U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-05-2016, 02:43 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,646,626 times
Reputation: 6988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Sunny - are you going to admit you were wrong, or are these statements false?
Sunny is in fact wrong. The State does not have to have state-wide anti-discrimination policies for cities, counties, and local jurisdictions to add protection above the level of the state. There are about 300 cities and counties in the U.S. that provide anti-discrimination laws on the basis sexual orientation and gender identity, and not all of those cities or counties are in states that provide that protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,991 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Red venturs is considering pulling out of their expansion into the university area.
It's going to have to hit places besides Charlotte before the buffoons in Raleigh give a rat's patoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,646,626 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
So what is wrong with the NC bill besides the restroom portion? I keep reading that this bill had other important issues that are being overlooked?
See my previous post. The law repealed all existing anti-discrimination laws in places like Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh, and prevents any future laws from being passed protecting LGBT people anywhere in the state. It essentially allows any NC citizen, business, or government entity to refuse gay people from their businesses, hotels, restaurants, colleges, employment, housing etc. without question. Much like the "Whites Only" sign on many businesses in the 60s.

The bathroom issue attached to the bill is really just a cover up. It's easier to garner support if you push it as protecting people from the plethora of transsexuals trying to go into the bathroom of their identity. "Oh no, we can't let biological men, who identify as female enter the women's bathroom! We must pass a bill and put a stop to this evil!"

Meanwhile, while everyone is focused on that tiny little issue that affects probably less than 1% of the population, they slipped in a complete removal of all LGBT rights in the state, and banned any future attempts to provide those rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM
 
3,416 posts, read 3,225,775 times
Reputation: 3853
North Carolina Law May Risk Federal Aid

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/02....google.com%2F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
3,679 posts, read 1,416,126 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
North Carolina Law May Risk Federal Aid

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/02....google.com%2F
Guess whose going to have to pay the difference?! US!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 02:54 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,646,626 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Elon Musk dumped them for a reason. Pay Pal is full of fraud and my of their users have been hacked or identity taken at some point in time. Charlotte can do much better than Pay Pal. Charlotte is great city and North Carolina is a great state, both will be just fine. I wouldnt worry until companies started to spend money to move ESTABLISHED jobs, not jobs that didnt exist yet.
You mean like removing the entertainment industry from the State? That's going to hurt. Not to mention potentially losing billions in federal aid money. If banking, entertainment, tourism, and federal aid get majorly affected, what exactly does NC have to fall back on that isn't going to be hit by this decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
3,679 posts, read 1,416,126 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You mean like removing the entertainment industry from the State? That's going to hurt. Not to mention potentially losing billions in federal aid money. If banking, entertainment, tourism, and federal aid get majorly affected, what exactly does NC have to fall back on that isn't going to be hit by this decision?
The Chamber already said that this is having immediate effects with tourism already. LBGT friendly Asheville will not do good this year. I'm almost certain real estate will suffer losses as growth stalls. Feel like this state in facing a hurricane it can't avoid. If the governor holds fast on this law until November, it could take decades to right the damage this law is causing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 03:06 PM
 
18,157 posts, read 11,139,458 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
See my previous post. The law repealed all existing anti-discrimination laws in places like Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh, and prevents any future laws from being passed protecting LGBT people anywhere in the state. It essentially allows any NC citizen, business, or government entity to refuse gay people from their businesses, hotels, restaurants, colleges, employment, housing etc. without question. Much like the "Whites Only" sign on many businesses in the 60s.

The bathroom issue attached to the bill is really just a cover up. It's easier to garner support if you push it as protecting people from the plethora of transsexuals trying to go into the bathroom of their identity. "Oh no, we can't let biological men, who identify as female enter the women's bathroom! We must pass a bill and put a stop to this evil!"

Meanwhile, while everyone is focused on that tiny little issue that affects probably less than 1% of the population, they slipped in a complete removal of all LGBT rights in the state, and banned any future attempts to provide those rights.
Exactly. Maybe they hoped people wouldn't notice the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,416 posts, read 4,835,645 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You mean like removing the entertainment industry from the State? That's going to hurt. Not to mention potentially losing billions in federal aid money. If banking, entertainment, tourism, and federal aid get majorly affected, what exactly does NC have to fall back on that isn't going to be hit by this decision?
its sad big businesses doesn't care for the well being of blacks and Latinos, but they make all these threats when the gays have hurt feelings. Which is what all of this truly about. Hurt feelings. I always figured the gays out ranked blacks and latinos in social status, but I never had proof until now. Gay people are rooting for businesses to leave NC, how can you live somewhere and wish for its downfall because your special interest group is not fully accepted? Why not move to where you are accepted? That's what I would do if I lived somewhere that didn't like me. The world is a big place. I'd rather be in places I'm comfortable in. Props to North Carolina leadership for doing the right thing though. The business that don't have true love and bond with the state. Let them leave, they were going to leave anyway. Final
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 05:16 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,991 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
its sad big businesses doesn't care for the well being of blacks and Latinos, but they make all these threats when the gays have hurt feelings. Which is what all of this truly about. Hurt feelings. I always figured the gays out ranked blacks and latinos in social status, but I never had proof until now. Gay people are rooting for businesses to leave NC, how can you live somewhere and wish for its downfall because your special interest group is not fully accepted? Why not move to where you are accepted? That's what I would do if I lived somewhere that didn't like me. The world is a big place. I'd rather be in places I'm comfortable in. Props to North Carolina leadership for doing the right thing though. The business that don't have true love and bond with the state. Let them leave, they were going to leave anyway. Final
What planet are you on? Find where it says that gay people are rooting for businesses to leave the state.

I also assume that you're just fine that no resident of NC can file suit for any form of discrimination in the state courts.

I also assume that you're good with no rights at all for lgbt citizens.

That's the law that you're cheering for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top