U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2016, 12:48 PM
 
5,866 posts, read 7,689,286 times
Reputation: 3366

Advertisements

I think Coastal Planner is more saying that even if Gastonia becomes a destination, it's more likely that people would just drive there rather than take a train. Some people would probably ride it, but not likely enough to justify the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 PM
 
261 posts, read 260,576 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
No, what he/she is doing is using it as an example of people travelling from a larger metro to a smaller one because it has a niche market.

If Gastonia focused on late night sidewalk cafes, or retail/restaurants... closed off a few streets and had weekend festivals or a farmers market/artist market it could work.

It would have to be something truly unique and niche but its definitely possible.
Yes, anything is possible. Let me know when it actually happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 PM
NDL
 
Location: Gaston County
3,113 posts, read 3,602,791 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Unlike downtown Charlotte, most of Gastonia's old historic buildings are still standing. But when I was there, the area looked pretty seedy and run down. But with the right commitment, it seemed like it could be transformed into a hip, artsy, fun and vibrant place like downtown Asheville. And having a train run between Charlotte and Gastonia would make it possible for Charlotte folks to come into town and have a few drinks without worrying driving back.
I'm not being snarky, just honest: Most folks in Gaston County recognize their detachment from Charlotte, are glad they're detached from Charlotte, and purpose to keep it that way. I don't know that the will exists, to install any type of rail service, to Charlotte.

And I don't blame them.

The legacy if abandoned buildings, is the natural consequence of offshoring industries to other nations.

No one wants abandoned buildings.

But with increased growth comes other issues - traffic, and in many cases, crime.

Progress is often in the eye of the beholder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 AM
 
11,678 posts, read 6,994,982 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I'm not being snarky, just honest: Most folks in Gaston County recognize their detachment from Charlotte, are glad they're detached from Charlotte, and purpose to keep it that way. I don't know that the will exists, to install any type of rail service, to Charlotte.
Seems to fit all the long time natives I know. They purposely stay away from Charlotte because of traffic, "crazy drivers" and a perceived high crime rate. For the vast majority of Gaston County residents, Gastonia meets almost all of their needs so they see absolutely no need for Charlotte attachment beyond what's already here. As the county seat serving a population of ~230k (a lot of people from Kings Mtn/Shelby/Lincolnton/Clover also use Gastonia), Gastonia does offer most of what working class people want/need.

Most people I know around here don't seem like recreational train riders. Some (not as many as you'd think) may go to Charlotte for the occasional football or basketball game, but with it being just 20-30 minutes down 85 they just hop in their car and get there. In the time it takes to drive to and from the train station, plus any waiting, paying for a ticket, and being at the mercy of the train's schedule - I don't know if they'd bother with the hassle. Perhaps with $5-6 gas there might be more interest...

Currently I just don't see enough demand for Charlotteans wanting into Gaston and vice versa. Outside of a few attractions/bars/restaurants I don't think either city would draw in a steady diet of people wanting to get to the other city. For Charlotteans, something in Gaston may be a nice day trip once a year. For those in Gaston, Charlotte is a place to go once every couple months (a game/bar/mall).

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 02-14-2016 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,720 posts, read 3,251,195 times
Reputation: 2623
Simply put, Light rail will never reach into Gaston Co. for a very, very, very long time.




The density is not there. At all.






Light rail will stretch to the airport. But I think it should be the end of Light Rail line to Matthews.




I'm not a fan of supporting any infrastructure where Mecklenburg pays the majority of the burden for other counties to reap majority of the benefits. Even if majority of a rail line falls within Mecklenburg to Gaston, Gaston has much more to gain and should pay for much more of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 AM
 
261 posts, read 260,576 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Seems to fit all the long time natives I know. They purposely stay away from Charlotte because of traffic, "crazy drivers" and a perceived high crime rate. For the vast majority of Gaston County residents, Gastonia meets almost all of their needs so they see absolutely no need for Charlotte attachment beyond what's already here. As the county seat serving a population of ~230k (a lot of people from Kings Mtn/Shelby/Lincolnton/Clover also use Gastonia), Gastonia does offer most of what working class people want/need.

Most people I know around here don't seem like recreational train riders. Some (not as many as you'd think) may go to Charlotte for the occasional football or basketball game, but with it being just 20-30 minutes down 85 they just hop in their car and get there. In the time it takes to drive to and from the train station, plus any waiting, paying for a ticket, and being at the mercy of the train's schedule - I don't know if they'd bother with the hassle. Perhaps with $5-6 gas there might be more interest...

Currently I just don't see enough demand for Charlotteans wanting into Gaston and vice versa. Outside of a few attractions/bars/restaurants I don't think either city would draw in a steady diet of people wanting to get to the other city. For Charlotteans, something in Gaston may be a nice day trip once a year. For those in Gaston, Charlotte is a place to go once every couple months (a game/bar/mall).
The driver (no pun intended) for light/commuter rail between Gastonia and Charlotte would be to get commuting traffic off the roads, not to facilitate dinners out and entertainment. Almost 30,000 Gaston County residents commute to Mecklenburg County every day. Getting them off I-85 in order to relieve congestion, lower air pollution, and not have to spend money widening existing roads or building new roads would be the reasons for rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,712 posts, read 9,330,873 times
Reputation: 5226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Yes, anything is possible. Let me know when it actually happens.
sure will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,841 posts, read 27,096,858 times
Reputation: 8900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Simply put, Light rail will never reach into Gaston Co. for a very, very, very long time.




The density is not there. At all.






Light rail will stretch to the airport. But I think it should be the end of Light Rail line to Matthews.




I'm not a fan of supporting any infrastructure where Mecklenburg pays the majority of the burden for other counties to reap majority of the benefits. Even if majority of a rail line falls within Mecklenburg to Gaston, Gaston has much more to gain and should pay for much more of the cost.
Charlotte residents would see a big benefit in getting most of the cars from Gaston County & Kings Mountain off the road. The best bet for seeing this happen would be approval of the casino. It wouldn't happen overnight, but could happen within a few years. It would mean going to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2016, 11:13 AM
 
11,678 posts, read 6,994,982 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
The driver (no pun intended) for light/commuter rail between Gastonia and Charlotte would be to get commuting traffic off the roads, not to facilitate dinners out and entertainment. Almost 30,000 Gaston County residents commute to Mecklenburg County every day. Getting them off I-85 in order to relieve congestion, lower air pollution, and not have to spend money widening existing roads or building new roads would be the reasons for rail.
The question is - how many people will actually use it to commute. I don't think many Gaston County folks are mass transit type people. Check out the bus system - the only folks I see at bus stops are one that look like they can't afford a car.

Even with congestion on 85 - how much time is the average person going to save? Seems like driving to the station, getting on the train and walking to your destination would take longer than just driving 10 miles down 85. Can you easily stop off for groceries, restaurant or pick up the kids like you can in your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2016, 01:02 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,841 posts, read 27,096,858 times
Reputation: 8900
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The question is - how many people will actually use it to commute. I don't think many Gaston County folks are mass transit type people. Check out the bus system - the only folks I see at bus stops are one that look like they can't afford a car.

Even with congestion on 85 - how much time is the average person going to save? Seems like driving to the station, getting on the train and walking to your destination would take longer than just driving 10 miles down 85. Can you easily stop off for groceries, restaurant or pick up the kids like you can in your car?
I agree with you concerning commuter rail. More people would use light rail. Heavy rail would be optimal. Stations would attract restaurants, daycares, etc. over time. It's a lot less wear & tear on cars. It could mean less money for car insurance. Not everyone would use it, but ridership would build. If you commute to Charlotte, mileage wear would drop. Gas use would drop. Even if you paid $1 a day to park in a lot parking charges would drop. the state still needs to widen 85 to the state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top