Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:50 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the area for almost four years, and i've often wondered what draws people away to Charlotte's suburbs.

Employment centers are largely in Charlotte, and shopping options are more plentiful in Charlotte, than they are in most suburbs. Charlotte enjoys more in the way of dining options, and of the quality of Charlotte's healthcare is the best in the region.

Charlotte also enjoys excellent park systems, and greenways.

So why would someone want to lengthen their commute; limit their dining options; forego an excellent park system, a public library system that's also best in the area; quality healthcare?

Schools, crime, and property taxes.

The property tax issue is largely mitigated, when you consider the lower cost of car insurance in NC (over SC), and lower cost of utilities, which leaves the matters of schools and crime.

The City spends tens of millions of dollars on projects of all kinds, and there are planning committee's that seek to grow the City.

One must wonder why the City has done little to retain the residents who contribute heavily to it's tax base?

It boggles the mind that the City is oblivious, and quite comfortable, to see Fort Mill, Weddington, Indian Land, etc., grow, at the expense of the well being to the City. For the residents that the City loses, are those who contribute heavily, while using few services.

I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 AM

261 posts, read 380,053 times
Well, its not like Charlotte is shrinking. Its a growing city. Not everyone who moves to "Charlotte" wants to live in Charlotte, and thats ok. The same dynamic happens in many other fast growing metro areas.

And some of your points don't hold water. Parks and libraries are county functions, so they are equally available to residents of Mathews, Huntersville, Cornelius, etc. Not mention that non Mecklenburg residents can access many of those amenities as well.

What Charlotte needs to do is institute a non-resident income tax, and use the money to beef up schools and police. That way, the non-residents who draw a benefit from the city can contribute to the city's well being. It would have the additional benefit of enticing some people back into the city. Of course, our current general assembly would never allow that to happen.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times
That pretty much how almost all cities work. There are people who prefer to live in suburban areas for various reasons and would still prefer it regardless of how school, crime, etc. are. Not everyone prefers urban living.

Fortunately Charlotte was able to greatly expand its city limits when the state still had liberal annexation policies and it didn't end up a tiny, poor core city surrounded by rich suburbs like some other metros.

I think we'll have to revisit this conversation when/if Charlotte stops growing. As of right now there seems to be a large number of people still moving to the city so I'm not sure there's a problem at the moment.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,066 times
I think that charging non residents extra money to live here is a terrible idea. I'll be damned if they charge me extra money to live here before I became an official resident. I moved here from NYC and I've been here for 2 years and still have a hard time adjusting. Besides the lower cost of living (which is not necessarily the case because you have to have a car) and the nature, there isn't much here.

There's definitely not enough diversity here. Racism is alive and well; racial profiling is fierce. My significant other is a 6'7" African man from Brooklyn, and has had to pay over $1000 in speeding tickets in one year. I'm not saying he doesn't go over the speed limit at times, I see people doing it all the time, but the amount of times he's been pulled over as opposed to me is very disproportionate. I speed too. I run red lights, not as a practice, but it happens sometimes. I've never been pulled over. Not ONCE. He has a degree and experience in the finance world, I'm working on my bachelor's online. Maybe because he has more qualifications it's been easier for me to find a job, but these are jobs that pay very little: maybe 11/hr. So there's a lot going on here. It needs to be explored.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 AM

436 posts, read 445,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWomanWriter View Post
I think that charging non residents extra money to live here is a terrible idea. I'll be damned if they charge me extra money to live here before I became an official resident. I moved here from NYC and I've been here for 2 years and still have a hard time adjusting. Besides the lower cost of living (which is not necessarily the case because you have to have a car) and the nature, there isn't much here.

There's definitely not enough diversity here. Racism is alive and well; racial profiling is fierce. My significant other is a 6'7" African man from Brooklyn, and has had to pay over $1000 in speeding tickets in one year. I'm not saying he doesn't go over the speed limit at times, I see people doing it all the time, but the amount of times he's been pulled over as opposed to me is very disproportionate. I speed too. I run red lights, not as a practice, but it happens sometimes. I've never been pulled over. Not ONCE. He has a degree and experience in the finance world, I'm working on my bachelor's online. Maybe because he has more qualifications it's been easier for me to find a job, but these are jobs that pay very little: maybe 11/hr. So there's a lot going on here. It needs to be explored.

Wow! You certainly seem like the perfect couple. LOL!!! I can't personally see either of you getting ahead even with degrees.

What do you mean when you say, "and the nature, there isn't much here?" What "nature" are you talking about? Do you know what the word diversity means? Fifteen percent of Charlotte is from another country, I believe that makes us more diverse than the national average. Do you work at McDonalds?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:

1000 dollars in speeding tickets. That's 4-5 tickets a year. Perhaps he needs to follow the laws a bit more closely

Old 02-14-2016, 10:56 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,460,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
1000 dollars in speeding tickets. That's 4-5 tickets a year. Perhaps he needs to follow the laws a bit more closely
It's easier to blame someone else for not following the same rules we all live by then actually just not doing what's illegal.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:

There's definitely not enough diversity here. Racism is alive and well; racial profiling is fierce. My significant other is a 6'7" African man from Brooklyn, and has had to pay over $1000 in speeding tickets in one year. I'm not saying he doesn't go over the speed limit at times, I see people doing it all the time, but the amount of times he's been pulled over as opposed to me is very disproportionate. I speed too.
Yeah. I am sure this is racism.

If he has had to pay over $1,000 in speeding tickets in one year he should not be driving.

Grow up and stop speeding.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Parks and libraries are county functions, so they are equally available to residents of Mathews, Huntersville, Cornelius, etc. Not mention that non Mecklenburg residents can access many of those amenities as well.
You're right, though I had York County in mind when writing this. And, maybe it's me, but I find little distinction between some parts of Fort Mill, when compared to south Charlotte - save better road planning in NC.

And I look around Fort Mill, and look at all of the lost revenue Charlotte could've enjoyed, if not for resident's concerns about schools, and petty crime.

Or look at Tega Cay, and the development that's going on there, largely because of it's proximity to Lake Wylie. Steele Creek could've enjoyed the same success, if not for concerns over petty larceny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
What Charlotte needs to do is institute a non-resident income tax, and use the money to beef up schools and police. That way, the non-residents who draw a benefit from the city can contribute to the city's well being. It would have the additional benefit of enticing some people back into the city. Of course, our current general assembly would never allow that to happen.
I wonder if a non-resident tax might further drive people into SC

Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
That pretty much how almost all cities work. There are people who prefer to live in suburban areas for various reasons and would still prefer it regardless of how school, crime, etc. are. Not everyone prefers urban living.
I understand that completely, but Charlotte has a lot to offer almost everyone; downtown is urban, while there are parts that are (comparatively) rural.

And of course people have the freedom of choice, to live wherever they like.

But when I see young families move out of Charlotte, and are completely content to lengthen their commute for the sake of better schools...not saying their reasons are unjustified, but it's a shame.

The fix is pretty simple. I am simply surprised that the City doesn't consider this an issue worth their attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte