Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 49,771 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have been considering a move to the Charlotte area for a number of years, and are finally able to come for a short visit. We will need additional visits, but I am looking for input to be most effective in this first trip.
We will be empty nesters, with my husband working from home. I will probably look for a job, but that will be secondary and will not be a factor in deciding where we want to live.
We hope to live on a lake, both for a beautiful view out the windows and for the boating fun. We are also interested in affordable golf; either public with reasonable rates, or a club without exorbitant membership/greens fees.
I have been wishing on Lake Norman homes for years, but now that we are close to being able to move, the prices may be out of reach for us. We would need to stay $350-$400 for the house. Lake Wylie seems more affordable, but not drastically. The prices at High Rock Lake or Badin Lake seem more affordable, but I wonder if we would feel too out of it… I like the idea of being around shops, churches, people, festivals…
Also, I am wondering about the color of the lakes. Sometimes the photos I see make the lake look really brown… is that only in the small coves or channels? My main interest is a beautiful blue vista out the windows of my home.
Are there any specific areas you would suggest we see on this first trip? Are the communities on the northwest side of Lake Norman nice? Any golf courses come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli499 View Post
Hi,
We have been considering a move to the Charlotte area for a number of years, and are finally able to come for a short visit. We will need additional visits, but I am looking for input to be most effective in this first trip.
We will be empty nesters, with my husband working from home. I will probably look for a job, but that will be secondary and will not be a factor in deciding where we want to live.
We hope to live on a lake, both for a beautiful view out the windows and for the boating fun. We are also interested in affordable golf; either public with reasonable rates, or a club without exorbitant membership/greens fees.
I have been wishing on Lake Norman homes for years, but now that we are close to being able to move, the prices may be out of reach for us. We would need to stay $350-$400 for the house. Lake Wylie seems more affordable, but not drastically. The prices at High Rock Lake or Badin Lake seem more affordable, but I wonder if we would feel too out of it… I like the idea of being around shops, churches, people, festivals…
Also, I am wondering about the color of the lakes. Sometimes the photos I see make the lake look really brown… is that only in the small coves or channels? My main interest is a beautiful blue vista out the windows of my home.
Are there any specific areas you would suggest we see on this first trip? Are the communities on the northwest side of Lake Norman nice? Any golf courses come to mind?
Check Moss Lake/Kings Mountain reservoir.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Water view obviously won't be as pricey as waterfront. Wylie will be cheaper than Norman, but not by too much when it comes to a regular house and not some monstrosity. Norman is larger and a bit cleaner than Wylie. Wylie is a shallower lake so it will look a bit more brown. If you were to go on Wylie now, it wouldn't be too bad. The mud gets churned up a lot in the summer. Don't wear a white bathing suit in there. Wylie also seems to have an annual sewer spill, some larger than others.

Lake Norman seems to have more going on around it.

Several friends and I lovingly refer to Wylie as the Redneck Riviera.

Expect to pay $350k or better for waterfront on either unless you find a deal on a house needing work. Norman also has much better big water views. Wylie is more of a river, hence a lot of old timers say "we're going down to the river."

Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Check out High Rock Lake Association, Inc. for information and look in zip code 28146 for listings.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:48 PM

193 posts, read 495,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli499 View Post
Hi,
Don't forget about Lake Norman just yet! Try looking in Sherrills Ford. I personally have a lake view home in a lake access neighborhood with a boat slip just above that price range, I remember finding others that were closer to your price point when doing comps.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Thank you all for your responses. Doesn't sound like Lake Wylie will be a good match for us....really want as blue a view as possible. is that a problem with Kings Mountain Lake also? When I visit in 2 weeks, will the lake color in Lake Norman, High Rock, and King Mountain not be representative also? Or is that more a characteristic of Lake Wylie?

Does anyone have an opinion on High Rock Lake/ Badin Lake area? Does it have much of a community feeling? Any social events for the residents?

Also, how about mosquitos? Is it worse at any specific spot? Do they have abatement programs? Are they effective?

Finally.... when do you start seeing the most inventory of houses for sale on the lake?

Thanks to all for the help.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:36 PM

You really need to just get down here and look at properties. You may decide NC is for you, or not at all for you. You really need to spend some time here. Not just a weekend. Get out and experience the traffic. See the area. Take it all in.

Posts on a message board should have about 0.01% effect on your decision of where to move.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 PM

As I mentioned.... we plan to make several trips in making our decision... questions on this forum are simply research to prepare for our initial trip.

Can anyone speak to the community environment around High Rock and Badin Lakes?

We will be visiting the last weekend of February... based on a previous poster's comments about Lake Wylie, would you expect the color of the rest of the lakes be very different now versus during spring/summer when the lake is more active?

Are there mosquito abatement programs? Are they very effective?

Thanks for all helpful responses.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 AM

The difference in water color won't be too great.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 AM

129 posts, read 201,242 times
eli499

I moved to Lake Norman last year, and my main priority in buying was the view!

Are you looking for a single family house? a condo? a townhouse?

How many bedrooms?

There could be waterfront/view properties in your price range - depending on answers to the above.

Last edited by LItoCharlotte; 02-13-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte