U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM

570 posts, read 545,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
I am confused by PayPal's decision... Considering they continue do business in over 20 countries that Homosexual behavior is illegal, I wonder why they singled out North Carolina. hhmmm...
Because North Carolina is in the United States and this country has moved beyond those kinds of attitudes. PayPal wants the ability to attract all the best talent it can in this country. PayPal has its own anti-discrimination corporate policies which the North Carolina law makes impossible to enforce. Being in a state where those policies cannot be enacted could dissuade potential recruits from joining their team. PayPal has other options in this country for running its business where state laws will not impact its ability to exercise its internal policies and to attract all the best talent, so they have opted to move their business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 PM

372 posts, read 564,326 times
However, if PayPal, Pepsi, Apple, American, and others are denouncing the law, then they should make a stand; stop selling Pepsi and IPads in NC, Paypal shoud stop online accounts from NC, AA should close the CLT hub and pull all flights out of NC.....

Big talk from these companies, but they sure won't hesitate to keep selling their product in NC

Old 04-07-2016, 04:21 AM

398 posts, read 370,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
However, if PayPal, Pepsi, Apple, American, and others are denouncing the law, then they should make a stand; stop selling Pepsi and IPads in NC, Paypal shoud stop online accounts from NC, AA should close the CLT hub and pull all flights out of NC.....

Big talk from these companies, but they sure won't hesitate to keep selling their product in NC
Do you not understand the difference between a company offering their service to the residents of a state or country, and making an investment in a physical location in a state or country? The former does not benefit the government, the latter does.

PayPal offering Cuba's citizens access to their service actually encourages capitalism, and further weakens the governments grip, for example.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM

18,175 posts, read 11,150,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post

You don't have to buy it. They can sell it, they just won't give you jobs in North Carolina because you keep enacting laws like HB2 and trying to disguise it as a "bathroom law". The South is doing this over and over, state by state and pretty soon, all you guys will be wondering why so few companies move there and why all the money is in other places like the west coast.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM

464 posts, read 411,943 times
Let me say this. Discrimination of any kind is dishonorable and shouldn't be tolerated. I don't care what continent, country, state, or city it is. This World needs a wake-up call, not just NC. This is why I don't do politics.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,532,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You don't have to buy it. They can sell it, they just won't give you jobs in North Carolina because you keep enacting laws like HB2 and trying to disguise it as a "bathroom law". The South is doing this over and over, state by state and pretty soon, all you guys will be wondering why so few companies move there and why all the money is in other places like the west coast.
The West Coast has these types of laws in Arizona and Idaho

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-a...-statutes.aspx

Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
Discrimnation has always been a fabric of NC unfortunately, its nothing new, things could be worse, this just happened in Morroco. https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...23882/?fref=nf

Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 AM

398 posts, read 370,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Let me say this. Discrimination of any kind is dishonorable and shouldn't be tolerated. I don't care what continent, country, state, or city it is. This World needs a wake-up call, not just NC. This is why I don't do politics.
That makes no sense. If you "don't do politics" then you're part of the problem, not the solution, because the only practical solution to discrimination is political.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

10,691 posts, read 11,330,411 times
Just saw this news story on a woman suing for age discrimination who got caught up in the HB 2 law.

NC woman suing for age discrimination gets caught up in HB2 bill fallout | WNCN

Old 04-07-2016, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,721 times
I think the whole PayPal not moving to Charlotte anymore is ridiculous over this new law and is a publicity stunt. This is coming from the company that has overseas locations in countries where ANY act of homosexuality is illegal and some are punishable by death (Iran). Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or