U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 64,653 times

Advertisements

My 7 year old daughter is having some difficulties in school and I am currently trying to find a tutor. Has anyone had any experience with Sylvan Learning Center. Or if anyone has used a tutor in the past that they have been happy with, could you please pass on their name or the name of the facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM

65 posts, read 214,720 times
I use to be a teacher. What is she having difficulty in? I am licensed in the state of NC and I will not charge as much as Sylvan. If you want to repsond to me privately, and then we can talk. Or if you want to go to Sylvan that is fine too. I used to work at a tutoring center myself and they can be pricy. Honestly, if you are able to read, write and do basic math youself,I would as a parent work with my child on my own. You are saving your money and you are able to see where your child is having difficulty. Ask the teacher if she can bring her school books home with her or borrow an extra set and just review the lesson with her every night. Ask her open ended questions, make a word wall together, play a word game. There are so many games that you could do with her to help her. Read atleast twenty minues every night and do a few math problems as well. There is school store on Independence and I think one in Pineville if you want to puchase some workbooks. Also, there are plenty of educational games online. Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 PM

822 posts, read 2,540,478 times
I used to tutor at Sylvan as well. They have a good set up because of the testing narrows down what a student needs help in to precise skills. I couldn't see evidence of how the children performed at school during or after their time at Sylvan so it's hard to say exactly how much the program helped.

Also, have you spoken with the teacher. What type of trouble is she having? If the teacher is worth her tax paid salary, she'll talk with you and explain what's going on.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,797,937 times
I would limit Sylvan to older learners with real problems. Just like the comments before, confer with the teacher and try to grasp where the real problems lay. I use to tutor in NYC and many things could be handle by you with time and persistence. If you feel your child need a tutor, seek help from a high school student with patience. If the child is lazy and have no learning problem; an older student may help. Center the lessons around what the teacher is teaching. Please don't rely on H.S. students to come up with a plan. You must devise your own and pass to them. Many children hate learning from their parents and look up to teens.

I don't know if Charlotte has Kumon, but I found them very helpful with my stubborn daughter who refused to learn by me.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:06 AM

11 posts, read 37,970 times
I have a M.S.Ed. in Learning Disabilities and in Reading (and currently teach that population). My experience is that kids are NOT lazy; they are experiencing difficulties which cause them to become frustrated and often shut down.

I'd first conference with your child's teacher to see where the breakdown is occurring. If the teacher recommends tutoring, I'd find a qualified reading instructor - someone who knows child development, and age-appropriate expectations. I'd steer away from the big centers and try to find an individual who will not get you sucked into a long-term commitment.

And as mentioned by the PP's, read - a lot, and surround your child with a print-rich environment!

Good luck and kudos to you for acting early; the earlier the interventions/strategies, the better!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-08-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: post is now in compliance with tos

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM

65 posts, read 214,720 times
Yes, it can be f[SIZE=3]rustrating for a child to be tutored by their parent, but that just depends on you and your child. [/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Our daughter had bad problems (math, reading, comprehension). We tried private tutors and school teacher tutors - nothing really improved.

We talked to the school about Sylvan and they discouraged us claiming they just "teach to a test" (guess what, isn't that what the public schools are doing?)....

We put it off a year because of the schools comment and she kept going downhill.

In dispair we finally went to Sylvan in late 5th grade (she was flunking). We stayed with Sylvan thru Junior High. She entered High School a year above grade level and became an A/B student. Sylvan was the best investment we ever made.

I would go there again in a second. I'm just sorry we didn't go there sooner.

All of the teachers we encountered at Sylvan were certified teachers. In almost every case, they were a public school teacher who was working Sylvan part-time. They said the best part of their work day was at Sylvan - low ratios (4:1) and they were working with people that wanted to learn.

I can't explain their system, but it does work. They are very focused on a certain set of skills for each 8 hour block (maybe 12 hour). They get tested 3 times to insure retention. I wish we would have gone 1 year earlier when she was in 4th grade.

The Director at Sylvan really tried to work with our daughter's teachers to align the skill that she was working on at school with the skill she was working on at Sylvan, but generally we followed the Sylvan plan on the next block of skills to work on. There was a point when she leveled off and we weren't seeing a lot of progress, we were tempted to drop out at that point, but decided to give it a little time, after a few months she pushed thru that and went to the next level.

Great great program... worth every penny we paid... and glad we didn't drop them the one time we thought about it.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingridrugyb View Post
My 7 year old daughter is having some difficulties in school and I am currently trying to find a tutor. Has anyone had any experience with Sylvan Learning Center. Or if anyone has used a tutor in the past that they have been happy with, could you please pass on their name or the name of the facility.
It has been some time since my son was in Sylvan, but I was very disappointed. He went to one in Columbus, Ohio. I was somewhat disturbed on his first night there when I read a bulletin board to parents from one of the instructors. There were so many typos and grammar errors that I questioned the staff about the competence of those that worked there. Next, I notice that kids were basically put on a computer and didn't get much one-on-one instruction that they needed.

I was also surprised to find out that practically every student there was diagnosed with dyslexia. It was a label that was freely handout out to most students there whether they actually were or not. My son was diagnosed as such, and he wasn't.

It could be that it is better now, but based on my past, I would look at tutoring at schools, being patient and doing it yourself (easier said than done), or hiring a certified teacher or retired teacher as a tutor. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It has been some time since my son was in Sylvan, but I was very disappointed. He went to one in Columbus, Ohio. I was somewhat disturbed on his first night there when I read a bulletin board to parents from one of the instructors. There were so many typos and grammar errors that I questioned the staff about the competence of those that worked there. Next, I notice that kids were basically put on a computer and didn't get much one-on-one instruction that they needed.

I was also surprised to find out that practically every student there was diagnosed with dyslexia. It was a label that was freely handout out to most students there whether they actually were or not. My son was diagnosed as such, and he wasn't.

It could be that it is better now, but based on my past, I would look at tutoring at schools, being patient and doing it yourself (easier said than done), or hiring a certified teacher or retired teacher as a tutor. Good luck.
I know they are franchised so alot must depend on the owner/director; however, in the center we went to (Omaha) I never once saw a kid working on a computer - it was always with a teacher (3:1 or 4:1). Also, everything was always presented in a very professional manner.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM

12 posts, read 64,653 times
I really like to think everyone who replied. I've spoke with my daughter's teacher to determine her problems areas - math, reading comprehension, fluency and writing. I've decided to focus on these problems areas at home. If that does not help I will get a recommendation from the teacher regarding the tutoring option. If all those things fail I will revisit the Sylvan option later. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte