U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 PM

6 posts, read 18,032 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in April and would like recommendations on where to live. I will be renting for a while. Where are the safest and most affordable places to live for a single young woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxvillegirl View Post
I'm moving in April and would like recommendations on where to live. I will be renting for a while. Where are the safest and most affordable places to live for a single young woman?
Knoxvillegirl, your question is just too broad. Where will you be working (part of town), how much can you spend on rent?

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-08-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 18,032 times
I will be traveling the Carolinas for work and my limit is $800 a month. I would like to live around people in my age group 25-35.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxvillegirl View Post
I will be traveling the Carolinas for work and my limit is $800 a month. I would like to live around people in my age group 25-35.
Check out Birkdale on the north end of the county near the lake

Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,172,836 times
That was going to be my suggestion- stay out of the city. I live in Cornelius and love it. Very nice, safe area (where I never feel scared despite being 24, female and alone). Plus, I can quickly (haha) get to Mooresville, Huntersville or Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
That was going to be my suggestion- stay out of the city. I live in Cornelius and love it. Very nice, safe area (where I never feel scared despite being 24, female and alone). Plus, I can quickly (haha) get to Mooresville, Huntersville or Charlotte.
Curious as to why you say "Stay out of the City"?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,172,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Curious as to why you say "Stay out of the City"?
Traffic, crime, etc... My best friend lives in a very nice apt complex with nearly no crime, yet someone broke into her neighbor's apt last month and stole a TV in the middle of the day.

On the flip side, I feel completely safe leaving my windows open.

Yes, there are nice places within the city, but as for apartments, I feel the suburbs are a better choice. JMO.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Traffic, crime, etc... My best friend lives in a very nice apt complex with nearly no crime, yet someone broke into her neighbor's apt last month and stole a TV in the middle of the day.

On the flip side, I feel completely safe leaving my windows open.

Yes, there are nice places within the city, but as for apartments, I feel the suburbs are a better choice. JMO.
And it is OK for you to think that...but that is just your opinion.

I have lived in "the city"...Uptown Charlotte's 4th Ward since 2000. Uptown is THE safest area to live in all of Charlotte! We have -3- Police Stations...1 main and 2 sub-stations just Uptown...plus we have police on foot, bikes and car patrol. You never hear about crime in Uptown...bet you have more crime around Smith Circle (Cornelius) than we have in the entire Uptown area.

I LOVE Cornelius, Davidson & Huntersville...great areas...but so are parts of 'the city' and it is very safe as well!

Just read all the threads on here...NOT one mentions anything about crime in Uptown.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,588,328 times
One thing is for sure, if this gal might be looking to do some "partying" on the weekend, living anywhere else but inside Charlotte isn't a great idea. The "single scene" sure isn't in Huntersville or north of there. The crime is said to be less in Huntersville and north, but having weekend fun with young single people would be a drive from Huntersville/north to Charlotte.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:27 PM

184 posts, read 430,021 times
Uptown if you don't know anybody and want to meet people your own age

i am 25 and single and still in the process of meeting people 3 months into living here

I have to LOL at the people who consider Uptown dangerous by the way- it may have it's rough spots but so do other neighborhoods in Charlotte that have equal amounts of crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte