U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 AM

294 posts, read 170,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Don't be a victim of the hype. A $100,000 loss of revenue for the Coliseum is not a loss of that amount for either Greensboro or NC. Yeah, maybe some loser from Roanoke will not spend his money in NC, but most that would have attended, will.

I am against HB2, but I am also against entertainers trying to impose their "positions" on the rest of us. Most are pretty stupid, if truth be known.

And how would you recommend getting the law changed and or repealed? Ask for a meeting with GOP lawmakers and ask them to reconsider? Voters and Money are the only things they will listen to. At some point they will probably act. Yes things could die down but things could get a lot worse as well. Its their decision. Right now its a constant drip drip drip. Every day another small headline that add up to big headlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,923,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Don't be a victim of the hype. A $100,000 loss of revenue for the Coliseum is not a loss of that amount for either Greensboro or NC. Yeah, maybe some loser from Roanoke will not spend his money in NC, but most that would have attended, will.

I am against HB2, but I am also against entertainers trying to impose their "positions" on the rest of us. Most are pretty stupid, if truth be known.

Who ended up playing that not instead of Springsteen?

That's a real loss for people running service businesses in Greensboro that night. How many folks from out of town do you figure were coming to that concert? That's hotel rooms cancelled, dinners out not eaten, parking not paid for, etc.

Did most of the $$$ stay in NC? Probably. That doesn't help the Coliseum or local Greensboro businesses, though.

Further, my point was in direct response to the mod cut who said "It only impacts Springsteen". It obviously does not.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-19-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,923,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Then they should take Bruce to court to get compensated for him breaking a contractual commitment. Anyways the people that would have paid to see him will spend that money on something else in NC (food, beer, clothes etc) and so no loss to the state, just to Bruce.
I'm sure if they have any legal recourse, they'll look into it.

No loss in tax revenue to the state? Maybe so. That's hardly the same as saying this doesn't impact anyone but Springsteen.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,287,558 times
Quote:
Then they should take Bruce to court to get compensated for him breaking a contractual commitment. Anyways the people that would have paid to see him will spend that money on something else in NC (food, beer, clothes etc) and so no loss to the state, just to Bruce.
That's not going to happen. I see you do not have a clear understanding of contract law. Entertainers and performers cancel concerts all the time. What they do lose is the deposits that are put down on the venues.

How the concert goers spend their money is irrelevant. What is relevant is the out of state visitors who canceled their travel plans, the hotel/motel bookings canceled, the lost revenue to nearby restaurants and T-shirt vendors, etc., the lost tax revenue.

It's not just about Springstreen. How about Ringo Starr? Three performances by Cirque du Soleil? Pearl Jam?

What about the conventions and conferences that have been canceled?

Today the president of Duke University penned a strongly worded letter to Governor McCrory insisting on the repeal of HB2 in it's entirety.

It amazes me how some people are in denial about the economic consequences of this (HB2) disastrous piece of legislation.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 PM

537 posts, read 547,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
That's not going to happen. I see you do not have a clear understanding of contract law. Entertainers and performers cancel concerts all the time. What they do lose is the deposits that are put down on the venues.

How the concert goers spend their money is irrelevant. What is relevant is the out of state visitors who canceled their travel plans, the hotel/motel bookings canceled, the lost revenue to nearby restaurants and T-shirt vendors, etc., the lost tax revenue.

It's not just about Springstreen. How about Ringo Starr? Three performances by Cirque du Soleil? Pearl Jam?

What about the conventions and conferences that have been canceled?

Today the president of Duke University penned a strongly worded letter to Governor McCrory insisting on the repeal of HB2 in it's entirety.

It amazes me how some people are in denial about the economic consequences of this (HB2) disastrous piece of legislation.
No impact to the state. They'll spend their money on something else in NC. Oh wait. Did you say Ringo Starr cancelled? I take back everything. NC is doomed. Seriously you can't be serious.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
No impact to the state. They'll spend their money on something else in NC. Oh wait. Did you say Ringo Starr cancelled? I take back everything. NC is doomed. Seriously you can't be serious.
This must be Pat M. Who else could possibly think that all the concerts, conventions, lost jobs and international negative perception is no problem. You really believe that? REALLY????

Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 870,409 times
I do not think the problem is with the Ls, Gs, or Bs; it is the Ts. Most women do not want men in public restrooms.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I do not think the problem is with the Ls, Gs, or Bs; it is the Ts. Most women do not want men in public restrooms.

Would you google transgender men and next transgender women and then go to images and maybe you can pick which ones you want to go where.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 PM

537 posts, read 547,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
This must be Pat M. Who else could possibly think that all the concerts, conventions, lost jobs and international negative perception is no problem. You really believe that? REALLY????
There are over 10 million people living in NC with an economic impact of over $100billion (wild guess) and you think a canceled concert will derail this train? Wishful thinking on your part.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 PM
NDL

3,115 posts, read 3,607,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
My only concern is lockerrooms where people undress.. that could get a little tricky.
I agree.

So then, do you favor Charlotte's action, or the Governor's action?

The issue at hand, is making *mandatory* a patron's usage in *all* facilities.

If a private business wants to dictate policies that I don't agree with, I am free to frequent a business that does.

But when you make policy mandatory...

The shower room/locker mandate is a bit sketchy.

Patrons that don't agree with the shower room mandate would have to frequent facilities outside of the City.

Is there any poster that thinks that this is a reasonable demand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or