Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all I just accepted a job in Mooresville, NC. I am relocating from the Philadelphia area. I have two high school teens that are currently enrolled in the 9th rank public high school in PA and my wife's and educator. After doing several weeks of research for schools, my wife decided that Audrey Kell High was probably the best school in the area. The problem is the housing would be about a 45 min. commute to work for me.

While 45 min isn't terrible, I was hoping to reduce my commute times to under 30 minutes (i've done 45 minute commute for 20 years). Are how are the high schools in Mooresville in relation to Audrey Kell High?

If I can't find a suitable alternative to Audrey Kell High I'm considering renting for 3 years (kids graduate), then purchasing a home where school taxes aren't too high. But if I could fine a nice home close to the office, with a great high school.

The kids are very athletic so competitive school sports is a must. Some of the things I look for in a community is availability. I like the night life, but not the club scene. Just like to get out and relax my mind at night and bite to eat or a drink late at night. Where big outdoor people, mountain biking, hiking, some hunting and fishing, but we don't mind the city noise. We also ride motorcycles so having access to good roads is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

261 posts, read 378,161 times
Do a search for "Mooresville" on this board and you'll find lots of existing threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ille-high.html

Old 02-02-2016, 08:18 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im1badmf View Post
Hi all I just accepted a job in Mooresville, NC. I am relocating from the Philadelphia area. I have two high school teens that are currently enrolled in the 9th rank public high school in PA and my wife's and educator. After doing several weeks of research for schools, my wife decided that Audrey Kell High was probably the best school in the area. The problem is the housing would be about a 45 min. commute to work for me.

While 45 min isn't terrible, I was hoping to reduce my commute times to under 30 minutes (i've done 45 minute commute for 20 years). Are how are the high schools in Mooresville in relation to Audrey Kell High?

If I can't find a suitable alternative to Audrey Kell High I'm considering renting for 3 years (kids graduate), then purchasing a home where school taxes aren't too high. But if I could fine a nice home close to the office, with a great high school.

The kids are very athletic so competitive school sports is a must. Some of the things I look for in a community is availability. I like the night life, but not the club scene. Just like to get out and relax my mind at night and bite to eat or a drink late at night. Where big outdoor people, mountain biking, hiking, some hunting and fishing, but we don't mind the city noise. We also ride motorcycles so having access to good roads is a plus.
Read the thread on the toll lanes for I 77 then scrap the plan for Ardrey Kell. Look in Mooresville. I 77 going north to Mooresville would have you pining for the Surekill.

For recreation look at Crowders Mountain State Park.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,443,544 times
Mooresville has some of the highest ranks schools in the state so you're in luck. Do yourself a huge favor and live in Mooresville and avoid commuting on 77, trust us.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Mooresville has some of the highest ranks schools in the state so you're in luck. Do yourself a huge favor and live in Mooresville and avoid commuting on 77, trust us.
agree

Old 02-03-2016, 05:40 AM

279 posts, read 884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I agree! Mooresville schools are tops! The high school is undergoing a massive update and will be unbelievable when it's through. I love our schools! You will find downtown Mooresville has quite the night life as well. Wonderful place to live.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 AM

193 posts, read 493,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im1badmf View Post

The first thing to note is that Mooresville is service by two school systems, with several public high school options. Iredell Statesville School System and Mooresville Graded Schools. It's really important to look at the individual school, and because there are so many alternative options, I would certainly recommend a visit and a school tour. In Iredell Schools, we have Lake Norman High School, The IB Scool, VPAC program, as well as the career academy/technical school. I have a daughter at Lake Norman High School (sophomore year) and would be happy to answer any specific questions. The thing to know about CMS schools is that the boundary lines change often. Yes, Ardrey Kell is and excellent school, as is Hough in Cornelius. The taxes to living in these areas can be significantly different from what you will find in some areas of Iredell County. We have an excellent PTO program/Booster Program to supplement many of schools in the Iredell County area, as Lake Norman serves many affluent neighborhoods. Lake Norman State Park, Fisher Farm Park are some great mountain bike locations. I have lived in Mooresville for 13 years, and am happy to share any specific information that you need.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM

54 posts, read 76,160 times
I have lived in Mooresville for 4 years (moved from OH) and my kids go to Lake Norman Elementary,love it, and look forward to going to Lake Norman High school.

We have friends with kids in the Mooresville Graded district and they speak very highly of it as well.

I do agree with others on here that your best choice would be one of these schools.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,498 times
Awesome answers everyone. I past this forum post onto my wife and I'm sure she'll have quite a few questions. we'll be in Mooresville in about a week to shop around. Hopefully we'll be able to schedule a school tour.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM

222 posts, read 194,396 times
I was born and raised in Philadelphia, and miss it dearly. Have been in Charlotte now for two years, don't really enjoy it. It completely lacks any character and culture, public transit is subpar, it really is boring here, think about this decision before you make it. Philly offers much more to do, see, and is a whole lot more diverse. Charlotte is nice I guess, but really nothing compared to a major Northeastern type of city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte