Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,108 times

Advertisements

Sunny -

Thanks for the quotes. I've read along but am having trouble seeing the connection. Could be an issue on my end. It seems that you are saying that the local ordinance being repealed is somewhat of a non-issue as far as protections for the LGBT community since they were not previously protected under state/federal laws. Is that right?

I understand the argument that from a basic rights perspective this is much ado about nothing, but when we see it actually shaping the economy and having real impacts in terms of jobs, I'm not sure you can say the perception is worthless.

This whole debacle seems to have been very poorly thought out on both sides of the aisle. Would the business consequences of letting HB2 stand outweighed the costs of having new companies relocate/grow in other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 AM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, it doesn't. There are already retarded laws on the books there that allows "student religious freedom" and "allowance of open prayer in public facilities", but none of those goes as far as this one in NC. Ironically, Alabama allowed marriage equity 5 months prior to the SCOTUS ruling. The first couple to be married was in the nowadays socially progressive (its largest) city (and region), Birmingham.

Alabama might have an embarrassing asinine state legislature and governor, but that is as far as stupidity goes when it comes to bigotry there. Its black eye comes from the social catharsis that exposed all of the South's issues (not just there) with race particularly anti-black bigotry during the U.S. Civil Rights Movement led by NAACP, SCLC, and SNCC (which participated in the lunch counter sit-ins in Greensboro).

Oh, yeah, Alabama did allow same-sex marriage first. Wasn't that because their federal district court made a ruling first?

This scenario already played out in Indiana with an anti-lgbt bill. Our right-wing legislature wasn't smart enough to learn from Indiana's job losses. Let's see if Alabama's legislature is lured by the opportunity to go after the lgbt community or hold on to jobs.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 AM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I realize that the bill takes away so much more from LGBT community but I had the same exact thought.

I wonder how many times a transgender has already been in the ladies room with me. I've never paid attention and I'm sure it's happened many times. Nothing ever happened to me or my child.

Why is the media playing up this aspect of it and not the rest of it which is more important.
I couldn't tell you how many times I have been in the bathroom with transgender women, but I've been aware of it later, a few dozen times, when it struck me that that woman in the bathroom was jittery & very anxious to get out. They almost never speak. If you say hello, they nod & smile & make a dash for the door.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Pay Pal is really not that great of a company, so thats no big deal. They werent even in Charlotte yet with those jobs.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:06 PM

69 posts, read 73,355 times
Yeah, 400 jobs paying an average of $51,000 is "no big deal". That's only $20,000,000 in salaries. Again, "no big deal".

Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Pay Pal is really not that great of a company, so thats no big deal. They werent even in Charlotte yet with those jobs.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:38 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
Yeah, 400 jobs paying an average of $51,000 is "no big deal". That's only $20,000,000 in salaries. Again, "no big deal".
It probably isn't a big deal to folks who don't have the qualifications for it.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, it's a good thing to be standing up against discriminatory laws. There should be more of this on all social issues to say the least. The only irony is Atlanta just evaded such a similar embarrassment less than 2 weeks ago with a gubernatorial veto.
The mayor should mind his business which is the city of Atlanta. Mayor reed has been such a failure.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It probably isn't a big deal to folks who don't have the qualifications for it.
Do you have the qualifications?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM

181 posts, read 338,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
Google this company as if you were looking to invest your hard earned money in their stock.

They have major problems. Business practices. Fines. Apple and Amazon about to eat their lunch. Will they still be in business in 2020?

The average pay at PayPal is $75,000. They were only going to average $50,000 in NC. Cost cutting beginning?

When were they hiring these people? How much was it going to cost NC taxpayers for them to move here?

What is their stock price and its expectations for the next year?

Look at all of this and then decide if it is a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte