Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 1,995 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family was blindsided today with a job offer we may not be able to turn down. It would mean a relatively fast move to the Charlotte Area from Michigan. I know literally nothing about Charlotte and have never even been to north Carolina. I was wondering if you could help narrow things down for me.

We are looking for a very family friendly suburb near Charlotte with a good school system. We have a 2 and a 4 year old, so school are a major priority. We would be buying a house and would probably be looking between 300-350k.

Could you guys maybe suggest a few areas that I should start looking into?

Thank you so much for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 PM

162 posts, read 213,286 times
There are plenty of good areas in Charlotte and plenty of areas you should avoid.

Charlotte has some roads with horrendous traffic, so...

How important is the commute time to your decision?
What part of town is your job in?
What time length commute is that max you'd accept?

Besides that... what kind of area are you looking for besides schools?

Old 02-12-2016, 02:36 PM

261 posts, read 380,597 times
In addition the questions asked by 618719, also consider that Charlotte is basically a giant suburb itself, so there is no need to look outside Charlotte for a suburban lifestyle. Job location and length of desired commute are vital pieces of information needed before anyone can make an informed recommendation

Old 02-13-2016, 07:41 AM

129 posts, read 201,242 times
There are plenty to choose from both in Charlotte and in the suburbs of Charlotte - an easy drive into uptown if that is where you are working.

The questions asked above are a good starting point.

We relocated to the Lake Norman area just over a year ago and love it here!

Let me know how I can help with your move.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
You will have many options in your price range. Could you let us know where the job is located so we can best assist you?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 AM

My husband is finding out the details on Monday, so I will know the exact address then. Thank you all so much! Ill post more specifics on Monday

Old 02-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Ok, I dont know exactly where the job is because they are actually still shopping for a building. They said they are looking in the "Mid South end".

Commute time preferably shouldnt be any more than a half hour, though I know that can be hard to determine considering we dont know where it is.

So how about just, which neighborhoods are best for families on the southern side of Charlotte? Besides really good schools, which is #1, we want a cozy family friendly neighborhood that is very safe. There is a game store in Matthews, NC that Im sure we'd be frequenting a lot, so not too far from there is a plus but in no way a deciding factor.

Thanks so much for all your help. Im overwhelmed and more than slightly upset as this came out of the blue. I really appreciate all the assistance.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 9,786 times
You really can't go wrong with Ballantyne. Weddington is generally very good as well. Matthews is hit and miss.

Welcome to the Carolinas!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
There will be many neighborhoods on the south side of town that would work for you. What other criteria are important to you? For example, size, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, lot size, community amenities...)

Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
Where do you prioritize congested traffic vs. sq footage? There are a lot of trade offs and options. I would get some clear priorities listed with your family before you shop. It will help make the process easier.

Some people can talk themselves into sitting in the parking lot on their way home to Ballantyne and live in a field in some huge houses.
Others talk themselves into having less bedrooms and enjoying quicker access to entertainment and more established neighborhoods. Some of those houses may have creaks and "character".

There are no right and wrongs, but something really great about Charlotte is that you can find a lot of different options with your budget. I recommend you shop with an experienced realtor with all of Charlotte and use the priority list to describe what you like.

Good luck and let us know how you proceed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte