Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am just going to say this......this isn't about being in Charlotte.

I have seen kids in California, Arizona and other places with a confederate flag. My guess is that they were Arians, but they weren't in the South.

So, my point is that this kind of stuff is not exclusive to "the South." Actually, I often forget I am in the South here until I hear an accent occasionally.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Kids do foolish things.
I do not see anything racist or hateful (other than the 'bird' I guess) in the photos.

So you (not you personally, but your heritage I presume from your original post) defeat the South in the war of northern aggression, then 143 years later want to move here and complain about a historical flag? Sure I have seen all the posts about how the pizza here stinks, and the bagels are no good, and northerners cannot find a good diner. But can we please hold onto some of our history? Just as my wife is proud of her Northern heritage in and around Boston, I too am proud of my Southern heritage. And no I do not fly a Confederate flag or have stickers of such on my vehicles. IMHO it is in the past, and it is time to move on. I fail to get the point, but I am almost 2x your age.

Last fall I was visiting my inlaws in Bernardston MA.
There is a beautiful old cemetery with probably 300 graves of brave troops from the North who fought against the South as well as a stunning large statue dedicated to the same. I was struck to see this site as the sun was setting behind an old church. I had nothing but respect and sadness (just as I do when I visit a Confederate cemetary) as I pondered history.

IMHO get over it already, there are much bigger issues at hand.
If you were not aware the Secretary of State is a successful black woman, and shortly the USA could elect the first black (well, 1/2 black) President.
The idea of racism & 'the man' keeping people down is only perpetuated by the likes of Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton.
I never said I disliked or disapproved of southern heritage. And my heritage is actually Italian. My family came here in the early 1900's and had nothing to do with the "war of northern aggression".

Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
First off, keep in mind I am 21. Also, these pictures might be offensive to some people. These pictures are from Facebook - I know people who unfortunately know these people and I would just like to let everyone know that these people exist here and if you have high-school/college-aged children these are who they might encounter. (These people are seniors at Providence High School, believe it or not).

Flickr: Photos from nyxmike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23652876@N08/ - broken link)

I cannot stand these people and for everyone on here who tries to trick people into thinking it isn't like that anymore or there are people like this everywhere, they are wrong. If you move here or already have, hopefully your children won't turn into one of these low-lives. I can't believe parents here let their children act like that. This is what makes me embarrassed to live here. Other than that (and I feel that this is a valid complaint), I can't really complain.
I forgive you because you are young and ideological. I live in Florida and most of my friends are from the Northeast and Canada. I have a "Rebel room" with my rebel flags. We party there (my northern friends), play guitars, drink, and have a great time. Nobody has been offended because it doesn't mean I hate anyone. I live in the south and love the south and to me, my flags represent nothing hateful. Get over it. Your perception is "your" perception. We even have a Confederate Memorial Day part. Even my yank friends bring rebel flags. What a bunch of fun, open minded ,great friends I have. God bless them all. God bless Dixie and the north too. For your information, the Son's of Confederate Soldiers, a national organization, has denounced the use of the Confederate flag at gatherings of hate, ie. Skin heads, KKK, and others that qualify.

Last edited by vindaloo; 02-07-2008 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I never said I disliked or disapproved of southern heritage. And my heritage is actually Italian. My family came here in the early 1900's and had nothing to do with the "war of northern aggression". Also, I completely agree with your statement "I too am proud of my Southern heritage (there is nothing wrong with that and that is not what I am saying) and no I do not fly a Confederate flag or have stickers of such on my vehicles. IMHO it is in the past, and it is time to move on." The last part of your statement is what I have been trying to explain - it is in the past.
The civil war IS in the past - southern heritage and pride will never go away (which is what this flag represents to 99% of the people who fly it)

Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Four-wheeling isn't really the issue because it can actually be fun. Not something I would do on a regular basis but I tried to be more open-minded so I tried it. However, these people literally play in the mud. It is the confederate flag thing that bothers me the most, and that they think being a redneck is "cool". Get an education and get a job and be useful to society. Some people say it is heritage, but come on. These kids were all born in the late 1980's. They are AMERICANS. They should be proud to be AMERICAN. The Civil War ended long before their time. Why am I even explaining this? Most of you wouldn't get what I am saying anyways.
So how do you feel about millions of illegals out in the streets waving Mexican flags?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
Thumbs down Are you kidding me??

Quote:
First off, keep in mind I am 21. Also, these pictures might be offensive to some people. These pictures are from Facebook - I know people who unfortunately know these people and I would just like to let everyone know that these people exist here and if you have high-school/college-aged children these are who they might encounter. (These people are seniors at Providence High School, believe it or not).

Flickr: Photos from nyxmike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23652876@N08/ - broken link)

I cannot stand these people and for everyone on here who tries to trick people into thinking it isn't like that anymore or there are people like this everywhere, they are wrong. If you move here or already have, hopefully your children won't turn into one of these low-lives. I can't believe parents here let their children act like that. This is what makes me embarrassed to live here. Other than that (and I feel that this is a valid complaint), I can't really complain.
Uuhhhh, I thought I was about to see something really atrocious. What is wrong with you? You think you are better than these kids because they like playing in the mud? Do you happen to have a silver spoon shoved where the sun doesn't shine? You are in the south buddy and that flag will always be flown by some body. It doesn't make them ignorant, and it likely doesn't make them a racist. There are certainly outliers, but the majority of people who fly that flag fly for heritage; or they fly it in your face to yankees like you who wish to take away rights such as this. Being an American has everything to do with freedoms which include freedom of expression which also includes flying a southern confederate flag. Please get over yourself and don't come in here trying to start a N v. S argument simply because you are yourself ignorant of others people's enjoyment in life and freedom to express how they choose.

And it is also QUITE ignorant of you or anyone else to assume these kids won't grow up to be something simply because they are "redneck." How dare you?! Why is it that many (not all, mind you) think that because some of us have strong southern accents, hunt, fish, shoot guns, play in the mud, or have jacked up trucks are just stupid idiots who barely graduate high school? I will do circles around your education buddy and I've had my fair share of most of the above.

You need to get out of your little box and realize that people come from all walks of life and not everybody subscribes to your liberal thinking where people must think the same. I also find it funny that it is your type who promote diversity and tolerance when in fact you are the most intolerant. You need to wake up and understand that you are not in New York anymore, and either learn to get along with the culture down here, keep your mouth shut, or find a ticket back to your perfect world where you think you are better than anyone who doesn't share the same lifestyle as you. I'll help fund your travel arrangements if necessary.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Uuhhhh, I thought I was about to see something really atrocious. What is wrong with you? You think you are better than these kids because they like playing in the mud? Do you happen to have a silver spoon shoved where the sun doesn't shine? You are in the south buddy and that flag will always be flown by some body. It doesn't make them ignorant, and it likely doesn't make them a racist. There are certainly outliers, but the majority of people who fly that flag fly for heritage; or they fly it in your face to yankees like you who wish to take away rights such as this. Being an American has everything to do with freedoms which include freedom of expression which also includes flying a southern confederate flag. Please get over yourself and don't come in here trying to start a N v. S argument simply because you are yourself ignorant of others people's enjoyment in life and freedom to express how they choose.

And it is also QUITE ignorant of you or anyone else to assume these kids won't grow up to be something simply because they are "redneck." How dare you?! Why is it that many (not all, mind you) think that because some of us have strong southern accents, hunt, fish, shoot guns, play in the mud, or have jacked up trucks are just stupid idiots who barely graduate high school? I will do circles around your education buddy and I've had my fair share of most of the above.

You need to get out of your little box and realize that people come from all walks of life and not everybody subscribes to your liberal thinking where people must think the same. I also find it funny that it is your type who promote diversity and tolerance when in fact you are the most intolerant. You need to wake up and understand that you are not in New York anymore, and either learn to get along with the culture down here, keep your mouth shut, or find a ticket back to your perfect world where you think you are better than anyone who doesn't share the same lifestyle as you. I'll help fund your travel arrangements if necessary.
Hey man, they can do whatever they want. But they still look like idiots.

And I can guarantee they won't be going very far. Maybe the next manager of Auto Bell car wash???

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
I never said I disliked or disapproved of southern heritage. And my heritage is actually Italian. My family came here in the early 1900's and had nothing to do with the "war of northern aggression".
Interesting.
So your issue with the Confederate flag is what exactly?

Last edited by mullman; 02-07-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So how do you feel about millions of illegals out in the streets waving Mexican flags?
+1

I was in NYC recently (as I am regularly) and could not count all the Puerto Rican flags I saw.
Honestly I thought nothing of it other than people proud of their heritage, coming to America for a brighter day.
God Bless America!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
nyxmike, may I make an observation? Your thread title is "this is why I don't like it here", but this non-issue seems to be a really bad excuse to not like it here.

I am just wondering - as a young 21-year-old living at home with mom and dad and commuting to college, could it be that you are just dissatisfied with your life here in general? I mean, most guys your age long to be free of living with the parents by this point - and many seem to want to spread their wings and fly to ports hither and yon rather than still be doing the same old, same old with mom and dad nearby. Not critisizing your current living situation - I know sometimes this is what people have to do to finish school (and good for you for doing that) - but still, it's probably kind of frustrating, isn't it? And is it possible that frustration is leading to your annoyance with all things local and familiar?

Just wondering...though if I am way off track I apologize in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte