U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2016, 11:30 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,151 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello! My husband got offered a job working in Charlotte and he may have to be there by mid April. We don't know much about the area either. So this leaves us little time to try and figure everything out. I am new to this City-Data so here I go. We have a daughter who is 7 and in school of course so I'm not sure if i will be keeping her in it till the end of school year which is the beginning of June or taking her out. Here are some questions I have...

-She is in a charter school now so we would like to know of some Great public schools and charter schools in and around the area.

-We would like a school with diversity. We are an Interracial Family and want this move to go as smoothly for our daughter as possible.

-Also looking for a nice neighborhood. Suburbia would be nice but open for any areas. We would also like the neighborhood to have kids for our daughter to make friends with. Maybe with a neighborhood pool. She loves swimming and is on a team.

-Husband is willing to drive 30mins to job.

-We are looking to rent maybe for the first year and then buy. We would like it to be a house rental. So our budget we would like is $1100 or less but could go up to $1300. And of course we would like to stay in the area we would eventually buy a house.

-Would prefer homes to have some space between them and not on top of each other. We do have a dog(boxer..will be 1 in July) so a fenced yard would be nice to have since we live in a townhome now and would love to let our pup have some freedom.

-We are a very active family. We love bike riding, skating, swimming, running, working out, amusement parks, water parks, kid parks so any suggestions on places to go for that would be nice. Maybe a YMCA?

-We are so use to being so close to the movies and Walmart and target and restaurants that we wouldn't want to be to far from all of that but not sure how possible it is to get everything you want lol

We desperately need some help so I want to thank you before hand for having any helpful suggestions for us!!!! Hope I'm not forgetting anything...again thank you
Joanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman area
129 posts, read 152,036 times
Reputation: 99
There are many subdivisions in the Lake Norman area just north of Charlotte that meet your criteria.

Huntersville could be a choice for you. The Express bus to Charlotte takes my husband about 35 minutes in the morning. There is all the shopping that you could ask for, and a large mall only about 15 minutes away.

Most of the neighborhoods have pools and playgrounds, and a swimming beach is opening this summer.

There are a number of Ys close by as well - the one in Cornelius is very nice.

For amusement parks there is Carowinds close to the NC/SC border - about 35 minutes away from Huntersville.

NC is very pet friendly - there are many greenways and dog parks for your pup to have some fun!

We relocated here from NY in late 2014 and have been very happy. Overall I have found people are very welcoming to transplants, since most in the Lake Norman area are transplants themselves!

Let me know what specific questions I an answer for you.

Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 12:55 PM
 
3,416 posts, read 3,232,538 times
Reputation: 3853
Where in Charlotte is the job located?

The charter school lotteries have already taken place for the upcoming school year. Just as an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,151 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you so much Donna!! I appreciate all of your info!! We like the Huntersville so far ��

He will be working uptown Charlotte with duke energy. Yea I figured the lotteries have been done already but wanted to see what good ones were around.

Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM
 
5,905 posts, read 7,761,456 times
Reputation: 3398
Unfortunately I think you are going to have a heckuva time finding all that for even $1300/month. I just did a quick search and see only one house for rent in all of Huntersville that accepts dogs for under $1300.

If you really want a diverse school, your best bet would probably be in Charlotte. A lot of the "top rated" schools really aren't that diverse and the prices are higher. There are some areas though that have better rated elementary schools than middle/high school, like parts of the Mountain Island Lake area for example (which is close to Huntersville). On the other side of town, I see one in the Bradfield Farms neighborhood, which has good community amenities, but not particularly close to shopping (and maybe stretching the 30 min commute at rush hour). Other than that, there may be a few in Matthews and Concord, with parts of Concord probably stretching the 30 min commute as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 01:28 PM
NDL
 
Location: Gaston County
3,191 posts, read 3,657,459 times
Reputation: 2085
I don't know that the commute from Matthews to Uptown is 30 min (might be a little longer), but Matthews has a lot going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 02:12 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,030 posts, read 27,324,503 times
Reputation: 9050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannelloyd View Post
Thank you so much Donna!! I appreciate all of your info!! We like the Huntersville so far ��

He will be working uptown Charlotte with duke energy. Yea I figured the lotteries have been done already but wanted to see what good ones were around.

Thanks guys!!
Look in Gaston county. Start with Belmont then Cramerton, then look at SE Gastonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2016, 01:00 PM
 
34 posts, read 63,760 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannelloyd View Post
Hello! My husband got offered a job working in Charlotte and he may have to be there by mid April. We don't know much about the area either. So this leaves us little time to try and figure everything out. I am new to this City-Data so here I go. We have a daughter who is 7 and in school of course so I'm not sure if i will be keeping her in it till the end of school year which is the beginning of June or taking her out. Here are some questions I have...

-She is in a charter school now so we would like to know of some Great public schools and charter schools in and around the area.

-We would like a school with diversity. We are an Interracial Family and want this move to go as smoothly for our daughter as possible.

-Also looking for a nice neighborhood. Suburbia would be nice but open for any areas. We would also like the neighborhood to have kids for our daughter to make friends with. Maybe with a neighborhood pool. She loves swimming and is on a team.

-Husband is willing to drive 30mins to job.

-We are looking to rent maybe for the first year and then buy. We would like it to be a house rental. So our budget we would like is $1100 or less but could go up to $1300. And of course we would like to stay in the area we would eventually buy a house.

-Would prefer homes to have some space between them and not on top of each other. We do have a dog(boxer..will be 1 in July) so a fenced yard would be nice to have since we live in a townhome now and would love to let our pup have some freedom.

-We are a very active family. We love bike riding, skating, swimming, running, working out, amusement parks, water parks, kid parks so any suggestions on places to go for that would be nice. Maybe a YMCA?

-We are so use to being so close to the movies and Walmart and target and restaurants that we wouldn't want to be to far from all of that but not sure how possible it is to get everything you want lol

We desperately need some help so I want to thank you before hand for having any helpful suggestions for us!!!! Hope I'm not forgetting anything...again thank you
Joanne
There are 2 brand new charter schools opening in Iredell county and they are currently taking applications. Our daughter was just accepted but we have to turn it down because we found out that because they are brand new they don't really have it set up for kids with special needs (she has mild Autism). Mooresville schools are well regarded but I am not really familiar with other areas. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2016, 02:05 PM
 
Location: West Rowan , NC
67 posts, read 53,923 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by logansam54 View Post
There are 2 brand new charter schools opening in Iredell county and they are currently taking applications. Our daughter was just accepted but we have to turn it down because we found out that because they are brand new they don't really have it set up for kids with special needs (she has mild Autism). Mooresville schools are well regarded but I am not really familiar with other areas. Good luck!

The commute from Iredell County / Mooresville to Duke Energy uptown (using 77) will never be 30 minutes (unless it's during off hours.) More like an hour or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2016, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Charlotte Metro Area
2,156 posts, read 3,390,296 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I don't know that the commute from Matthews to Uptown is 30 min (might be a little longer), but Matthews has a lot going for it.

30 minutes from Matthews to Uptown? In the best conditions and never at rush hour. And the wind has to be at your back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top