U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 AM

57 posts, read 203,165 times
Default Can you help me identify this spider?

Hi all -
We found this spider in our house today. It's the 4th one we found since we moved into our house 3 months ago. I just want to make sure it's not something that's going to bite the kids when they are sleeping or anything.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Can you help me identify this spider?-img_4048a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 AM

3,173 posts, read 5,562,703 times
Looks like a run-of-the-mill Brown Recluse Spider to me:

Brown recluse spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 AM

34,510 posts, read 39,992,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingNY View Post
Hi all -
We found this spider in our house today. It's the 4th one we found since we moved into our house 3 months ago. I just want to make sure it's not something that's going to bite the kids when they are sleeping or anything.

Thanks!
I blew this up and tried to get a close look. Also, tried to estimate size. Brown recluses are small. Check out SuperK's link well as this article does describe the distinguishing differences b/n brown recluse spiders and other harmless spiders. At first glance, tho, it does look suspiciously like a brown recluse.

Yes, you have reason for concern. However, these spiders typically are quite shy and hide in dark areas, i.e. closets (shoes and boots!), laundry rooms, basements, cellars, garages, etc. Not so likely to be in the interior of your house, but I have encountered them in old, dark closets.

My recommendation is to call an exterminator and let him/her explore your property. They will know what is the best method of exterminating any spiders.

Meanwhile, shake out shoes and boots b/f putting them on. Also, I found one on a garden glove in my garage once, so since then, I never put on a garden glove w/o turning it inside out and checking it b/f putting it on.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 AM

Here's a better picture. I don't think it's a brown recluse. This one is a bit more mottled in coler. Sort of a black/brown coloring. It runs very fast across the ground. I have seen them outside in my driveway and grass.

It could be a wolf spider, but I'm not sure.

Good suggestion. I'll stop by the exterminator's office and see what he thinks it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you help me identify this spider?-img_4057.jpg  

Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM

34,510 posts, read 39,992,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingNY View Post
Here's a better picture. I don't think it's a brown recluse. This one is a bit more mottled in coler. Sort of a black/brown coloring. It runs very fast across the ground. I have seen them outside in my driveway and grass.

It could be a wolf spider, but I'm not sure.

Good suggestion. I'll stop by the exterminator's office and see what he thinks it is.
This picture in the glass - the proportion - makes the spider look too big to be a brown recluse. And not likely at all you would ever see a brown recluse scurrying outside!!!! If indeed, those are the same spiders you see outside . . . and based on the size of the one in the glass . . . I doubt this is a brown recluse. Brown recluses are truly shy and typically under an inch.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 35,093 times
It certainly doesn't look nice to me. I would definitely try to exterminate anything like that for the sake of kids.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 AM

Here's a link that has photos of exactly what it looks like. Scroll down the 5 photos dated "30 September, 2007"

Spiderzrule

Apparently their bite is poisonous but not lethal.

Needless to say, I have already called the exterminator and have him coming out on Tuesday.

Yuck!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

876 posts, read 2,578,637 times
pest control FTW!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM

5,658 posts, read 17,376,149 times
I'd take it by your county's Cooperative Extension Office for identification assistance.

North Carolina Cooperative Extension: County Centers

Last edited by mm34b; 02-08-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 AM

712 posts, read 1,267,971 times
Hard to see from the pic, but it looks like a wolf spider or a grass spider. I know there are some other threads here about them so you may want to do a forum search.

You can tell the difference between them and a brown recluse a couple of ways. First, like other people have said, the recluse is just that: a recluse. You don't generall see them scuttling around. You see them if you disturb where they're hiding or stick your extremities in dark places without looking first.

Second, the brown recluse has a fiddle-shaped marking on its back. It's pretty distinctive if you can get that close to it to look. Click here to see what that looks like, if you can stand icky spider pics.

Also, the recluse is not that fast. On the other hand, the wolf spider is FAST! I don't think I've ever seen any insect other than a cockroach move that fast. By nature of it's being, the wolf spider needs to be fast: it does not build a web to trap its prey. It hunts it down. Hence the name "wolf" spider.

Wolf spiders are actually good to have around because they eat some of the more bothersome insects like termites and cockroaches. I've found more than I want to in my new house so far, but I'm trying to come up with an active plan to just keep them out rather than exterminate them. (Also, I don't like to put a lot of chemicals around my family and pets...)

They bite, but usually only if provoked. I would get any spider bite checked out by a doctor of course. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte