U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Your still missing the point. They call themselves rednecks. I am not defining them they are defining themselves.
As in - "redneck and proud of it?" Maybe I am missing the point. I thought when people said stuff like that, they were saying it - sarcastically - tongue-in-cheek. Meaning - we are NOT rednecks even tho you like to label us rednecks.

You know - waving the flag in your face (in the pictures) and saying - yeah, we are redneck and proud of it. I mean, their clothing looks pretty prep to me. So truly, maybe I am missing the point.

Oh well. . . back to Law & Order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,919,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Chalk me up as a professional engineer, 3 degree holding, BMW driving, 'redneck' then. Although I do not wave the Confederate flag, I will stand up for the kids rights to do so.

I might not agree with your point of view, but I will fight to the death your right to express such.
That, my 21YO friend, is the definition of true 'freedom of speech'.
They have every right to be as redneck as they want to be, but they look stupid. It is the one gripe I have about growing up here.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,039,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That may be the saddest post yet.
UGH TV drama

Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
They have every right to be as redneck as they want to be, but they look stupid. It is the one gripe I have about growing up here.
Then if you do not like it here, make avenues to grow up elsewhere.

In the late 1980s my cousin was not happy in the USA.
We both grew up here in Charlotte.

He graduated 2nd in his class at UNC-CH and took a job with Coke in Vienna Austria
Now he is International Brand Manager for MINI under the BMW Group in Munich.

Life is all what you make of it.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As in - "redneck and proud of it?" Maybe I am missing the point. I thought when people said stuff like that, they were saying it - sarcastically - tongue-in-cheek. Meaning - we are NOT rednecks even tho you like to label us rednecks.

You know - waving the flag in your face (in the pictures) and saying - yeah, we are redneck and proud of it. I mean, their clothing looks pretty prep to me. So truly, maybe I am missing the point.

No, they aren't being sarcastic. They are called "prepnecks" lol I am not kidding that is an actual term. I didn't think this was a hard thing to grasp but oh well.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM

876 posts, read 3,482,951 times
Quote:
Funny, I think 21 year old Italian yuppies driving around in Audi A4s look like they were spoon fed by mommy and daddy their entire lives.

Wow, I am starting to relate to this "profiling" thing you do mike, or not.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Then if you do not like it here, make avenues to grow up elsewhere.

In the late 1980s my cousin was not happy in the USA.
He graduated 2nd in his class at UNC-CH and took a job with Coke in Vienna Austria. Now he is International Brand Manager for MINI under the BMW Group. Life is all what you make of it.
I didn't say I was unhappy or that I didn't like it here. I am pretty sure I stated that I do like living here and watching it grow. Nowhere is perfect and everywhere has its problems. These issues may be different depending on the person. The fact that kids my age here think it is "cool" to be redneck is not going to make me leave. It is a gripe of mine, but it isn't going to make me go anywhere. Sorry to disappoint I'm sure.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM

111 posts, read 124,241 times
I think he is saying the other kids are the ones making the ones making the word REDNECK seem derogatory. Possibly, putting a negative spin on the Confederate flag and its ties to being redneck-ness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Funny, I think 21 year old Italian yuppies driving around in Audi A4s look like they were spoon fed by mommy and daddy their entire lives.
+1

I see this thread getting shut down in short order.

822 posts, read 2,541,908 times
Quote:
First off, keep in mind I am 21. Also, these pictures might be offensive to some people. These pictures are from Facebook - I know people who unfortunately know these people and I would just like to let everyone know that these people exist here and if you have high-school/college-aged children these are who they might encounter. (These people are seniors at Providence High School, believe it or not).

Flickr: Photos from nyxmike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23652876@N08/ - broken link)

I cannot stand these people and for everyone on here who tries to trick people into thinking it isn't like that anymore or there are people like this everywhere, they are wrong. If you move here or already have, hopefully your children won't turn into one of these low-lives. I can't believe parents here let their children act like that. This is what makes me embarrassed to live here. Other than that (and I feel that this is a valid complaint), I can't really complain.
I guess the first thing that strikes me about your post is your statement that these guys are PHS students. So what if they are PHS Seniors. Is this a key factor somehow? Would you care or be disgusted if they were seniors at a different high school? You seem to have a strange notion about PHS. Can't quite figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or