Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

Oddly, they do not own the majority of the lots now. Several people have done the math and we all agree that the owners should be in charge of the HOA. I'm not trying to argue about it here. Please don't take it that way. Each situation is unique.

Why did I buy into an HOA neighborhood? It's a small enough neighborhood that we shouldn't experience the same problems as a larger neighborhood. Most everyone here knows everyone else. Meeting g at the bus stop in the morning to Halloween parties and other events, we are a pretty social bunch. I hope we can remain civil once we gain control.

Again, my issues with the HOA in the developer and builder's hands is that I've been one of the people trying to hold their feet to the fire between promised amenities and quality issues. It's safe to say I've not made friends of the builder or developer. My fear is the builder will attempt to block my projects in any way they can, assuming the wrong person is on the ARC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
Risky ???

1. Heavy fines.

2. A lien on your home.

3. Removal of the deck by the HOA.

4. Read your CC&R's !!!

Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times
So much for owning your own home...never heard of an HOA until I came down here.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:11 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
So much for owning your own home...never heard of an HOA until I came down here.
There are plenty of neighborhoods with no HOAs.

But if you move to one, you might end up with a neighbor who likes two tone shutters, lime green trim, chain link fence with the obligatory endlessly barking pit bull, and a big BUD (6+ft satellite dish) installed on the roof.

Check out the neighborhoods off Amity Place if you want example. (once a very nice middle class neighborhood)

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 02-03-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 04:13 PM

436 posts, read 446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Most new communities in the U.S. have HOAs in all areas. It is no different "down here." Most communities in the future will have HOAs too. It makes homeowners responsible for things that towns and cities don't wish to bother with, i.e. putting in and maintaining roads, light, etc.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Most new communities in the U.S. have HOAs in all areas. It is no different "down here." Most communities in the future will have HOAs too. It makes homeowners responsible for things that towns and cities don't wish to bother with, i.e. putting in and maintaining roads, light, etc.
HOA's are the local politicians way to say you are not being controlled by Govt. So now the first layer of govt. is your community, HOA dues should be deductible from local, county and state taxes..

Old 02-04-2016, 12:45 PM

436 posts, read 446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
HOA's are the local politicians way to say you are not being controlled by Govt. So now the first layer of govt. is your community, HOA dues should be deductible from local, county and state taxes..
I don't know what you feel about HOAs, but here is what I feel. I live in a diverse neighborhood. Many of the neighbors are Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Cuban, and from other countries. Many move here without understanding that it is not acceptable to use a blanket as window decorations, cars aren't parked on lawns, trash isn't thrown in yards or beside the roads, loud music isn't acceptable after 10:00, commercial trucks aren't allowed in our limited parking for residents, and unsightly things aren't stored outside of the house. These are common sense restrictions that are limited to HOA areas. Our neighbors are very nice and I have had to confront a couple of them and explain what shouldn't be done. There are no problems from the overseas people.

In a non-HOA community, one can be stuck next door to a person that is a nightmare. In a HOA community, a person that is potentially a nightmare, can be in violation of the CC and Rs and ruled as a nuisance. If the problem continues, fines and liens can be levied. In short, the HOA will generally keep the value of you home up. I am glad that I live in one and it is certainly worth $100 a month for full lawn care, and to live in a clean, neat, place.

I know that sometimes an HOA can stink, but they can be replaced as members either volunteer due to lack of interest or they are elected. So, things are not unchangeable. You are probably right with the first layer of government statement. But, I am liking the HOA system more and more. Being on the board is a pain in the ass. But, nobody wants the job. We have a good management company that works with us, but they work for us. We are always ready to listen to the community and welcome their suggestions and involvement. I get tired of doing most of the HOA work. That is my complaint. But at least I'm good at it I think. Others may disagree.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 PM

164 posts, read 188,528 times
Agree with Richard 100%. The very minor problems that you might have with an HOA are more than made up for by the protections to your property value. No need to worry about a car on blocks in the yard next door, un-mowed lawns, purple paint jobs, couches on the front porch, etc., etc.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:51 AM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
I moved to Davidson to get away from HOAs. Interestingly everyone takes care of their homes, garbage cans get put away, its almost like if you treat people like adults they act like adults!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte