U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times

Advertisements

Moderator Note:
Members do not have to read all 6 pages that is your perogrative but it would help you understand the discussion going on here, but please read on page 5 post 185

Thank you

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2762900-post185.html
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,654,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, Mike, we all pretty much thought the same thing, but it turns out what the OP is talking about is not so much the flag itself . . . but the way these kids are using it . . .seems there is a clique of kids . . . who pride themselves on "pretending" they are some kind of hybrid - rich kids who are redecks - called "prepnecks."

Thanks you, my screwup, sorry.

However, I did see those unbelievably cute girls on another page and just want to sqeeeeeeeze them

Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,189,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
shame on them for getting their shoes dirty while 4 wheel riding
At least they all look old enough to be riding, as well as there being one smart enough to wear a helmet

The typical herald of spring in my area is reading about the severe injuries inflicted upon and/or death of a child, anywhere from the age 4-10, whose parent let them ride a 4-wheeler alone, without any safety gear to speak of

Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So people who don't go to church lack that respect you speak of? As a Christian, I really think it's statements like those that give us a bad name.
Humanism is the idea that there is nothing greater than oneself.
Religion respects something greater than oneself. I am not specifically promoting Christianity, although that is my bent.

As someone who restore vintage clocks (1825-1965) and motorcycles (1955-1969) I could never imagine putting the 220 or so parts (each well finished in their own right) of such in a box and shaking until a finished and perfectly working clock or engine emerges.

I am sorry if that gives Christians a bad name (in your opinion), but it is what it is and I will not apologize.

This is related to the OP as he was offended by something he saw and did not like.
Freedom.

Last edited by mullman; 02-09-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,730,633 times
NYXMIKE, you seem to exemplify the person with that childish , selfish "me" philosophy. Anotherwords, if you don't like something it must be bad and/or wrong and anyone that disagrees with you is wrong, ignorant or wicked? Grow up. Like Huckabee (not my choice of candidates) said, " If you go south and criticize the flag, you may be told where to stick the pole". Have fun. You are 21. Don't waste your life worrying about how other Americans enjoy their freedom.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Have you ever been to upstate new york? You wanna talk about rednecks...you have PLENTY an hour outside of NYC!!!
Additionally, if this nutty kid wants to see trucks that you have to climb into, he should go to Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio. They're see far more frequently there than in the Charlotte area. Shows he hasn't really been places. I am sure that he is only reflecting prejudices picked up from his parents anyway.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressionist View Post
Umm.. Ca may have it's problems, but backwardness is not one of them. People that raise that flag may think they are respecting our country, but living behind that flag is pure racism. Period.
And how many people live behind the flag? By the way, what exactly does that mean? And if you think that California is void of backwardness,you haven't been around California. You may not realize it but there is no state or city that is exempt from backwardness. It is a perception. You may perceive the young lads with the 4-wheelers as backwards, others may perceive you as being shallow for assuming that the confederate flag relates to racism. I certainly do.

Part of my ancestry is from India. Many Indians were enslaved by the British within the last 200 years. The British were slave owners, heavily in the slave trade, especially in the logistics arena, and continued with the colonization of countries and territories all over the world while sticking their big noses up in the air at the inferior inhabitants in these colonies. If you want to see a bunch of rednecks, go to a British soccer match and watch the crazy, rowdy, out of control hoodlums there. It truly doesn't get any worse than that. But you know what, the union jack (British flag), the stars and stripes, and the stars and bars (rebel flag), are flags that represent me, a diverse individual. Born in Britain and raised in the south.

My point is that a flag is a symbol that means different things to different individuals. The U.S. flag is admired and charished by most of us in the U.S. In Iran, the feeling is different. Your perception that the flag relates to racism is ignorant in my opinion.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,774,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Have you ever been to upstate new york? You wanna talk about rednecks...you have PLENTY an hour outside of NYC!!!
Now this is a post that exemplifies how ANYPLACE has a little bit if eveything...I reside in upstate NY and I: 1) have never held, loaded, or used a gun/rifle/semi-automatic for entertainment or food supply; 2) do not eat wild game; 3) do not own a pick-up nor a 4-wheel drive monster-truck with camo detailing; and 4) did I say I'm a non-hunter?

Do we have rednecks in upstate? Indeed we do but IMO, it goes hand in hand with the radius outside any cosmopolitan area of the country....the farther out you go, the more likely a redneck will cross your path.....

Point being, you can have a diverse combination of anybody anywhere and acceptance of that fact makes it easier to get through life smiling....

Old 02-09-2008, 03:08 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,039,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Your perception that the flag relates to racism is ignorant in my opinion.
Are two people posting under your screen name here? Because the other day you said this:

"Sounds like you got yourself a real winner for a fiance. Is he in the NAACP?"

And you said you have an entire room filled with rebel flags so I think your positions on that matter are pretty clear...maybe you and that person, and well as you and I, have different definitions of racism.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think he gets that now, LOL! Hey, I shot off my mouth a lot when I was 21 too - he'll get over it
I'm 38 and it's been a long time for me too. I know this because my wife tells me it's been something like days since I've shot my mouth off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or