Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 12:51 PM

547 posts, read 766,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The Greensboro Coliseum estimates about a $100,000 loss of NET revenue...

Then they should take Bruce to court to get compensated for him breaking a contractual commitment. Anyways the people that would have paid to see him will spend that money on something else in NC (food, beer, clothes etc) and so no loss to the state, just to Bruce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 01:10 PM

398 posts, read 493,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Two things:

(1) If Deutsche Bank can't justify doing business in an area that doesn't respect human rights how can they possibly be comfortable having their HQ in a country that doesn't respect free political speech?

REUTERS - Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Friday that Germany had accepted a request from Turkey to seek prosecution of a German comedian who read out a sexually crude poem about Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on German television.

(2) If HB2 is so wrong, why is there no uproar that employment protections for LGBT have not been enacted at a federal level? Any company that is boycotting Charlotte should be boycotting the United States.
As of July, 2015, it is:

"The EEOC's decision in Baldwin v. Dep't of Transportation, EEOC Appeal No. 0120133080 (July 15, 2015) holds that discrimination on the basis of a person's sexual orientation is discrimination because of sex."

https://www.eeoc.gov/federal/directi...processing.cfm

Old 04-15-2016, 01:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,454,965 times
That game ain't going anywhere. Never thought it would.

NBA: 'No discussion' of moving All-Star Game from Charlotte - | WBTV Charlotte

Old 04-15-2016, 01:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,517,673 times
These two links provide a good fact vs. fiction on HB2:

This one is slanted more negatively towards HB2
Sifting Through The Facts On House Bill 2 | WUNC

This one is slanded more positively towards HB2
‘Myths vs Facts’ about House Bill 2 released by NC Gov. Pat McCrory’s office | myfox8.com

Both are factual though. The BIGGEST thing that admittedly got lost for me in all this was we lost the right to sue for discrimination at the state level - that is bad, VERY BAD...

Quote:
From a statewide perspective, the law also eliminates a legal option for residents. Previously, they were able to file a state lawsuit over a discriminatory firing. That is no longer an option. Many opponents of HB2 have said this is the more significant issue in play, and eliminates recourse for people who face discrimination. Supporters of HB2 contend that employees still have the option of filing suit in federal court. While this is true, federal courts have a shorter statute of limitations for such claims.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM

1,504 posts, read 844,569 times
Hetrophobia has run rampant.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:04 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,553,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Ever heard of a "dry county"? Stores such as groceries or convenience stores that sell beer have to alter their rules from one county to another in NC. Somehow they have managed.

That is NOT what the Charlotte law would have allowed. NOT.

The "pervs" everyone is afraid of are HETEROSEXUAL MALES. How is the LGBT community coming out as the demons in this issue when they aren't even the ones who would pose any danger (and even most who support the "bathroom bill" part of it will agree)? Answer: this whole thing was staged by the far Right to do exactly that, knowing that the less-educated would latch onto the one most inflammatory part of the bill and support it, having no idea what ELSE they were actually supporting. GLBT people have been thrown under the bus for political purposes pretty much since society was aware they existed; this is nothing new despite growing tolerance by the general population. And here, an issue where heterosexual males are the problem has somehow been spun to be the fault of GLBT people. Welcome to The NC GOP's world of demonizing minorities.
My only concern is lockerrooms where people undress.. that could get a little tricky.

However, all this talk about pervs attacking people in the bathroom. We already have laws for that criminal activity. How many kids have been attacked in bathrooms the last 30 years?

and how many criminals do you know who wait for a law to change so they can take break it to attack someone?

it's a silly argument. my co-worker keeps talking about how afraid she is for her kids. The funny thing is one of her kids is 18 and has/had serious issues with drugs and friends who were dealers and the other kid is a huge 15 year old.

where is this fear coming from? how many of us have had crazy interactions in the bathroom?

Trans people have been going to the bathroom next to us for who knows how long and it was never a problem. How would you regulate it? Are they going to hire people to check genitals before they go into the bathroom?

it's silly season in NC. Honestly, Charlotte deserves blame as well. No need to wake up the wingnuts in Raleigh who always look for ways to make small government bigger because they care...lol.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:55 AM

4,138 posts, read 11,444,228 times
I am going to ask a dumb question. Please don't jump all over me.

What was going on before there were any laws or rules about the bathroom? Didn't those who were transgender just go to the bathroom they felt comfortable with and no one made a big deal about it, particularly if they were in transition and it wasn't obvious they weren't born with the gender bathroom they went to?

Who started the whole needing a law thing?

Old 04-16-2016, 05:57 AM

4,138 posts, read 11,444,228 times
Another thing, and this may have been mentioned already.......

This is causing issues with special needs individuals. Women caregivers (parents or helpers) are not allowed to take males with special needs into the women's restroom anymore. My cousin, who has a 16 year old Down's Syndrome son, is very upset. She takes him in anyway, but she is upset that there is a law that says she isn't supposed to.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:36 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,667,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The Greensboro Coliseum estimates about a $100,000 loss of NET revenue...

Don't be a victim of the hype. A $100,000 loss of revenue for the Coliseum is not a loss of that amount for either Greensboro or NC. Yeah, maybe some loser from Roanoke will not spend his money in NC, but most that would have attended, will.

I am against HB2, but I am also against entertainers trying to impose their "positions" on the rest of us. Most are pretty stupid, if truth be known.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:50 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,440,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Another thing, and this may have been mentioned already.......

This is causing issues with special needs individuals. Women caregivers (parents or helpers) are not allowed to take males with special needs into the women's restroom anymore. My cousin, who has a 16 year old Down's Syndrome son, is very upset. She takes him in anyway, but she is upset that there is a law that says she isn't supposed to.
HB2 will be McCrory's undoing. He's tied himself to it.

You make a good point. A related point is what do people do with feeble/handicapped family members? They have to pee, too.

I'm a boomer. I've stated repeatedly how insane the bathroom portion of this bill is. I know darned well that I've shared facilities with trans people for decades. I never realized it at the time. It was always a matter of the lightbulb coming on later.

I ended up in a conversation with a man, also a boomer, at Ingles yesterday evening. He brought up the topic. I responded honestly. His response surprised me. He said that he totally agreed that the bathroom portion of the law was a smokescreen. He had worked with a man who transitioned to a woman, years ago. He understood the situation that the trans people are in, especially if they transition while employed at one employer. Here's the surprise. The man who I was talking to thought that HB2 is so crazy that it was a sign that the apocalypse is coming. This is obviously not the audience that the Republicans were trying to alienate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte