U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,174 times

Advertisements

[quote=nail in da coffin;2780410]
Moderator cut: the referring post has been edited or deleted

There's a thread that has 1.5 years of a discussion on the Conferederate Flag, actually much of it is decent point/counter point (without the emotional fluff). It's in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-10-2008 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM

44 posts, read 141,754 times
Wink Some History for this Debate

No slave ships flew the flag of the confederacy.(The US flag was flown)
The largest slave owner in the country was a black woman in Louisiana, who inherited slaves when her white husband died. She didn't free them.
Slaves were sold to the Americans by their own families and tribe leaders.
There was plenty of slave owners in the north and when the north abolished slavery most owners sold their slaves to the south. (They didn't set them free)
I detest when the confederate flag is used as a sign of hate.

There were a lot of dirty hands during the slave trade and it was not seen as wrong back then. Let's start a new thread if we want to talk of racism and terrible times in our country's history. How about the only race that deserves sympathy and help. The Native Americans had their whole country taken from them, and very few exist to this day. The entire race was almost wiped out.

This is not a forum for this type of discussion. You don't like it here, LEAVE!!!! It is now a free country.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
moderator note:

Please read the healthy polite discussion going on the first five pages. Infractions have and will be issue to those who post off topic you understand the topic of discussion here before posting.
If you do not want to read the first five pages then fine but becareful with your post that it is on OP topic.

This isnt about confederacy but more on the students in the photo SINCE THIS IS WHAT THE OP CONCERN WAS OVER NOT SOME WAR
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,620 times
The pictures you referenced: Flickr: Photos from nyxmike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23652876@N08/ - broken link) Are you saying you got those from Facebook and then posted them to your Flickr account? Those are not free to distribute and a flagrant disregard of terms of service, if this is in fact the case.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrog View Post
The pictures you referenced: Flickr: Photos from nyxmike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23652876@N08/ - broken link) Are you saying you got those from Facebook and then posted them to your Flickr account? Those are not free to distribute and a flagrant disregard of terms of service, if this is in fact the case.
I think OP has been beaten up enuff on this thread. His concerns were misunderstood from the first post. How about we just let this thread die a natural death?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I am not friends with them but I know them.
So instead of talking trash about them on an online forum that I am sure they probably don't frequent have you thought about or have you shared your feelings about them face to face?
I think it's hysterical how you looked down on off-road motorsports. Hate to break it to you but just because you enjoy off-road motorsports that does not make you a redneck. What hobbies do you enjoy? I pretty much just see a bunch of pictures of immature teenagers more than anything else. Being your from NY I'm sure you can't forget about the kids with their jeans down to there knees and their boxers hanging out with their baseball caps on sideways. Each region has there fads. I personally think you should confront these people face to face instead of venting your anger on a forum. Just my .02.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

40 posts, read 142,519 times
i have not seen any of that here. this reagon is mostly northeastern transplants, mainly from NY, NJ or CT

Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM

34 posts, read 92,812 times
Quote:
I am currently in college in the process of getting my degree.

Thanks lovesmountains but I don't need a therapist.

However, my fustration may be that most guys here think being redneck is "cool" and I just don't see what is so "cool" about it. I am not conservative or religious either. I do like to hike and fish though. I am tolerant of lots of things - rednecks just grind my nerves though (those kids are obviously admitting that they are rednecks and apparently they are proud of it, as most of them seem to be).

The difference between a Puerto Rican flag and a Confederate Flag is that you are an American and that is the symbol of our country just like a Puerto Rican flag is a symbol of their country. The Confederate Flag is h-i-s-t-o-r-y and I really don't care if you don't agree with me.

So if your driving down the road and you see a pickup truck with a bunch of kids in it with a huge confederate flag hanging out the back with the word "redneck" on it what would you be thinking?

"Aw, look how cute they are. What a nice bunch of kids" or how about the more realistic thought, "Where the HELL am I?"
Who are you to judge what is cool and what is not. To me it's just personal preference. Some kids are goth, some kids are rockers, some kids are into hip hop, etc. Why are you so hung up on this? Did you try to be like them and they rejected you?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM

3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
I don't get your complaint....what's the problem?? A lot of people do not take offense to a Confederate Flag. They are proud to be Southern...I don't see anything wrong with it. If you think it racist remember this is not the majority and the fact of the matter is that you have dopes living everywhere in this country. It's not like they are wearing white sheets burning crosses on someones lawn. I say live and let live...you shouldn't judge people who have different values and ways of life then you do.

I do. As a person born and reared in Anson County, I wish these redneck hicks would just move to Alabama or something and put a fence around themselves. They are an embarrassment to North Carolinians who are modern and progressive and want nothing to do with such ignorance. The very fact that so many African-Americans are deeply offended by the Confederate flag should be enough to give decent people pause about displaying the flag of the treasonous confederacy. It's the 21st century, come out of the Dark Ages!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:
Four-wheeling isn't really the issue because it can actually be fun. Not something I would do on a regular basis but I tried to be more open-minded so I tried it. However, these people literally play in the mud. It is the confederate flag thing that bothers me the most, and that they think being a redneck is "cool". Get an education and get a job and be useful to society. Some people say it is heritage, but come on. These kids were all born in the late 1980's. They are AMERICANS. They should be proud to be AMERICAN. The Civil War ended long before their time. Why am I even explaining this? Most of you wouldn't get what I am saying anyways.
Can't seem to pinpoint what it is about your logic that doesn't seem to coorelate. First, yes we are Americans and proud to be Americans. We are also diverse. We are a nation that has different dialects, histories, and mannerisms. Since these kids were born in the 1980s, I am certain that their relationship with the flag has nothing to do with the Civil War or racism. It is a sign to them that they are southern and proud. History probably has no relavence in their situation. The only people that I ever hear speak of the Civil War are northerners when they have had a confrontation (oral altercation) with a southerner seemingly automatically accuses the southerner of being a redneck or that "They are still fighting the Civil War", regardless of reason for the confrontation or fault. So to answer your last statement. I do get what you are saying, and I feel that your perception is the result of southern stereotypes used in your environment wherever you come from. America is a free country and you are free to avoid associations with whomever you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or