Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
Example: I drove to North Lake Mall and saw someone breaking in a car, I decided to get out of there. Now my opinion of the area is maybe different from someone who didn't see something like that. Do I have pull up crime reports to prove my opinon of the area is what I think? No! It's just my opinion of the area.
And that's fine; you can't take anyone's experience away from them. But to take one anecdote and arrive at the conclusion that the sky is falling over Northlake is a different matter altogether and that's where verified, objective data comes has a very relevant place in the discussion.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
If you would have told us a long time ago that you didn't understand the difference between facts and opinions we could have saved a lot of time arguing.

Try this practice out and get back to me.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
Yes, Your Opinion Can Be Wrong | Houston Press

You can have an opinion and be wrong. It happens a lot on here.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Yes, Your Opinion Can Be Wrong | Houston Press

You can have an opinion and be wrong. It happens a lot on here.

More accurately, a "wrong" opinion is better described as an uninformed or unpopular belief. The use of examples in the article (not the examples themselves) are bit idiotic and (in the case of the Holocaust) deliberately inflammatory to prove the author's point.

One is a proposition not based upon substantiated information or empirical evidence (opinion). The other is a proposition whose basis is known through experience, proven observation or empirical evidence. (fact).

An opinion may be considered "correct" only if it is represented, proposed, or argued as something that is known and substantiated through observation or experience and supporting empirical evidence is offered in support. (e.g., Man landed on the moon. We have proof in the form of photos of the moon, rocks atypical of those found on earth were brought back, and the reported experiences of respected authorities-- the astronauts themselves).

An opinion may be neither right nor wrong if it cannot be supported or refuted by widespread experience and/or empirical evidence. (e.g. There is no afterlife. Very few people have been pronounced clinically dead [qv] for more than a month and have returned to tell about).

An expressed observation (opinion) based upon limited knowledge and experience is just an opinion. (e.g., Davidson is a creepy place. There's a statue of a bum lying on a public bench).

Declaring an opinion or belief as "wrong" or "right" is disturbingly Stalinesque but is (unfortunately) increasingly common in a society very infatuated with political "correctness" (a term coined by Joe Stalin himself).

Old 02-10-2016, 07:01 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
More accurately, a "wrong" opinion is better described as an uninformed or unpopular belief. The use of examples in the article (not the examples themselves) are bit idiotic and (in the case of the Holocaust) deliberately inflammatory to prove the author's point.

One is a proposition not based upon substantiated information or empirical evidence (opinion). The other is a proposition whose basis is known through experience, proven observation or empirical evidence. (fact).

An opinion may be considered "correct" only if it is represented, proposed, or argued as something that is known and substantiated through observation or experience and supporting empirical evidence is offered in support. (e.g., Man landed on the moon. We have proof in the form of photos of the moon, rocks atypical of those found on earth were brought back, and the reported experiences of respected authorities-- the astronauts themselves).

An opinion may be neither right nor wrong if it cannot be supported or refuted by widespread experience and/or empirical evidence. (e.g. There is no afterlife. Very few people have been pronounced clinically dead [qv] for more than a month and have returned to tell about).

An expressed observation (opinion) based upon limited knowledge and experience is just an opinion. (e.g., Davidson is a creepy place. There's a statue of a bum lying on a public bench).

Declaring an opinion or belief as "wrong" or "right" is disturbingly Stalinesque but is (unfortunately) increasingly common in a society very infatuated with political "correctness" (a term coined by Joe Stalin himself).
Lol. y'all are crazy and don't seem to actually realize it. Too funny and excellent research. When it comes to an opinion I think Occam's Razor is applicable (complex thought is unnecessary) with reference to an old adage, "Opinions are like aholes, everybody has one"...most times bias, useless and meaningless.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,785 times
Big A:

And I thought that you were educated. Occam's Razor doesn't even apply. If you paid attention during your philosophy class, you'd know that it means that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. That mindset might have worked in the 13th through the early 19th century, but in today's VERY complicated world, it doesn't apply.

In your case, well... maybe it does. Simple is as simple does. (I'll never understand how some people survive totally unencumbered by the thought process).

PS I didn't do any research. I paid attention in class and learned deductive reasoning. During the early part of my BA studies, I considered law as a profession.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Big A:

And I thought that you were educated. Occam's Razor doesn't even apply. If you paid attention during your philosophy class, you'd know that it means that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. That mindset might have worked in the 13th through the early 19th century, but in today's VERY complicated world, it doesn't apply.

In your case, well... maybe it does. Simple is as simple does. (I'll never understand how some people survive totally unencumbered by the thought process).

PS I didn't do any research. I paid attention in class and learned deductive reasoning. During the early part of my BA studies, I considered law as a profession.
I always know when I gotcha, you start the response with Big A:...lol. Occam's Razor is indeed applicable in this case, instead of a long drawn out nonsensical response in your last post, the simple answer or easiest solution is "Opinions are like aholes, everyone has one". Opinions are most times useless and tainted with bias but certainly welcomed.

Oh, I agree, data and relevant information that folks can use to make a well vetted assessment is a better approach to reach a conclusion. I'm a bit edumacated too, well beyond a MS.

In a nutshell, if people can provide information about loss of revenue and other negative impacts due to the "high" crime at Northlake Mall, so be it. I'm onboard, the place is in trouble and other remedies should be implemented aside from what's already being done. However, because certain people or a group of people tend to scare or have diversity-phobia and have formed a premise (deductive reasoning) that the mall is spiraling downward is illogical (deductive reasoning and Mr. Spock). I abhorred philosophy and all liberal art related studies, however a necessary evil to appease those in the ivory tower that signed and awarded degrees.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 AM

436 posts, read 446,145 times
Or, if one has half a brain, they can simply go to the mall after 6:00 PM and judge for themselves. All the senseless debates between fact and opinion is relative. Ask those that live in the area about safety and make your own judgement.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:45 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Or, if one has half a brain, they can simply go to the mall after 6:00 PM and judge for themselves. All the senseless debates between fact and opinion is relative. Ask those that live in the area about safety and make your own judgement.
So you think if you go to the mall after 6:00 PM you will either witness or be a victim of crime? LOL, even if the crime really was "bad" it's not like it happens all the time in all areas of the mall when it's dark out.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM

436 posts, read 446,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you think if you go to the mall after 6:00 PM you will either witness or be a victim of crime? LOL, even if the crime really was "bad" it's not like it happens all the time in all areas of the mall when it's dark out.

What is LOL is you're attempt to interpret what I said. You aren't even close. I am simply saying that if one has good common street sense, he/she can walk around the mall, observe the people, appearances, their behaviors, parking lot activities, as well as the security and make up their own minds. Sometimes instincts are the best deciding factor. This is better than reading statistics or listening to people on this board with their philosophies. They can then ascertain a general idea of whether they think it is a safe place or not. Because of the history of issues with teens, it is required that anyone over 18 be accompanied by a adult at certain times. I suppose it could be worse if this rule hadn't been implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte