U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 08:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,432,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Facepalm
It seems I misread the "or" in your post as "of". Easy to do on a phone.

However, the article quoted does not say if it was or was not in protest.

"The man's protest, if that's what it was, hurts the greater cause, Shank says."

Perhaps we are both equally deserving of a facepalm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

398 posts, read 369,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
And the 400 employees that would have had jobs there do not buy any goods and services either, so who needs them.
You're totally missing my point.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:40 AM

398 posts, read 369,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I was referring to your response to the other poster about if companies really wanted to make a stand, they should stop selling their products in NC.
I never said anything about companies not selling their products in NC. I commented on the difference between PayPal opening an office in NC, and offering their service in Cuba, something another poster doesn't grasp.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 PM

5,882 posts, read 7,735,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
I never said anything about companies not selling their products in NC. I commented on the difference between PayPal opening an office in NC, and offering their service in Cuba, something another poster doesn't grasp.
Ok, thought it sounded that way. This is what I was commenting on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
However, if PayPal, Pepsi, Apple, American, and others are denouncing the law, then they should make a stand; stop selling Pepsi and IPads in NC, Paypal shoud stop online accounts from NC, AA should close the CLT hub and pull all flights out of NC.....

Big talk from these companies, but they sure won't hesitate to keep selling their product in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Do you not understand the difference between a company offering their service to the residents of a state or country, and making an investment in a physical location in a state or country? The former does not benefit the government, the latter does.
I thought by "offering a service" you were including selling a product. Whenever Apple sells and iPad in NC, the NC government makes money.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:34 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
On August 28, 1963, during the peak of the civil rights movement, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King gave us these enduring words:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

The Suffragettes of the early 1900's would probably have applauded Dr. King's words loudly, as those words were in lock-step with their struggle for equal rights for women. Before them, Irish people fought for equal rights from the British crown as only Protestants could have full rights under the law. Those Irishmen urged their American brethren to stand against the slavery of the black African.

Even today, Bangladesh & Pakistani workers in Saudi Arabia are treated like slaves, India is slowly emerging from a centuries old cast system. In Japan, Okinawans, Chinese, and Koreans regularly cry discrimination. In the Middle East, Israelis clash with Palestinians, and Muslim woman are typically treated like possessions rather than people. In vast areas of South America, indigenous people are excluded from the more affluent areas, better jobs, even healthcare.

Then there is the more subtle discrimination of people with tattoos, piercings, baldness, pink hair, fat, short, bad teeth, too old, too young, too white, or have accents not from around here.

The common thread that weaves through all of these people, across the centuries, and around the world, whether bandied on cardboard signs, litigated, or just held in the recesses of their mind, is the loud and clear battle cry:

Treat me as an equal! Judge me by the content of my character!

Roll ahead to 2016. NC passes the law known as HB2 (House Bill 2). News media, celebrities, the NBA, and others have quickly tagged this bill as "Anti-Gay", and a "hate bill". If you simply read the headlines you could think maybe Adolph Hitler wrote this bill himself. I mean, with all of the “hate language” and anti-gay phrases, this bill must certainly be the stuff of the Nazi party.

The media LOVES this because "NEWS FLASH", your Local TV station, newspaper, talk radio, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, are ALL 'For Profit' entities. They get paid by selling advertisements, and the amount they can charge for those advertisements is directly proportional to their ratings. Inflammatory headlines get people worked up, and worked up people watch, read, & listen.

So forget the big media outlets, let's keep this personal...

First, "Have you read HB2 for yourself?" I suspect 99.5% have not. All NC Bills are public domain and easy to find via Google – just Google “NC HB2” and skip the media stuff. It’s a 5-page PDF so you can read it on any device. Yes, it has some very long, complicated legal language, but overall, not too hard to read.

Read it for yourself, and see if you agree or disagree with me. There are two major sections. (1) Bathroom usage, and (2) who is protected under the law when it comes to employment discrimination. Maybe I missed it, but I did not find ANY hate language.

The first is easy (in my mind). In case you have forgotten, in the privacy of your own home, drop your drawers. If you have an outtie use the men's room. If you have an innie use the ladies room. If you had elective surgery to change your innie to an outtie or vise versa, be sure to have your birth certificate updated to match your innie/outtie status. If you have a sexual or clothing preference (I like jeans and a T-Shirt), that's YOUR business, not mine, not your employers, and not your workmates. When you need to use the restroom, refer to your innie / outtie status above. I don’t mean to be silly here, but come on, it’s pretty common sense.

Now for the "Who is protected under the law" part. NC included the word "biological" to more clearly define "sex". Here is the tricky part. Regardless of your preferences, choices, or affiliations, and aside from very very few exceptions in nature, EVERYONE is either Male or Female, and you have a birth certificate to document this status. The law says you cannot be discriminated against based on this status.

Everyone is IN. Everyone is covered! No one is EXCLUDED!

If you listen closely, I think you'll hear a freakin-zillion Bangladesheans, Irish Catholics, Palestinians, Suffragettes, Indigenous Peoples, and maybe Dr King himself, cheering your victory! Finally, everyone gets equal treatment under the law. No special rules for woman, no Blacks to the back of the bus, no poverty wages for Irish textile workers, no separate-but-equal bathrooms for LGBT. Everyone is the same, and NOW, the "Content of your Character" is the differentiator.

“But wait!”, many of you will say! The issue is that the law did not extend protections “specifically to lesbians, gays, bi-sexuals, and transvestites”. It sure didn’t. You are already INCLUDED in the biological-sex part. A careful read and you will notice that it ALSO did not “specifically” list:
- People that have sex only with themselves
- People that don’t have sex
- People that have sex with animals
- People who are Redskins fans
- People who are Bald (trust me – they get discriminated against all the time!)

Why? Because EVERYBODY is already INCLUDED. Just like the Suffragettes, Negroes of the 1960’s, Chinese railroad works of the 1800’s, and many more around the world, people that are LGBT should not WANT to be a special class of people. So many before you fought, some died, to eliminate this kind of special class distinction and the separate treatment that comes along with it.

So every good marketer should include a "Call to Action". Here's mine...

Stop waiting for the government to tell you how to act. (Yeah I'm talking to you ESPN, NBA, PAYPAL, and Bruce Stringsteen). The State of NC wants you to treat everyone the same. You can start by dealing with your own prejudices, biases, and bigotry (we all have them, yes me included).

Let's start with an arms race. That's right. An arms race. Most of us have two of them. If you're a Democrat, use those arms to hug a Republican, Republicans, hug a Democrat. Independents, hug everyone. Hug a gay person, hug an old person, fat person, a bald person. Hug that guy down the hall that really pisses you off. If you are not the "huggy" type, do the one-armed-side-hug thing, if you are the "huggy" type, go in for the full frontal hug. Hug ten people this week. Then if you have the chance, stop talking and listen. Give a hug and listen for even 5 minutes, and I'll bet you will notice a difference (caveat - might depend on who they are and what they are talking about - but give it a shot

I'm serious! If we would all stop bitchin' and moanin' and start taking some personal responsibility with our own issues, and start lovin' people, how much better would the world be? If you are LGBT, use the right bathroom, and do your job better than anyone. If you are good, you will earn your keep (just ask Elton John). If "the man" doesn't want you around and you are the best at what you do, you'll be fine. If you're terrible at what you do, get better.

In closing..
"I have a dream that my friends, family, and neighbors will one day live in a world where they are only judged by the content of their character."

Peace!
Beautifully posted! Beautifully indeed!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 AM

5,117 posts, read 1,818,745 times
why cant we keep the stupid out west in california?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM

4,604 posts, read 3,017,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
why cant we keep the stupid out west in california?
Because everybody hates Triple H since he's one of the biggest heels (bad guys) in wrestling history.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,116,135 times
Have you guys watched this video

'Show Your ID to Pee' Video Goes Viral in Wake of Anti-LGBT NC Law: WATCH - Towleroad

Old 04-11-2016, 03:59 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
Not trying to get flamed or start a fight, but I am mystified. And I understand HB2 is much more than about bathrooms.

I will fess up, up front, that I never really contemplated peoples' pooping/peeing habits, locations, in fact anything about the processes.

There used to be a septic tank cleaner just north of Spencer. He called his vehicle the "honeydew wagon" and his motto was, "I will keep my nose out of your business, if you keep your nose out of my business." I feel the same way.

Here is my question. Before the Charlotte ordinance and then HB2, what did transgender folks do, or should I say, where did they go?

i don't follow this kind of news, closely, but I am unaware of any issues, probably because I don't care, but ... if nothing was broke, why did Charlotte try to fix it? Were there issues, were enforcers on patrol?

Seems to me, from a distance, the whole bathroom think was under the radar, and then....KaBoom!

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM

537 posts, read 551,511 times
I guess some people take joy in amplifying negative NC news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or