Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:46 AM

7 posts, read 4,506 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Shore Points area of NJ and I'm considering the job relocation offer in Charlotte which may happen in the next 6-8mos. I work as a network engineer for a service provider. My wife works in a call center, but has background in retail as Sales Associate. I have a son who is in junior high (16yo) and a 11yo daughter in middle school and so great public school is a must and a safe place for them.. Preferrably close to a good hospital or must have a good 911-response (due to allergic reactions). 15-30 min ride to malls, restaurants, etc is ok. My budget for buying a house is only up to 165K for 3+BR/2+BA. Is this a wishful thinking or doable? I have seen properties in Indian Trail, Stallings, Mooresville, and Huntersville area, but I'm concerned about the conflicting (safety) data that I've seen from neighborhoodscout.com.

I'm hoping that thru this thread I'll get the best inputs from real people (with living experiences). Also, I prefer quiet neighborhood and since NC is an open-carry gun policy, I'm interested in a place where people don't just shoot in their backyards.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by masterdeeno; 02-01-2016 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdeeno View Post
I currently live in the Shore Points area of NJ and I'm considering the job relocation offer in Charlotte which may happen in the next 6-8mos. I work as a network engineer for a service provider. My wife works in a call center, but has background in retail as Sales Associate. I have a son who is in junior high (16yo) and a 11yo daughter in middle school and so great public school is a must and a safe place for them.. Preferrably close to a good hospital or must have a good 911-response (due to allergic reactions). 15-30 min ride to malls, restaurants, etc is ok. My budget for buying a house is only up to 165K for 3+BR/2+BA. Is this a wishful thinking or doable? I have seen properties in Indian Trail, Stallings, Mooresville, and Huntersville area, but I'm concerned about the conflicting (safety) data that I've seen from neighborhoodscout.com.

I'm hoping that thru this thread I'll get the best inputs from real people (with living experiences). Also, I prefer quiet neighborhood and since NC is an open-carry gun policy, I'm interested in a place where people don't just shoot in their backyards.

Thank you in advance.

Good grief.... Please educate yourself, unless you like to insult people.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Where would the job be l located? Charlotte? A nearby town? Without that information you could be steered to a location that would give you a hellish commute.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,436 times
You could look in Unionville, Indian Trail or Monroe. Certain parts of Monroe, I would steer clear of, but there are some nicer ones. 28110, 28079. There is a hospital in Monroe, CMC Union. It is a bit more rural, but it's not all farm land. There are quite a few neighborhoods, subdivisions, you may be able to find something in your price range. Schools are good here, except for the Monroe schools. We are about 30 minutes to the Carolina Place mall in Pineville, there is a smaller mall in Monroe, we are close to shopping and dining. It is a very good location. If I can help you any further, please ask. I have lived here 8 years. There areas are going to be about 45 minutes to an hour drive into the deeper parts of Charlotte, depending on where you are working.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Also, I prefer quiet neighborhood and since NC is an open-carry gun policy, I'm interested in a place where people don't just shoot in their backyards.
It's not a general thing, but you might want avoid living near this neighborhood. There is a doctor who has been shooting machine guns on his property. Qoute "Dr. Michael Land fires machine guns at his shooting range on Bloomsberry Lane in Wesley Chapel. It's right behind a subdivision, the Villages at Stonegate."

Machine gun doctor heads to court on firing range debate | www.wsoctv.com

Old 02-01-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Good grief.... Please educate yourself, unless you like to insult people.
I apologize. I didn't intend to insult.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Where would the job be l located? Charlotte? A nearby town? Without that information you could be steered to a location that would give you a hellish commute.
Job is in Charlotte. Close to the University (Northeastern?)
I've read that traffic from Huntersville is a mess, but I'd consider it if it's within 60-min one-way travel.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnative1960 View Post
$165,000 is a low budget for Charlotte. I'm surprised you found anything in Huntersville or Mooresville for that price. Do you know where your job will be located? The Charlotte area is very spread out and you don't want to have a long commute.
I'm not looking for a new construction. As long as it's livable, I think I can manage. Job is in Charlotte, but I'm wiling to travel up to an hour (one way).

Old 02-01-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
You could look in Unionville, Indian Trail or Monroe. Certain parts of Monroe, I would steer clear of, but there are some nicer ones. 28110, 28079. There is a hospital in Monroe, CMC Union. It is a bit more rural, but it's not all farm land. There are quite a few neighborhoods, subdivisions, you may be able to find something in your price range. Schools are good here, except for the Monroe schools. We are about 30 minutes to the Carolina Place mall in Pineville, there is a smaller mall in Monroe, we are close to shopping and dining. It is a very good location. If I can help you any further, please ask. I have lived here 8 years. There areas are going to be about 45 minutes to an hour drive into the deeper parts of Charlotte, depending on where you are working.
Thank you for the inputs. 45-60mins is acceptable as I've done it before. Currently, I'm working from home so I'm pretty sure I'd just have to get used to it again. Re: Monroe, which part should I stay away from? Is it a huge block/property zone, that it would be best not to waste time considering it? I am also planning to travel with the family during spring break in March just to get the feel of the cities/towns that we're scouting.

Last edited by masterdeeno; 02-01-2016 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-01-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It's not a general thing, but you might want avoid living near this neighborhood. There is a doctor who has been shooting machine guns on his property. Qoute "Dr. Michael Land fires machine guns at his shooting range on Bloomsberry Lane in Wesley Chapel. It's right behind a subdivision, the Villages at Stonegate."

Machine gun doctor heads to court on firing range debate | www.wsoctv.com
Thanks for sharing this story. I've heard from other forums/reviews that this is expected when you live in NC. I'm very glad that you confirmed it is not a general thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte