall my lawn isn't that bad). I will add some topsoil, add the seed, put on a starter fertilizer (and cover w/straw), finally hand water daily until those patches get established. Its going to be a pain at first, but I will at least have a full lawn. The balance of the lawn I will maintain as I normally do (aerate/fertilize/lime) on a schedule.

If you have seed down w/straw, a good 2-3 day soaking in the spring will get them going....we just need some luck and keep our fingers crossed for a wetter than normal early spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
 
3,325 posts, read 4,542,345 times
Reputation: 1541
I highly recommend you call George Rubin at Premiere Turf Services in Tega Cay. He helps you help your lawn. He knows his stuff and is always available to answer questions. He drops off all the stuff you will need for the season so you can do it yourself. He takes samples of your lawn and tests them to determine the right types of seeds and fertilizers. He was recommended to me by a coworker and I haven't been disappointed. He guided me through the drought and once we were allowed to water one time a week last fall, my lawn made a huge comeback. His advice has been dead-on since I got rid of Chem-Lawn. He is also quite inexpensive in my opinion especially since he comes to your house and drops everything off for you.

I have no personal relationship with him at all. I just like to get business to people who do great work and take the time to "check in" with you. The one thing I learned from him is that fescue really doesn't need as much water as people think. We all probably over-water our lawns anyway and that actually creates problems.

Premiere Turf Services, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm not fully understanding you. Do you have "patches" that you need to fill in or are your redoing the whole lawn?

I have some patches that I need to fill in (overall my lawn isn't that bad). I will add some topsoil, add the seed, put on a starter fertilizer (and cover w/straw), finally hand water daily until those patches get established. Its going to be a pain at first, but I will at least have a full lawn. The balance of the lawn I will maintain as I normally do (aerate/fertilize/lime) on a schedule.

If you have seed down w/straw, a good 2-3 day soaking in the spring will get them going....we just need some luck and keep our fingers crossed for a wetter than normal early spring.
We have patches in front and back - and two bare areas of maybe 3 x 10 or so feet up at the front of the law at street, but DH thinks we need to just till and re-seed the whole thing. I think not. Actually, I am thinking about giving up on the street and just spreading more pine needles (we have a tree up there w/ pine needles around it now).

I think your method of filling in w/ topsoil and seed and covering w/ straw may be our best option, too. Yes, that will be a pain . . . but we are going to have a really ugly mess if we don't do something and I am loathe to rent a tiller and re-seed the whole thing . . . guess I could get some estimates from a lawn service to see how much they would charge but I am sure that would come at a premium price.

Thanks for sharing the info. Maybe we will be fortunate and get some good rains so we can have a green (not brown) lawn this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,669,212 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I highly recommend you call George Rubin at Premiere Turf Services in Tega Cay. He helps you help your lawn. He knows his stuff and is always available to answer questions. He drops off all the stuff you will need for the season so you can do it yourself. He takes samples of your lawn and tests them to determine the right types of seeds and fertilizers. He was recommended to me by a coworker and I haven't been disappointed. He guided me through the drought and once we were allowed to water one time a week last fall, my lawn made a huge comeback. His advice has been dead-on since I got rid of Chem-Lawn. He is also quite inexpensive in my opinion especially since he comes to your house and drops everything off for you.

I have no personal relationship with him at all. I just like to get business to people who do great work and take the time to "check in" with you. The one thing I learned from him is that fescue really doesn't need as much water as people think. We all probably over-water our lawns anyway and that actually creates problems.

Premiere Turf Services, Inc.
I appreciate that, but you can either do it yourself or pay someone to do it.

I love to work on my lawn. Money is tight, so I bought the $4.00 soil test kit from wal-mart and understand how to care for my lawn after asking tons of questions and doing extensive research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,669,212 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have patches in front and back - and two bare areas of maybe 3 x 10 or so feet up at the front of the law at street, but DH thinks we need to just till and re-seed the whole thing. I think not. Actually, I am thinking about giving up on the street and just spreading more pine needles (we have a tree up there w/ pine needles around it now).

I think your method of filling in w/ topsoil and seed and covering w/ straw may be our best option, too. Yes, that will be a pain . . . but we are going to have a really ugly mess if we don't do something and I am loathe to rent a tiller and re-seed the whole thing . . . guess I could get some estimates from a lawn service to see how much they would charge but I am sure that would come at a premium price.

Thanks for sharing the info. Maybe we will be fortunate and get some good rains so we can have a green (not brown) lawn this year.
If you have an area or two of 3x10 "brown patches", it wouldn't be too difficult to revitilize that. And youre correct, you don't need to rip up the whole lawn.

I would just prepare it like you would a new lawn. Get yourself some good topsoil to add to the clay. Rake it up well, loosen the soil, and sprinkle some seed down. Rake lightly (covering the seed). Add some starter fertilizer per the recommendations. Water well and cover the area w/straw.

The key will be to keep the area moist and to not let anyone walk on it..LOL

If we have good rains, then mother nature will take care of it for you. If not, you'll have to go out daily w/a watering can and do it yourself....

I love seeing new fescue germinating and filling in bare patches...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I highly recommend you call George Rubin at Premiere Turf Services in Tega Cay. He helps you help your lawn. He knows his stuff and is always available to answer questions. He drops off all the stuff you will need for the season so you can do it yourself. He takes samples of your lawn and tests them to determine the right types of seeds and fertilizers. He was recommended to me by a coworker and I haven't been disappointed. He guided me through the drought and once we were allowed to water one time a week last fall, my lawn made a huge comeback. His advice has been dead-on since I got rid of Chem-Lawn. He is also quite inexpensive in my opinion especially since he comes to your house and drops everything off for you.

I have no personal relationship with him at all. I just like to get business to people who do great work and take the time to "check in" with you. The one thing I learned from him is that fescue really doesn't need as much water as people think. We all probably over-water our lawns anyway and that actually creates problems.

Premiere Turf Services, Inc.
Thank you, Roc! Nice to have a resource in case we need to go that route. Appreciate your taking the time to pass this along . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top