U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,134,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToCharlotte2016 View Post

Out of curiosity, why did you single our Harrisburg for being a poor for appreciation prospects? Aside from being close to campus with decent schools, I don't know the first thing about the area.
Poor appreciation is more likely anywhere there is abundant vacant land. I don't think Harrisburg in general will have poor appreciation but in the higher price ranges I think it is and will continue to be an issue.

Very little vacant land around Southpark or downtown Davidson.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 02-07-2016 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM

191 posts, read 317,279 times
Quote:
My family and I will be moving to Charlotte this summer, and I will be teaching at UNCC. While I will be primarily working and teaching at the University City campus, I will also occasionally be teaching courses at the UNCC Center City campus. I will generally not be commuting at peak rush hour.

I know there are a handful of threads regarding UNCC relocations, but most of them were dated, and during the interview a number of people mentioned that the completion of 485 had really improved commute ties. That said, I was hoping some of the folks on here might weigh in with some up-to-date information about Charlotte-area neighborhoods and likely commute times.

We need at least 4 bedrooms, and our budget would top out around 700k (spending less than that is fine too). We plan on using the public schools, and from what I have been told, this will eliminate large parts of Mecklenberg County, especially in the University City area. Lastly, we would prefer a newer home (e.g., something built after 1990 or so). We have been living in old homes for a while now and are quite sick of the "old house" problems. We like to run and get outdoors, so close proximity to parks/trails, a pool, and the ability to walk to some retail would be a plus, although not a requirement.

Places that have been recommended to us so far include Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews, Harrisburg, South Park, and Concord. What would the off-peak commute times to UNCC's University City campus look like from these areas? I have calculated the travel times in Google, but I am always a little skeptical about the accuracy. Are there any other areas we should be considering?

Thanks!
I can tell you that much of CMS will be undergoing redistricting very soon, so be very cautious with lots of due diligence concerning schools in the Charlotte Area. That being said, I have two Professors/Friends who live down the road, so I reached out to them for advice. They allow for 1 hour commute from Mooresville (exit 33-36 on I-77) They have said that the opening of 485 has shaved 15 minutes off commute. Leaving at 6:00 am arriving at 6:35 (main campus). I'll advocate for Iredell county due to some of the other items you mentioned. First, we have many newer homes between 400-700 in some fantastic neighborhoods. Our schools in the immediate area are top notch, and we have very few concerns for redistricting. My children have attended ISS schools from K (currently 7th and 10th grader). Our taxes are far less that Mecklenburg county in some areas, which gives you more buying power. Our resales have held up even during the down turn. Traffic will be an issue, but I think the pro's outweigh that con. We have commuters all over the Charlotte area and with many of their executives choosing to live in Mooresville. I'd love to set up a school tour for you if you decide that Mooresville is a possibility. I also think my friends would be happy to answer any specific questions that you may have about the commute. I know they have been doing it for at least 8 years. Hope this helps....

Old 02-07-2016, 06:31 PM

9 posts, read 6,417 times
Thanks for the information. I will look into the redistricting. It seems like the schools in northern mecklenberg are all pretty solid. Unless mecklenberg brings back busing, I would expect there would be little change in the quality of schools someone is zoned for in the Lake Norman area.

I was confused by your comment about the commute. Is it an hour or 35 minutes in general from Mooresville to UNCC?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I will look into the redistricting. It seems like the schools in northern mecklenberg are all pretty solid. Unless mecklenberg brings back busing, I would expect there would be little change in the quality of schools someone is zoned for in the Lake Norman area.

I was confused by your comment about the commute. Is it an hour or 35 minutes in general from Mooresville to UNCC?
Actually, I've recently heard some talk of a new high school or re-districting in the North Mecklenburg area (lake Norman). Hough High school is pretty desirable, but getting pretty crowded. Some neighborhoods are safer than others. As for the commute times, he says at that time of day he makes it in 35, but in general they allow an 1hr at other class times. His wife says she tries to avoid the 9:30 class times when possible.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:37 PM

645 posts, read 755,337 times
Try Davis Lake. They're not $700,000 enchanted castles, but they're adequate for a family of five, plus the university is about a fifteen minute drive (or less) away from UNCC on Harris Boulevard. The morning drive time is in the opposite direction of the rush. You can enter on the Tryon Street entrance. (I think that has been completed).

Houses were built in early '90's. It's a small development, but it's attractive.

Others can fill you in about area schools. If you can afford a 700K house, you might be able to afford a good private school.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
Actually, I've recently heard some talk of a new high school or re-districting in the North Mecklenburg area (lake Norman). Hough High school is pretty desirable, but getting pretty crowded. Some neighborhoods are safer than others. As for the commute times, he says at that time of day he makes it in 35, but in general they allow an 1hr at other class times. His wife says she tries to avoid the 9:30 class times when possible.
Got it. That is probably a little farther out than I want to go in terms of the commute.

After doing some more research, I am starting to think Davidson would be better for us. It looks like they have a nice downtown, good schools, host a number of community events, and the area and would be closer to both the uptown and main campus.

From the eastern part of Davidson, it looks like I would take 73 and Poplar Tent before hitting 85. How are those roads in the morning?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,045,530 times
As someone who worked at UNCC and lives in this area.
Look in NE Charlotte/Concord zone. Huntersville. Harrisburg is bluah to me.

People on this thread tell everyone to move to South Charlotte. For the best schools you'll be practically in Union County and that will take you 45+ without traffic.

Davidson will be a nightmare of a commute IMO.

Last edited by baybook; 02-08-2016 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: more

Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Got it. That is probably a little farther out than I want to go in terms of the commute.

After doing some more research, I am starting to think Davidson would be better for us. It looks like they have a nice downtown, good schools, host a number of community events, and the area and would be closer to both the uptown and main campus.

From the eastern part of Davidson, it looks like I would take 73 and Poplar Tent before hitting 85. How are those roads in the morning?
Taking the back way should be helpful, traffic wise on 77, you don't save much time. At about 8:30, that drive to 85 takes about 20 minutes (but that's from near Davidson interstate. I have only good things to say about the Davidson community, and do a lot of business in that area. It would place second to me for location to live and only because my husband likes to be on Lake Norman. River Run is a nice community, but there are several others. If you have some neighborhood specifics, I could send you some suggestions. (Lot size, community features, ect.)

Old 02-08-2016, 05:30 AM

Browsing online, we did come across some nice places in River Run. When does the spring market generally start in Charlotte?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Browsing online, we did come across some nice places in River Run. When does the spring market generally start in Charlotte?
We didn't really have a true slow season this year as in years past, so many relocating to the area; however, traditionally, we see spring inventory begin in March. I've encouraged most of my upcoming listings to hit the market late February to beat the crowd, but many will wait for leaves on the trees for the best pictures. So Mar/April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or